Page 1 of 2
hey guys, I picked up a Herbert a couple weeks ago, like some of you guys have already seen in the halfstack thread. Wanted to wait a bit before giving my initial impressions. I'm not very good at reviews. But I'll post some impressions.

I'll say off the bat, it's taking me some time to dial in a sound I really like. It sounded kind of farty and buzzy right out of the box, so I was pretty shocked so many people dig this amp.

I found a bad preamp tube though, lol, the V1 had some issues, maybe from the trip over here. It took a while to get here through customs and everything. The stock TAD EL34 were biased a little cold too, they were at 54, 55, and 57 for the 3 pairs. I bumped it up to the recommended range in the manual, and that helped quite a bit.

Now that I've had it a couple weeks, I'm liking it a lot. I go to play my other amps now, and I'm finding I'm much more picky, lol. I've found I can dial in sounds that are pretty close to what my other amps can do as far as metal tones. I'll also say, that if you don't really care for clips of this amp on Diezel's site, you probably won't like it in person. It's a very close representation of what the amp can do without a bunch of mastering. This can be a good or bad thing depending on your taste, some people like a more raw sound. I'm really liking what it can do in person though, it can also get a lot more aggressive than I imagined.

The clean channel is pretty insane for a high gainer. I wasn't expecting much, just a good clean, but it surprised me quite a bit. Has a lot of chime, yet still keeps a warm quality about it. Hard to compare it to any of the established clean amps out there. I've owned a few amps that had great cleans, and this hangs right with them.

The ch2 has a - and + setting. The - side will take you from blues to a classic rock crunch, the + side will take you all the way into modern metal. This is my favorite channel. This channel really sounds like it just came off a studio recorded album. I don't think there is much you would need to do with this channel to get a studio quality tone. It's just very impressive in person. The combination of the - and + settings, along with the mid cut section, really allow this channel to get about any tone you want from some bluesy grit to outright br00tal metal tones. It still has a very distinct Diezel voicing to it however.

speaking of the midcut section, this is a metal heads wet dream honestly. It has an intensity knob, and a level knob to compensate how far you go with the intensity. This is instant metal tone for either ch2 or ch3. You can easily go overboard with this section, but it just makes the amp very mean sounding if you use it correctly.

Forgot to mention too, this amp is fully midi controllable, so you can activate any of the settings with one button on a footswitch controller. A very nice feature.

Ch3 is all about lead tones. I haven't experimented much with this channel yet, it's just over the top gain, and has that sag and response that's great for lead playing. I've owned other 3ch amps, but never really had a crunch channel that I really liked enough to use for modern metal rhythm tones. I've always used the lead channels on every amp I've owned for the br00tal rhythms. This amp actually has 3 completely usable channels for my purposes though.

I had G12T75 x V30 in my cab at first, since so many people like the combo with the Herbert, but really didn't like the recorded tone I was getting with the 75's in it. A very crunchy high end sizzle that was a little over the top for me. Maybe my Mills cab didn't like them or something, since it was designed around V30. That or maybe the 75's just aren't my thing, never used them before. Threw in a pair of Ruby KT88 with the 4x EL34, and switched over my cab to all V30, and now I'm really diggin it.

There isn't much I can actually knock on this amp. Build is superb, and feature set is killer. The only knock on this amp is really the price, and that's more for US buyers than European I would imagine. Even considering the price however, it's a hell of an amp. I've owned a lot of high end amps, and this one ranks up near the top easily.

Here's a little clip and pic. Clip was all on ch2+

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/30-diezelch2.mp3

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jun 20, 2008,
Erock, Erock, Erock.......

I know I said you can't have enough sweet amps......

BUT COME ON!!!! Splawns and Mesas, sure. I can see that. But you had to go out and buy a Herbert.

Just kidding man. Nice amp. I'm extremely jealous.

My GAS list has one of these in it. But an original Bluesbreaker is my top priority
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Congrats on the amp!!
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
That's awesome man, I still can't get over the madness of how many nice amps you've owned. Do you still have the Krank's?
Quote by Kevin Saale
That's a pretty sick amp.

yeah, they build a pretty impressive amp. I was expecting a lot, and so far it's delivering.

Quote by stratman_13
Erock, Erock, Erock.......

I know I said you can't have enough sweet amps......

BUT COME ON!!!! Splawns and Mesas, sure. I can see that. But you had to go out and buy a Herbert.

Just kidding man. Nice amp. I'm extremely jealous.

