Well, heres the dilemma.
I own a Fender Mexican fat strat, and at first i wanted to put in a Gibson 57 Classic Plus pickup in the bridge. But after talking to my local music shop buddy, he informed me that Gibson and Fender make their pick ups completely opposite each other so putting in a Gibson at the bridge while keeping the fender pickups stock is a terrible idea.

What pick up should i get thats sound is comparable to the Gibson?
I want a solid distortion for a power pop type sound, but not heavy like metal and such (I already have a Jackson Dinky with active EMG's).

-Sean
MY GEAR:
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Fender MIM Fat Stratocaster
Peavey ValveKing halfstack
Samick Acoustic
dont worry about it man. if you like that pickup go for it. it will work fine. i have a duncan and a gibson mixed in my lp and it is just fine. i dont see how fender is any different.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

fender and gibson wire their pickups opposite.
seymour duncan and dimarzio make their pickups opposite too.
MY GEAR:
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Samick Acoustic
will its sound be the one im looking for?
MY GEAR:
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Samick Acoustic
I think what he meant was that Fender mainly uses single coils and Gibson uses humbuckers. However you might wanna look into the whole opposite wiring thing. I don't really see what the problem will be though.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Looks like a new amp is in order, not new pickups.

i love my amp,
Peavey ValveKing halfstack.

my humbucker is bad anyways.
i need a new one.
MY GEAR:
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Samick Acoustic
Quote by evening_crow
I think what he meant was that Fender mainly uses single coils and Gibson uses humbuckers. However you might wanna look into the whole opposite wiring thing. I don't really see what the problem will be though.

i need a humbucker.
NOT GIBSON.
with a sound comparable to the 57 classic plus.
goodness.
lol.
MY GEAR:
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Samick Acoustic
Quote by evening_crow

Exactly, is it even possible to have opposite wiring on pickups? Dont they all have 2 wires, the signal and ground wires? (excluding actives and 4 wire coil splittable humbuckers)
Quote by littlephil
Exactly, is it even possible to have opposite wiring on pickups? Dont they all have 2 wires, the signal and ground wires? (excluding actives and 4 wire coil splittable humbuckers)

this is what i say. how can they be opposite. I do not see how it could possibly NOT work.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

well my buddy is a license luthier, and is very knowledgable of guitars, those were his exact words.
he just said that "it'll work, but the signal will be weak and tinny."

i trust him.

is there a sound comparable to Gibson's?
MY GEAR:
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Samick Acoustic
Quote by spootz
this is what i say. how can they be opposite. I do not see how it could possibly NOT work.

They can be. The wires are wrapped around the coils. In case you didn't know, a humbucker is pretty much two single coils with the wires wrapped in opposite directions (as in, one clockwise and counter clockwise) so that their signals cancel out certain frequencies for less unwanted noise.

EDIT: now that i think about it, opposite wired pu's used in conjunction might result in a thinner sound as they will cancel out more frequencies... that or they will be noisier if they're wired in the same direction by overlapping the same siginals/frequencies.

THAT might be the problem the guy at the shop might have tried to tell u about but i'm not sure what is the outcome of that. Then again, he might've just been trying to tell you that fender and gibson's pu's are opposite because gibson mainly uses humbuckers and fender single coils.

Last edited by evening_crow at Jun 21, 2008,
I doubt it.
I was talking to him about putting a nickel plated Gibson 57 Classic Plus pick up in the bridge, and he said that was a bad idea, and proceeded to explain the wiring dilemma.
MY GEAR:
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Samick Acoustic
Quote by evening_crow
They can be. The wires are wrapped around the coils. In case you didn't know, a humbucker is pretty much two single coils with the wires wrapped in opposite directions (as in, one clockwise and counter clockwise) so that their signals cancel out certain frequencies for less unwanted noise.

EDIT: now that i think about it, opposite wired pu's used in conjunction might result in a thinner sound as they will cancel out more frequencies... that or they will be noisier if they're wired in the same direction by overlapping the same siginals/frequencies.

THAT might be the problem the guy at the shop might have tried to tell u about but i'm not sure what is the outcome of that. Then again, he might've just been trying to tell you that fender and gibson's pu's are opposite because gibson mainly uses humbuckers and fender single coils.

But all humbuckers are wired the same way. Thats the point, the humbuckers in his guitar already will be wired the same as the Gibson ones. Theres one clockwise and one counterclockwise coil.

Unless it makes a difference which coil (bridge or neck side) is wound clockwise/counter. I dont know if it would, but maybe
okay okay okay.
I dont know for sure what he was talking about since im not really educated in this PU field.
regardless, i am looking for a sound that is similar to the Gibson 57 Classic Plus.
any ideas/suggestions?
MY GEAR:
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Samick Acoustic
Quote by littlephil
But all humbuckers are wired the same way. Thats the point, the humbuckers in his guitar already will be wired the same as the Gibson ones. Theres one clockwise and one counterclockwise coil.

Unless it makes a difference which coil (bridge or neck side) is wound clockwise/counter. I dont know if it would, but maybe

Ah, but u see... let's suppose a wiring done counter-clockwise is a "-1" and one done clockwise is a "1" ok?

On a guitar with two humbuckers you'll have a -1 and 1 for each pickup as humbuckers themselves have pretty much two single coils wrapped in opposite directions. Therefore, the bridge pickup will be -1 & 1 (0 since they cancel out), while the neck will be -1 & 1 (0). In the end you'll have 0 if you add them up.

A strat has 3 pickups that are single coils. My guess is that they're wrapped in alternating directions (bridge = 1, middle = -1, neck = 1). That way, when u use the bridge and middle pu u'll end up with 0. The same thing will happen if you use the neck and middle one. Also, that will explain why single coils are noisier since they will always have a "charge."

