Page 1 of 2
Hey everyone, i was j/w how long a day everyone practices...

I personally play maybe 45 min a day, but not at once, i become bored really easy and cant focus on anything, its a shame also because i really want to get good.
Quote by Scumbag1792
At what...? Jerkin' it? You'll get there man

Playing guitar? Aint this a guitar fourm?
Anywhere from 20 minutes on days I have to work to 4 hours in total on my days off. But having said that, some days I don't get any playing in, and some I've sat down in such boredom and drive and I've practiced for 8 hours in total, and I did 13 once, but that was a long ass day. Parents weren't home and I HAD to learn Only Ash Remains.
Guitar: 3 hours at least
Vocals: Constantly
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
i don't know, i just realize that i've played too long when my bedroom gets darker because of night...(i start playing after eating...) but it depends there are some days that i dont play because im with my girlfriend or with friends or something...
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by Scumbag1792
At what...? Jerkin' it? You'll get there man

wow dude, grow up.

i used to practice about an hour a day when i first started playing, it's good as a minimum guideline. i stopped playing for a few years and just recently picked it back up. honestly, i can't put my guitar down, i even bring it with me to work sometimes to play during my lunch break. i'd say i play probably around 6 hours a day or more, depending on whether i'm trying to learn a new lick or i'm trying to record something.

i went to guitar center the other day with a friend of mine who's just learning, we grabbed a jackson soloist and an ibanez jem, plugged into a triple rectifier and a jvm, and jammed for a good 4 hours nonstop. honestly, nothing is more inspirational than just playing in a sound deadened room with a buddy, not even noticing that people are standing around outside watching you haha
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
I probably practice 2 hours a day, and alot of it is unproductive, and I always drift away to the pit, so... yeah... I blame UG
Around 2-3 hours a day now that i'm free for summer around 1-2 hours during school year
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
G-400 alpine white (signed by Coheed & Cambria)
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Until my fingers get all silvery and sore, lol.
Gee-arr:

ESP LTD Viper 400
Line 6 Spider 75W
Digitech RP350
Around 6-8 hours a day. Im determined.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I just play until I get bored, from 20 mins to 6 hours, depends on what I'm feeling. One time I spent like 3 hours playing Seasons in the Abyss and random other crap that I came up with jamming to it. that was fun, isn't that the deal? to have fun? I mean you have to learn stuff like scales and chords and stuff, but I find that it's funner to just spend like a couple hours memorizing them, then play with them for months while it's fun, then you'll become comfortable with them.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Quote by strat212

+1

Rarely is a WKUK fan found.
Gee-arr:

ESP LTD Viper 400
Line 6 Spider 75W
Digitech RP350
umm 10- 15 hours a day off and on, guitars next to me.. even take it to the bathroom when I **** (good reverb).. i need to get good, and love guitar. plus this girl I like likes hard ****in songs to play
Quote by strat212
I just play until I get bored, from 20 mins to 6 hours, depends on what I'm feeling. One time I spent like 3 hours playing Seasons in the Abyss and random other crap that I came up with jamming to it. that was fun, isn't that the deal? to have fun? I mean you have to learn stuff like scales and chords and stuff, but I find that it's funner to just spend like a couple hours memorizing them, then play with them for months while it's fun, then you'll become comfortable with them.

You should probably practice your grammar instead of guitar
I just started practicing for 3 hours a day, though, for safety reasons, I always take a break and eat and/or watch tv or learn theory after 20-50 mins.
Some days you feel like playing more than others. For me, now that school is out, probably 1.5-3 hours a day. Sometimes I get inspired from watching people playing on the internet and get into it longer. On some days when I'm playing like ****, I hardly ever practice.
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
I have my guitar on my lap while I'm on my computer, that can be 12+ hours now that its summer and I'm up all night.

I probably put in a good 3-4 hours of straight up playing per day. Its been a while since I actively sought out new tabs to learn, which is what I used to do. Now I just jam. I've made a few backing tracks for myself, and I'll improv for a good half hour straight, trying to do stuff in the style of different artists I like. I'm also involved in band practice stuff constantly, writing songs, finalizing songs, stuff like that.

