Some people may flame me for not putting this under Gear & Accessories, but i'm going to post this under the bass thread anyways. I'll prolly get better feedback.

Anyways, i'm looking to purchase a bass wah pedal that's more suited to metal and also melodic stuff rather than funk. I don't mind one that does both (funk & metal), but the metal sound is what i'm going primarily for. I need something suitable for playing stuff like "The Call Of Ktulu" & the wah section in "Schism". I have a Boss overdrive pedal, so something suited to that will do nicely.

I'm interested in this dunlop pedal, but from the sound samples, i'm afraid i'll get more of a funk sound. I've heard the quality of morley pedals are lesser, but they're still suited to more of a rock/metal sound. Anyone with personal experience have a good opinion on either?
The dual bass wah by Morley has switch so you can choose a funk setting or a standard setting. On the standard setting it's less vocal and more of a tone control, which I think is more what you're after. I also find wahs sound less vocal with a lower input level. Maybe a compressor or a subtle overdrive before a wah would get more of the sound you're after.
I have the Dunlop 105Q and it is very versatile, not just a funk machine. Timmy C from Rage Against the Machine uses one (or two!) and they aren't exactly funk. I could upload some clips for you if you wanted.
Whats your budget? Because if you have a lot of money to spend I'd suggest a dual amp and a Crybaby gutiar wah with distortion.

Your higher amp doesn't have to be as expensive as your main amp. It will be blasting treble (gutiar range) frequencies so it will cut through a ****ton better than a bass amp. So it doesn't need to have as high a wattage.
Quote by d K A p S

Yeah.
Snarling dogs wil geve u br00tul \m/etal wah tonnes
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Fast_Bear
Whats your budget? Because if you have a lot of money to spend I'd suggest a dual amp and a Crybaby gutiar wah with distortion.

Your higher amp doesn't have to be as expensive as your main amp. It will be blasting treble (gutiar range) frequencies so it will cut through a ****ton better than a bass amp. So it doesn't need to have as high a wattage.

I'm looking to spend $200 tops, so that isn't really that feasible. Thanks anyways.

Quote by IndianRockStar
I have the Dunlop 105Q and it is very versatile, not just a funk machine. Timmy C from Rage Against the Machine uses one (or two!) and they aren't exactly funk. I could upload some clips for you if you wanted.

Go ahead & hook me up with some clips. If anybody could get me a sound clip or two from the Bootsy Collin's Sig Pedal, much appreciated!
Quote by Fast_Bear

In my experience, this doesn't happen, nothing happens, you get almost 0 output from a guitar wah with a bass.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
In my experience, this doesn't happen, nothing happens, you get almost 0 output from a guitar wah with a bass.

Turn up your tone! Or get a more trebly bass!

I use a Crybaby guitar wah exclusively with bass!
Quote by Fast_Bear
Turn up your tone! Or get a more trebly bass!

I use a Crybaby guitar wah exclusively with bass!

Why not the bass version, which has a built in low pass filter. Surely that is more practical for people not biamping?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Fast_Bear

Do all of your solutions have bi amping involved?
Quote by hippiebass
Do all of your solutions have bi amping involved?

Yes

When I run out of food I split what I have into 2 piles, dividing them between tone. I then hook my bass up to both piles and using the sheer power of rock I create edibles inbetween the two piles.

Quote by gm jack
Why not the bass version, which has a built in low pass filter. Surely that is more practical for people not biamping?

edit LKAJSHDFKLJASDFAAAHHHH I need to learn to ****ing read. I NEED TO LEARN TO READ DAMNIT

Yes it is practical for the most part. Most wahs are band pass. (meaning they cut highs and lows) So unless the wah specificly states that its a low pass (cutting highs only) then yes it is very practical.
Last edited by Fast_Bear at Jun 22, 2008,
^I'm not sure if I'm understanding your setup correctly, but in my books, if you dont have a crossover, you're not bi-amping.

Secondly, I can't understand how using a wah with a low pass filter ISN'T practical for someone who ISN'T bi-amping. Triple negative much?

And finally, I own a 105Q, and I must say, I really think it's a straight up funk machine. I don't think it's that great for my purposes, let alone metal. To me, it's very, very quacky, even at a very low Q setting. Sounds like a manual envelope filter to me instead of a throaty wah.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
^I'm not sure if I'm understanding your setup correctly, but in my books, if you dont have a crossover, you're not bi-amping.

Secondly, I can't understand how using a wah with a low pass filter ISN'T practical for someone who ISN'T bi-amping. Triple negative much?

And finally, I own a 105Q, and I must say, I really think it's a straight up funk machine. I don't think it's that great for my purposes, let alone metal. To me, it's very, very quacky, even at a very low Q setting. Sounds like a manual envelope filter to me instead of a throaty wah.

Whell I don't use one. But I do EQ so it acts like a crossover. (cutting bass on treble channel, cutting treble on bass channel, etc etc etc.)

So you tell me. Its not 2 amps anymore (sadly, only 2 paralel channel amp)
Well, no, it's not TECHNICALLY a bi-amp, since turning down EQ bands isn't totally eliminating them. With a crossover, below and only below goes to one side, and above and only above the other. No overlap. It kills warmth with bass amps, but am not sure how it sounds with guitar amps.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
to answer the TS, the Bootsy Collins signature wah is a funk machine, untill you find the knob on the side labeled lo-mid-hi. set it to low, and crank your distortion (be it your boss pedal or the fuzz included in the wah pedal) and you should have what your looking for. If my recorder wasn't at my keyboardist's house, I'd post a clip.
Traben Array
2x Tech21 Sansamp RBI Bass preamps
450w Power Amp
2x Gallien-Krueger 410
-
Handmade nylon-string classical guitar
-
Jackson DXMG Dinky
Line 6 Spider 2 250w combo
-
Various Lee Oskar and Honer harmonicas
-
Yamaha YPT-310
The crybaby seems to have a tad too much funk for me. I'm pretty keen on that Booty Collins sig wah, though. Can anyone else get a clip of that?