Now that i think about it however, you might only end up with a noisier sound in the end (humbucker = 0, middle = -1, neck = 1).

EDIT: by "noiser" sound i mean hum/feedback when you use the humbucker and middle pickup together. This noise shouldn't be any louder than a regular single coil though. The only way i see you having a really noisy guitar would be if the middle and neck were wound in the same direction and giving u a (-)2 "charge."

As for the pickup recommendation, go ahead and try the Gibson one u want. Like littlephil said, all humbuckers are wound the same (as in, 0 "charge") since they have two opposite sets of coils wound in opposite directions, cancelling each other out.

Last edited by evening_crow at Jun 21, 2008,
Quote by littlephil
He has a fat strat. Humbucker already in the bridge

I know, i just wanted to try and explain WHY the direction of the wounding is important.

Quote by acdcrocks0323
Looks like a new amp is in order, not new pickups.

his sig:

Yeah, he's fine.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by evening_crow
I know, i just wanted to try and explain WHY the direction of the wounding is important.

Yeah, i understand your explaination, good point. But i dont think it would make THAT big a difference. It would be the same as using the single coils by themselves, maybe a bit noisier. Anyway..
Quote by littlephil
Yeah, i understand your explaination, good point. But i dont think it would make THAT big a difference. It would be the same as using the single coils by themselves, maybe a bit noisier. Anyway..

It probably wouldn't make a difference. Plus, Fender MIMs' pickups aren't actually noisy... at least the ones on my tele aren't.

Once said that: TS should just go ahead and get the Gibson 57s he wants.

lets just say for all intensive purposes that i dont want a Gibson, but rather one the sounds just like it.
what would i get?

you guys are teh masters at avoiding the underlying questions =]]
lol
MY GEAR:
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Samick Acoustic
Quote by acdcgod3
lets just say for all intensive purposes that i dont want a Gibson, but rather one the sounds just like it.
what would i get?

you guys are teh masters at avoiding the underlying questions =]]
lol

GFS vintage 59s copy the PAF sound really well, but NOBODY has a good copy of the modern (post 1980's) gibson pickups.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
what about Seymour Duncan Alcino 2?
MY GEAR:
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Samick Acoustic
Quote by acdcgod3
what about Seymour Duncan Alcino 2?

Well, the only Pickups I use frequently and are actually in my guitars are gibsons, GFS, rockfield, and EMG-HZ.

I've heard SDs.
They were rather wood-dependent when I tried different guitars with the same model SDs on them, like gibsons are.
Worth as much as gibsons, probably not, they missed the vintage there, and they're not insanely cheap in price.
But they're good if that's what you want, in your budget.

Quote by cobain_is_king
well,
im trying to get an answer quick.
sorry.

anyways, i talked to the guy again, i totally misunderstood him. its not the wiring its the spacing in between the poles (like some of you have said).

either way, i have been looking for a cheaper version of the gibson.

which of the following would you suggest:
Duncan Custom
Alnico II Pro
'59 Model
Super 3
Tone Zone
Super Distortion

remember, im going for a power pop, alternative, "we the kings" type sound. i have a Peavey ValveKing to get the distortion i want. but i dont want my pickup to make the distortion to heavy. i already have a jackson with EMGs.
MY GEAR:
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Samick Acoustic
I'd say try a combo of GFS vintage 59 in the neck(guitarfetish.com) and rockfield Select wound custom in the bridge(musiciansfriend.com)

The gfs is effectively a copy of the gibson PAF humbuckers, whereas the SWC is a combo of vintage gibson and boutique handwound pickups.

You'll like it.

Quote by cobain_is_king
...i really want to stick with a main brand
MY GEAR:
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Samick Acoustic
Quote by acdcgod3
...i really want to stick with a main brand

Translation:

I want to pay up the nose for a brand name that means nothing to anyone who has tried other pickups.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by acdcgod3
well,
im trying to get an answer quick.
sorry.
well, it doesn't work that way. hurry or not, it's spamming.

i'll report this thread and include links to your others.
the Mods can decide which (if any) they want to keep open.

if you do this again, and be sure to check your e-mail for warnings.
after this, they'll be extremely likely.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by acdcgod3
which of the following would you suggest:
Duncan Custom
Alnico II Pro
'59 Model
Super 3
Tone Zone
Super Distortion

remember, im going for a power pop, alternative, "we the kings" type sound. i have a Peavey ValveKing to get the distortion i want. but i dont want my pickup to make the distortion to heavy. i already have a jackson with EMGs.

I want you to know that Gibson isn't the end-be-all of pickups. Tons of better options.

If you want vintage output, go for a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro. It's Alnico 2, so it'll be nice and fat. I say vintage, but that doesn't it can't get dirty. Slash uses these.

I still think the Seymour Duncan TB-11 is the way to go. i posted about it in your other thread. The Alnico II is good for fattening up a Strat's brigde position.
Angus young>slash
Gibson>seymour duncan

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by forsaknazrael
Don't post the EXACT same thread in multiple forums, sir. It's considered spam.
I posted a good answer to your dilemma in your GGA thread.

I likewise posted in the one in Basics section.

...twat

TS - read the answer I posted in there, I don't see why I should waste my time writing it again.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Iansmitchell
Angus young>slash
Gibson>seymour duncan

I'm getting tired of you. Go away.

No one is debating about who's the greater guitar hero. If you ask me, I like Angus better.
But just because he uses Gibson guitars doesn't make them the best.
Just like their guitars, their pickups are too expensive for what you're getting. You can get pickups that are JUST as good for a lower price, or BETTER for the same price as a Gibson pickup.