I think what level your at, what music your into and all that comes into it a lot. I'm into blues, all about the feel, you can't learn that from tabs, so I have to invest a lot of time and really thoroughly understand the neck. Granted, you could learn guitar first and specialize in genre later, but.. I want my blues NOW!

Earlier on when I was into other music, it would take me just an hour or two of seeking out and learning new music. I would have a list of songs I wanted to play, and eventually I'd find one my level, then I would constantly revisit that list and take on the more challenging songs. That was an extremely efficient way to learn, but I don't know how long you can go without hitting a wall where theres no songs on your list that challenge you, but are still within your range.

Come to think of it, I really don't do actual exercises enough. Although I do play the sweet child o mine intro (string skippin!) when I wanna feel like I'm actually practicing. and I wear out my hands doing scales and stuff like that, so I guess I'm fine.
For as long as I feel like or until I run out of free time. Usually the latter.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
i walk around the my house with the guitar on me practising
the only time i put it down is when i eat, go to school or go out somewhere (which is barely once a month).
the key thing is to practise
Quote by Copilot911
You should probably practice your grammar instead of guitar

um....have you been looking at UG long? I've seen post that I can't even understand. That's just.....crazy.
You know what else is crazy? gun control. The entire thing, for it against it, it's just craziness.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Probably 1-3 hours, depends. I don't really like learning scales though, i've learned a couple of minor scales and pentatonic but i'd rather learn songs than scales
How long do I practice?.........Not enough !!!

By the time I get home from work and do stuff about the house and cook a meal it is usualy quite late.

I do get to play for about an hour, but often I have to keep the noise down due to the time.

Weekends are cool as I get to dime that volume....Right now my tubes are glowing white hot as i crank out some Maiden. rock on....
eh... less that I want to. My mom works from home doing interviews, so I can't even play at low volumes for most of the day. For some reason it is just hard to get into it when playing acoustically.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
It depends on the day.One day i might practise like 4 hours and on the other day it may be 15 minutes.
I don't practice so much as just play things and write songs. I really can't get into the mentality of practicing 'six' hours a day (really? that much?) but so far, compared to the people who started playing around the same time as me, I'm on par if not better than some.
i try to keep a discipline of playing at least one hour a day.
i try.
but if i don't play for a long time, or if i don't play when i'm "supposed" to, i get joint pain on my fretting hand's ring finger.
i wonder if it's mental.
can someone prescribe me a placebo?
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
It really depends some days i wont touch my guitar but then some days i never let go of it!
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Wasburn x-series - not a bad starter guitar, recomended!
Aston 15w - I need a better amp
Digitech rp250
i do some scales and finger exercises for 1 hour. then i play some songs for about 1-2 hours. after that, i rest for a while then jam again.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
I used to have a strict pracice schedule, but I got sick of. I'm not disciplined enough. Now, I just play until I get bored. Sometimes it involves learning new songs or practising techniques, sometimes it's just jamming. Right now I have too much school work and revision to do for exams, so not much time to play anyway.

However, summer holidays, I'll be playing a lot. And I hope my neighbours go on holiday so I can crank my new DSL401 without them hearing it!
I play for about 3-4 hours every day, not in one sitting though. Between school (bachelor), gaming (Heavy MMO addiction) and my friends that's about all the time I have other than the 5-6 hours of sleep I barely give myself...
63 hours a day.

Really just an hour and a half or so of Practice but up to 6 of playing in general.
Sig What?
Do you time warp by playing 20,000,000,000 NPS?

[To darth awsome]
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
well i play alot.
i come back from school and play for hours,
i play while watching tv and on comp.
sometimes i put the guitar back on its stand, stop playing and then i pick it back up 2 minutes later
some days it's nil, others it can be the whole day. depends on the mood and whats going on atm
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Page 1 of 2