My GAS list has one of these in it. But an original Bluesbreaker is my top priority

haha, I know, I'm such a gear *****. It's actually kind of embarrassing. I don't like even telling people what I have anymore, lol. I figured I tried out so many amps already, might as well go directly to the epitome of boutique metal tones.

I still gas over things like the bluesbreaker. I'm pretty gassed out for metal tones right now, the amps I have can get a lot of range. For other genres however, I still gas for certain amps. The Suhr Badger 30 is very high on my gas list right now. I owned the Badger 18W before, and the 30 seems to address every flaw I saw in that amp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Lucky man. Congrats on the great buy. MOAR CLIPZ THO.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by mogar
Congrats on the amp!!

thanks man.

Quote by bowen
That's awesome man, I still can't get over the madness of how many nice amps you've owned. Do you still have the Krank's?

haha, I know, it's an addiction. I still have the Stein+, still really like that thing too, lol. It's not a Diezel, but it holds its own man.

Quote by babyboo666
Wow that's great to hear. Looks like a superb amp.

thanks. What did you think of the clip? Raw tracks.

Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Lucky man. Congrats on the great buy. MOAR CLIPZ THO.

haha, I will certainly try. I need to spend more time playing/practicing, and less time gassing.
amp clips
amp vids
Holy **** dude. You have wayyyy to many awesome amps, send one my way!

Awesome clip btw

Congrats
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by Erock503
*insert rest of post here*
thanks man. What did you think of the clip? Raw tracks.:

Teh clipz were excellent, mate. You've certainly got your br00talz down

EDIT: I concur, BleedDeathMetal.....

MOAR CLIPZ!!!!!!

--

--
Quote by thefrigginbob
Holy **** dude. You have wayyyy to many awesome amps, send one my way!

Awesome clip btw

Congrats

haha, thanks man. I do know what you mean though, sometimes I feel really unworthy to have such nice amps,.

Quote by stratman_13
Teh clipz were excellent, mate. You've certainly got your br00talz down

EDIT: I concur, BleedDeathMetal.....

MOAR CLIPZ!!!!!!

haha, thanks man, appreciate that.
amp clips
amp vids
hahaha, all you need to do is get back on the Engl train again and get the Invader and explain to me how the **** to figure out it's midi with all the fancy ideas that work with it.
Hell man, judging by the sounds of your playing in those clips on UG and others you've posted, you deserve them.

Seriously though, how do you afford this? Either you have an extremely well playing job, or you know your way around a few security systems
--

--
Quote by bowen
hahaha, all you need to do is get back on the Engl train again and get the Invader and explain to me how the **** to figure out it's midi with all the fancy ideas that work with it.

lol, I've actually considered the Invader and SE. I've had gas for the Savage lately though, just seems like the perfect balance of hi fi and rawness to the sound. I will have one at some point. I don't know if I can help with midi, the Herbert and the Framus I had are a piece of cake of setup. Set the amp how you like it, and with the settings you want, hit program/store on the amp so it's waiting for a midi command, and then hit the button you want to use on the midi footcontroller. Everytime it sees the command sent from that fc button again, it recalls the settings you created. Very simple, and I dig simple.

Quote by stratman_13
Hell man, judging by the sounds of your playing in those clips on UG and others you've posted, you deserve them.

Seriously though, how do you afford this? Either you have an extremely well playing job, or you know your way around a few security systems

haha, thanks man, appreciate that. I still have a long way to go in playing though.

I work for a medical school doing online assessment stuff, not a huge salary, but I do ok. My wife has a pretty decent job. She's in her last year of residency for ENT plastics. I also sold alot of my guitars off so I could get some amps. I've had some pretty highend guitars. I kept only the ones that I liked to play all the time, and sold the rest off. The money went back into amps.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503

thanks. What did you think of the clip? Raw tracks.

I'm at work right now, but the first thing I'm gonna do when I get home is listen to that beast
HSFSFJSL

I had my speaker volume way up when I played your track. It's freak'n great. Congrats on getting the Diezel, too.

And since we're not on HC, go ahead and tell us how much you payed for it.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
HSFSFJSL

I had my speaker volume way up when I played your track. It's freak'n great. Congrats on getting the Diezel, too.

