I'm looking for a floyd technique, that creates this really fast vibrato effect. You can hear it in red shift riders by satriani (during those harmonics) and some notes in the solo of under a glass moon by dream theatre.

It sounds as if the bar is pushed down and then released, after which it still shoots up and down a bit afterwards. Like when you flick a ruler while pressing it down on a bench or something. I just want to know what this is called (and how it's done) and if it's possible on a vintage type tremelo.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
i would have to hear it, but it sounds as though you should just that exact thing with the bar as you would the ruler
just give a good, firm tap
Quote by kevin14u2nv
heck yeah its gonna be heavy its gonna be in Drop A tuning and the opening line of the CD will be like Worship god

and then the pope just does a freakin brutal breakdown
im not familiar with that dream theater song, but satch is really only pushing the whammy bar up and down in that song :s

he plays the pinch harmonic and then he pushes the whammy bar up and then releases. that's all
One technique is to put the bar pointing down from the body and karate chop the whammy bar. If you get really good at hammer-ons and pull-offs, do some of them and a fast sequence while karate chopping the whammy bar.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Turn the wammy bar so it faces away from the neck, pull up on the bar, then release.
sigh...
Quote by HeliuM
I'm looking for a floyd technique, that creates this really fast vibrato effect. You can hear it in red shift riders by satriani (during those harmonics) and some notes in the solo of under a glass moon by dream theatre.

It sounds as if the bar is pushed down and then released, after which it still shoots up and down a bit afterwards. Like when you flick a ruler while pressing it down on a bench or something. I just want to know what this is called (and how it's done) and if it's possible on a vintage type tremelo.

Lots of the crazier whammy effects won't be possible on a vintage-style trem; if it's not floating it can't raise pitch, and that really limits you.
Are you talking about Fluttering? if so, ya just Smack the Bar kinda Diagonally and it should Work. It wont sound the same on Vintage Trem though, but still useable.
I've heard it's called cricket or grasshopper technique i think... i do it by spinning the bar away from the neck and hitting it down on the end and letting my hand fall off the bar causing the bar to go back up and down rapidly
You can do it one of two ways. You can either point the bar towards the neck, and then gently slide your hand off of it as you apply downward pressure. You can also do it pointing away from the neck, a la Steve Vai. Note that you really need a trem bar that is tight and will stay still, otherwise it will be near impossible to keep control of the thing.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Ok thanks so it's called fluttering. Can this be done on any floyd style bridge? Like the ZR?
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Quote by HeliuM
Ok thanks so it's called fluttering. Can this be done on any floyd style bridge? Like the ZR?

You can't flutter on a ZR, it's got something to do with the way it returns to the Zero Point but it might be possible if you convert it to a fully floating, I don't know.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You can't flutter on a ZR, it's got something to do with the way it returns to the Zero Point but it might be possible if you convert it to a fully floating, I don't know.

you can. i've got an ibanez s470 and i can do that. of course it may require some adjusting the bridge to loosen up the tension or even increase it, but it's pretty possible.
Quote by RCalisto
you can. i've got an ibanez s470 and i can do that. of course it may require some adjusting the bridge to loosen up the tension or even increase it, but it's pretty possible.

Really? I could never get it to go right when I had the locking nut on mine...not that I ever use the tremolo anymore anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.