I used the search bar and couldn't find anything on how often a bass should be cleaned. Does anyone know? I've had my current bass since August of 2007 and I'm about to put some rotosounds on it Should I bother with cleaning the fretboard or anything or not? And btw, my fretboard is maple so does anyone know what to use for it?
You should definitely do it when you take your strings off if you haven't cleaned it since '07. I use rags and multipurpose cleaner on my maple fretboard and it does the job.
On my bass I just do it once in a while, but I use car wax on the body (lol I'm serious) it makes it realy shiny and slippery xD its great, usually clean it up once a week or so depending on if im gigging that night or anything.
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
Quote by Lasyk
On my bass I just do it once in a while, but I use car wax on the body (lol I'm serious) it makes it realy shiny and slippery xD its great, usually clean it up once a week or so depending on if im gigging that night or anything.

Make sure you buff off that excess. It's shouldn't really be slippy.
Never clean my guitars, see no real point. They just get dirty again!

Also the lemon oil debate scares me. Some say do some say don't.
I usually clean mine before I take it anywhere, so I guess about once a week. I just wipe it down with a damp rag. Damp, not wet. It works fine on the fretboard and everything. Then I just use Q-Tips around the pickups and bridge and stuff.
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
What if I use clorox disinfectant wipes to clean the fretboard? Oh, and they're lemon scented but I don't think it contains lemon oil...would that be alright?
What's wrong with using lemon oil to clean your fretboard? I've done it before because my old teacher told me it was what to do..

I have a black bass so i wipe it down everyday but i polish it every weekend.
Quote by hoppusfan182
What's wrong with using lemon oil to clean your fretboard? I've done it before because my old teacher told me it was what to do..

I have a black bass so i wipe it down everyday but i polish it every weekend.

You should never use lemon oil on maple. Lemon oil is for unlacquered woods only.
I clean mine either every other or every third string change. Is there a readily available oil/ cleaning solution that can be used on maple? I've always heard not to use lemon oil, but is there something less propriatary and expensive than special cleaning wipes?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You should never use lemon oil on maple. Lemon oil is for unlacquered woods only.

is it safe on rosewood? because that's what i do...

i hope i didn't mess anything up...
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by ooder the cow
Never clean my guitars, see no real point. They just get dirty again!

I hope you don't have the same mentality about showering.

I don't think I've ever actually cleaned my bass. Sometimes I wipe off the dust when I'm changing the strings, but that's about it.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
This is sort of off topic, but i didn't want to start a new post. I snapped the top (smallest) string on my bass, and pending new ones i removed the rest so i could clean it. Will keeping the strings off mess up the neck at all? I may be a little paranoid, but i don't want to mess up my instrument.
How long are you going to keep them off for? If you are gonna have them off for an extended period of time it might damage your neck.
I've got some dunlop lemon oil and polish, I always give the fretboard and the body a good clean whenever I change my strings.
About once a month or so depends on how dirty they get.

Just bought a p bass copy from a friend for £30 , ended up using furniture polish on the pick guard to remove all this nasty crap left behind by some stickers, worked really well
Last edited by Cyanide176 at Jun 21, 2008,
I clean it whenever I change strings.
Governor of the Jersey Rocks group
PM me to join
i use a fender polishing kit (3 step) every now and then, and a planet waves cloth day to day. and fastfret when fresh strings go on, or look dull but dont quite need changing. mainly on my reglar electrics though. other than that, i've never touched a fretboard at all
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by ccmetz2020
How long are you going to keep them off for? If you are gonna have them off for an extended period of time it might damage your neck.

I plan to get new strings within a day or so, is that extended? Should i put the three strings i still have back on for now?
@Valid not necessary dude if you gonna put them tomorrow or the day after

I clean my bass ONLY before the gig. Since I have gigs once in a month I suppose it's OK
I personally do a full clean on the Fretboard every time I take the Strings off, and more recently that has been often, as I made myself up one of those "Bass String Cleaning Tubes" - I suggest everyone look into one, if you like the blend of that 'used' String sound and the thick clarity of new ones

Also, I suggest that people invest in a proper Instrument cleaning cloth, namely those Mirco-Fibre ones - even just for wiping down after you play.

Another excellent, full-proof thing to look into is this "Ax Wax" - a multi-purpose Instrument cleaner that has no Wax (ironically), silicates in it. You can literally use it to clean everything on your Bass, as often as you like