And since we're not on HC, go ahead and tell us how much you payed for it.

haha, thanks man. Lets just say, I got a really good deal on it from being a previous customer. I basically paid the upper range of what a mint one would go for used, only mine is new with a lifetime warranty, and a 1 yr transferable warranty for someone that bought it from me.
amp clips
amp vids
I hate you

I was in love with the Splawns and then you go and get Diezel. Crazy. Seriously nice amp though, I prefer the VH4. I'm proper gassing for one of them.

That clip is awesome.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Goddammit that clip was great. And I like reading this sort of threads too, thanks Also, congrats on the great amp (...damn you have good amps :P).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
WHERE THE HELL DO YOU GET THE MONEY FOR ALL THIS STUFF?
lol

loved the clip too!
Top lel.
oh wow, excellent! i haven't tried the herbert, but i really liked the vh4 i tried (but the cleans weren't amazing). Diezels are still really expensive over here, like £2000+ for the heads (bar the einstein, i think).

Do you have a link to the website where the clip is? that direct link crashed my computer...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
since you have all of them and im getting one of them, which one do you like better : Krank or the mesa?
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
Eric you have issues man...

Congrats though, a Diezel is always a nice addition
Now you need the typical blackmachine custom + Diezel setup.
Quote by jambi_mantra
I hate you

I was in love with the Splawns and then you go and get Diezel. Crazy. Seriously nice amp though, I prefer the VH4. I'm proper gassing for one of them.

That clip is awesome.

haha, thanks man. Yeah, VH4 is a beast, a lot of guys prefer it over the Herbert. The Herbert seemed just a little more suited to the tones I wanted however. Would love a VH4 too though, hehe

Quote by Fama
Goddammit that clip was great. And I like reading this sort of threads too, thanks Also, congrats on the great amp (...damn you have good amps :P).

thanks man, glad you liked it. Yeah, I've been pretty lucky to get some great amps.

Quote by the memory
WHERE THE HELL DO YOU GET THE MONEY FOR ALL THIS STUFF?
lol

loved the clip too!

thanks. Well, at this point, I officially have more amps than guitars, lol. Also made out pretty good on a bunch of trades. Wheelin and dealin man.

Quote by Dave_Mc
oh wow, excellent! i haven't tried the herbert, but i really liked the vh4 i tried (but the cleans weren't amazing). Diezels are still really expensive over here, like £2000+ for the heads (bar the einstein, i think).

Do you have a link to the website where the clip is? that direct link crashed my computer...

Hiya Dave, yeah, the Herbert is actually supposed to have better cleans than the VH4, which is pretty surprising. That's still pretty pricey, but considering what Mesa cost over there, seems like a bargain, lol. Here is a link to the clip that isn't direct.
http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=1665

Quote by guitarbite.fire
since you have all of them and im getting one of them, which one do you like better : Krank or the mesa?

hmm, well, for an all out metal tone, I still prefer the Stein+. I think the TRec is more versatile, and I LOVE how it tracks with other amps. Hard choice really, mostly just preference in what you are looking for. I will say, this 2ch TRec is the best sounding Rectifier I've owned. I had a 3ch dual and recto pre before, and neither sounded as good to me.

Quote by IbanezPsycho

no way man, it's probably all alcohol fermented, I just gave one of those up!

Quote by hmmm_de_hum
Eric you have issues man...

Congrats though, a Diezel is always a nice addition
Now you need the typical blackmachine custom + Diezel setup.

haha, thanks man. Funny how it seems that setup is pretty common with the Diezel guys, lol. I'm pretty settled on amps for a while, guitar gas is just what I need now.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503

Hiya Dave, yeah, the Herbert is actually supposed to have better cleans than the VH4, which is pretty surprising. That's still pretty pricey, but considering what Mesa cost over there, seems like a bargain, lol. Here is a link to the clip that isn't direct.
http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=1665

thanks for the link, sounds kickass. did it need a boost to get that heavy?

you're probably right about the prices- a dual recto here goes for somewhere between £1700 and £2000, i think, while the diezels are a little more (but not enough more to put you off if you prefer it, considering how much the recto is).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
thanks for the link, sounds kickass. did it need a boost to get that heavy?

you're probably right about the prices- a dual recto here goes for somewhere between £1700 and £2000, i think, while the diezels are a little more (but not enough more to put you off if you prefer it, considering how much the recto is).

np brudda

no, I'm just a boost junky, lol, I just love the extra feel they add. It was set with 0 OD, level at 12:00, and tone at 12:00, so it wasn't really doing much. Without the boost, there is a little more lowend actually, little less top end sizzle. The amp EQ can compensate pretty easily if you don't want to use it. The gain on the amp was set at about 12:00 on ch2+ for that clip.

