Hey, I've been 'hired' to play Beethoven's 5th Symphony(the whole thing) for a gig since I have Classical training. However, my guitar has only 20 frets. but I need 24 for Beethoven's 5th.

is there any sort of harmonics that I can use to replicate the sound of those four notes?
~Gigantic Underøath fan~
Quote by Jammin'
you've been playing for 7 to 8 EIGHTS?

Also check out my band Smiles In Sickness
How good are your bends?

Seriously though.. the only thing that comes to mind is playing what notes you need on the 12th fret (Which is exactly one octave lower than anything on the 24th frets, in case you don't know-I'm sure you do) and use an octave pedal?
Artificial harmonics can extend the range, but it's hard to get a good sound without distortion.
Artificial's work fine, just fret the note one octave (12 frets down) from the required note and then touch the string above where the 2X fret would be.

EDIT: Or you can borrow/rent a 24 fret guitar for the performance. I'm sure you know somebody with a 24 fret instrument. Renting isn't too expensive either, just depends on how much you get paid for the performance. Needs to be enough to make it worthwhile.
Last edited by mattvl at Jun 20, 2008,
borrow a guitar?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by Phillitalian
borrow a guitar?

That was my other suggestion. Most of the guitarists I know have 24 frets (They're all hardcore metal guitarists, but still)
no, definatly use artificial harmonics.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
How good are your bends?

not that good.
~Gigantic Underøath fan~
Quote by Jammin'
you've been playing for 7 to 8 EIGHTS?

Also check out my band Smiles In Sickness
20 frets :S I thought you could only get 22 frets minimum.. anyway, artificial harmonics will be good if you can pull them off everytime, if not youre best bet would be to borrow a guitar or maye play an octave lower
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Quote by 666-JoE-666
20 frets :S I thought you could only get 22 frets minimum.. anyway, artificial harmonics will be good if you can pull them off everytime, if not youre best bet would be to borrow a guitar or maye play an octave lower

My acoustic has 18 frets
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster