okay.. i'm lookin to get a guitar with a good emg set.

i'm looking at a all of ESP's semi-cheap guitars.

i'm also looking at a zakk wylde guitar.

i'm aware that humbuckers can get rid of hum and provide a little bit warmer tone...

i'm also aware that emg's have better distortion capabilities.

right now i have a set of three single coils.

i just want something tonaly versitile, where i can go from rolling stones to metallica relativly easily.

i guess my overall question is...

what type of pickup do i need if i want extreme tonal capabilities?

what are it's pros and cons?
If you get EMGs, try an HA/SA in the neck, and an 85 in the bridge. The 85 will sound warmer then the 81 does, the HA will give you single-coil sounds in the neck.

It's likely you're not really a candidate for EMGs, passive pickups may be more suited for what you wish to play.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
ummmmm... are you completely set on EMGs? are you sure that they're what you want?

because there's a ton of Seymour Duncan pups out there that would fit what you're looking for. there are others on here that know more that I do, but I'd say look into them.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by CurlyBash
i'm also looking at a zakk wylde guitar.

I'm guessing you're looking at the cheaper ZW Epiphone, in which case it comes with HZs on it if I'm not mistaken which suck majorly.

Quote by CurlyBash
i'm also aware that emg's have better distortion capabilities.

Wrong, any higher output pickup can get you great distortion sounds, you don't need actives. Even lower output pickups can sound great with a lot of distortion.

Quote by CurlyBash
i just want something tonaly versitile, where i can go from rolling stones to metallica relativly easily.

If you want something that's very versatile you should NOT be looking at EMGs. They can be pretty versatile with an 81/60 or 81/89 combo, but there's better pickups out there for what you want.

Quote by CurlyBash
what type of pickup do i need if i want extreme tonal capabilities?

You'll probably want a passive pickup. Duncan JB, '59 and Custom Custom are great as well as the DiMarzio PAF Pro, Air Norton, Breed and Tone Zone.

Quote by CurlyBash
what are it's pros and cons?

Passives will have a much more organic sounds and (imo) better sounding cleans. EMGs will have a certain distinct tone to them, but most guitars with them in them seem to sound tonally, very similar, as well as cleans being sterile and bland.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com