So I get a lot of "noise" or "hum" or "buzz" when I play, and I don't know if it's because I am a sloppy player or if my pickup needs to be replaced. I have an Austin (I know, crappy brand) Telecaster with a single coil pickup and bridge, running through a Boss DS-1 to my Orange Crush 15R amp with Live Wire 15ft cables.

I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on when a guitarist knows he needs to replace pickups. I'm not sure if I need to replace my pickups or if I need to get a noise suppressor. Any tips would help, and here are some pictures of my pickup:

and

That stuff you see on it won't wipe off either.
Last edited by k4rma at Jun 20, 2008,
Can you tell us anything more specific than "noise"?

Is it humming, strings ringing out, buzzing? Static?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Can you tell us anything more specific than "noise"?

Is it humming, strings ringing out, buzzing? Static?

I can tell you for sure it's not static.

I'm going to say it sounded more like the strings ringing out or hum (if they can sound the same! :P) than buzzing or static.
Well, as they're single coil pickups, you'll always have some 60 cycle hum coming through the amp, it's just the way the pickups are. String noise isn't to do with pickups, closest thing that I can think of to that that could be pickup-related are wolf notes, which is when your pickup's too close to the strings and causes odd harmonics to ring out (I think that's it anyway >_>.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
it sounds like bad single coil hum, you might want to replace it with a noiseless pickup, fender makes some, as do seymour duncan and dimarzio
Pickups don't "wear out" or anything like that - doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with them to be honest. The buzzing is simply a consequence of having a cheap guitar running through cheap distortion pedal into a cheap solid state amp...there's no point wasting your money on stuff like new pickups and noise supressors.

Just concentrate on saving your money with a view to improving the key elements of your rig, namely getting a better amp and better guitar later down the line.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you're handy with a soldering iron, shielding your guitar will help a lot.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I masturbated in front of a mirror and I pretended Bob Barker was giving me a handjob.

Quote by Bazilisck311

You know you're a guitar player if the pianist at your wedding plays "Eruption"
Well, actually, older pickups do need to be repotted in wax after a while, but I doubt that's the reason in your case. First of all, you're using single coils pickups, which don't cut any 60hz hum like humbuckers. Try it. Shut off all the nearby lights and you'll notice a decrease in the noise. Second, the ds-1 is a naturally pretty noisy pedal. If you're that concerned, you could take your guitar to a shop and have them shield it or properly ground it, but a simpler option would be a noise suppressor.
Shiny metallic purple armor.
Quote by MmmCesium
If you're handy with a soldering iron, shielding your guitar will help a lot.

+1. It's not hard.
guitarnuts.com has a guide, and you can get copper foil tape from stewmac.com.

Quote by Paper Snowman
Well, actually, older pickups do need to be repotted in wax after a while.

Why is this, exactly? I've never heard this, so I'd like to hear more..
To reiterate what others have said, if it's an electronic 60 cycle hum, it's simply because you're guitar has single coil pickups. Nature of the beast. Could be worse.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by forsaknazrael

Why is this, exactly? I've never heard this, so I'd like to hear more..

Once the original wax is gone on a pickup, it becomes microphonic and will start to cause wild screeching feedback (Like a micrpophone does) and will hum very loudly. When a pickup is potted, wax coats the pickup and is absorbed into the coils, which stablizes the parts from moving around and causing feedback.
Shiny metallic purple armor.
Quote by forsaknazrael
...Right...and why would the original wax just disappear?

Mr Miyagi stole it to train Ralph Macchio?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by k4rma
Sweet guys, thanks for the info.

I have one question though. Most of you guys have stated that my single coil pickups don't cut any 60hz hum, so assuming that that is the problem, if I got a Seymour Duncan JB Jr Pickup (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-JB-Jr-Pickup?sku=300500) would that possibly cut out the 60hz hum?

Not gonna fit in your Tele's routing, though.

If you like your Tele's twang, you'd need to check out a hum cancelling single coil like this:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/telecaster/cutting-edge/vintage_stack_f/

If you DO want a fatter kind of humbucker tone, get one that fits a Tele.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/telecaster/cutting-edge/little_59_for_t/
I assume your Tele is basically routed and has the same hardware as a Fender Tele.