Quote by babyboo666
that clip sounds fuggin brutal

haha, thanks man.
amp clips
amp vids
We've totally different ideas on tone, but congratulations on the new amp. People like you don't make me feel so bad about being in the process of buying my second Cornford...

So exactly what amps do you have currently?
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page
We've totally different ideas on tone, but congratulations on the new amp. People like you don't make me feel so bad about being in the process of buying my second Cornford...

So exactly what amps do you have currently?

thanks man. What does that mean that we've totally different ideas on tone? Meaning you didn't like that specific metal tone, or that you don't really like metal tones in general? I can appreciate tones from other genres, I think the Cornfords are killer sounding amps. The Elmwoods are pretty special too. The friend of mine that I bought my Mills Acoustics cab from actually has one of the first Cornford MkII 50's that came into the states, sick amp.

if you want to feel better about your gear aquisitions, just head over to HC or the TGP and check out some of the rigs there, lol. You will feel conservative quick. I have this Diezel, a Splawn Nitro, a Krankenstein+, and a Mesa Triple Rec at the moment. I'm going to sell one or 2, just have to decide which ones I like the least, lol.
amp clips
amp vids
Niice
Very nice, I only wish I could try one :/

I have to say however, that I definitely prefer the ballsy Marshall on steroids Nitro, but with these sorts of amp, you're not going to be disappointed whatever you have haha.

Moar clips Maybe put the volume of the drums down a little too - It was hard to distinguish the guitar in that clip. (Maybe I'm just used to the tonnes of mids of the Nitro )
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
Niice
Very nice, I only wish I could try one :/

I have to say however, that I definitely prefer the ballsy Marshall on steroids Nitro, but with these sorts of amp, you're not going to be disappointed whatever you have haha.

Moar clips Maybe put the volume of the drums down a little too - It was hard to distinguish the guitar in that clip. (Maybe I'm just used to the tonnes of mids of the Nitro )

haha, really? There is only guitar and drums in that clip, almost sounds like there is a bass, lol. I'll turn them down for the next one. I think you're right though, I'm going to dial in more mids. I already hate that clip now, the leads make me cringe, the bends at the end are horrible, lol.

The Nitro definitely has it's own sound, very raw and open. You should hear how it sounds in stereo with the diezel man. Pure win.
amp clips
amp vids
Another killer sounding clip, playing was the best I've heard from you yet aswell.

Have you tried blending the Herbert with the other amps yet?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Metal's not really my thing, but I really liked that tone
Your playing's immense btw!
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by timi_hendrix
Another killer sounding clip, playing was the best I've heard from you yet aswell.

Have you tried blending the Herbert with the other amps yet?

thanks tim, appreciate that. Yeah, I've been trying out different amps with it. The combos that I've found that seem to compliment the best, are the Nitro and Stein+, and the TRec and Diezel. Those combinations just fill out a crazy spectrum of sound. The Nitro and Diezel sounds pretty good too, but I need to play around with it more. The Stein+ and Diezel sound almost too similar believe it or not, the Diezel kind of takes over all the sound unfortunately. I was hoping they were going to mix the best.

Quote by cmakkidguitar
Metal's not really my thing, but I really liked that tone
Your playing's immense btw!

thanks man
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
np brudda

no, I'm just a boost junky, lol, I just love the extra feel they add. It was set with 0 OD, level at 12:00, and tone at 12:00, so it wasn't really doing much. Without the boost, there is a little more lowend actually, little less top end sizzle. The amp EQ can compensate pretty easily if you don't want to use it. The gain on the amp was set at about 12:00 on ch2+ for that clip.

thanks! I've never really bothered with an OD as a tightener/boost to be honest. I might get one eventually for my valve junior, and when i have it i guess i'll try it with the engl too... the engl's pretty tight etc. as it is, though obviously that doesn't mean that the right boost couldn't improve it...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh and i bet doubling them doesn't sound as good as my valve junior/engl mix.

of course, what you should really do is quadruple them. Into all 4 at once would be awesome. Well, either that or retarded, and you won't know till you try...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh and i bet doubling them doesn't sound as good as my valve junior/engl mix.

of course, what you should really do is quadruple them. Into all 4 at once would be awesome. Well, either that or retarded, and you won't know till you try...

Set them up in a big circle around an unsuspecting drummer and frighten the bejesus out of him.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2