I've been looking at getting a job at gamestop for a while now and I just have some questions for anyone who works there.....

Can a 16 year old be hired there easily, or are older people preferred?

What are the wages usually like?

Do you ever get special privelages like getting games early?

Is it a good job compared to my current job at taco time? I heard its prety casual
You Are Now Aware Of Your Own Breathing
I think you HAVE to be at least 18.
P.L.U.R.

We'll choke on our vomit and that will be the end

We were fated to pretend
You gotta be 17, to sell M games. Plus its impossible to get a job there because a ton of people apply.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
yes i was hired there when i was 16, im 17 now, its the minimum age.
i started on 7.25 and hour and ive only been working there for about 7 months total, but we had our reviews a few months ago so i wouldve been working there for like 5 months and i got a 5 cent(lol) raise.

you dont get to get games early, but if you have a new game, and you have more than 4 copies of it in stock an employee may "check it out"=rent the game for 3 days. the three days starts the day you get it and it has to be back ON the third day ie: two days after.

if all gamestops are alike you seriously have to do the most MINIMUM amount of work. its crazy you basically go chill, talk about games, and fix the cases every once in a while.

store hours vary but if your starting now youll probably get(this is what i get) 3.5 hours one week and 7.5 hours the next. a girl i work with who has the same status as me and i trade hours every week, like when i have 3.5 hours she gets 7.5 hours. idk how your store will be but yea. its usually slow this time of year up until the holidays and around august-september it starts picking up. i started as a seasonal last year and got 12.5 hours every week.

go for it trust me its a good job. youll get more hours during holidays trust me. its busy as hell. business now is nothing compare to holidays. i remember we had a huge line during december. now its basically impossible to have one. youll probabyl get more than 12.5 hours around the holidays because youll have worked longer.

EDIT: also i forgot you get 10% discount on everything except new consoles. that + edge card = 25% off everything. and when theres a promotion going on ive gotten llike half off sometimes.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Jun 21, 2008,
Why would you want to? The employees get crappy discounts and if you want games early just reserve them. My guitar teacher worked at game stop, which is actually how I met him, and he and his friends who are also kind of my friends say that it's like working in a really busy library.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Yeah, you're not going to get hired there at 16. They usually hire 18+, but you need to be at least 17. Plus, from what I've heard, it sucks to work there.
Quote by conquistador
I've been looking at getting a job at gamestop for a while now and I just have some questions for anyone who works there.....

Can a 16 year old be hired there easily, or are older people preferred?

What are the wages usually like?

Do you ever get special privelages like getting games early?

Is it a good job compared to my current job at taco time? I heard its prety casual

1 i'm pretty sure you wont get the job at 16 unless they are desperate

2 I started at $8 an hour and got no hours to work so i quit but that was just the one i worked at

3 You can rent games for 4 days and if you return them in mint condition its free if not you buy the game

4 if you get the job its fun if you love video games and that stuff but you need to know your product and the register can be a pain at times with reserves, edge cards, and trades in and the likes.

over all its a pretty solid job for a teenager (better than a fast food joint), doesn't beat the movie theater i'm at now though
Yertle the Turtle was king of the pond.
A nice little pond. It was clean. It was neat.
The water was warm. There was plenty to eat.
The turtles had everything turtles might need.
And they were all happy. Quite happy indeed.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Why would you want to? The employees get crappy discounts and if you want games early just reserve them. My guitar teacher worked at game stop, which is actually how I met him, and he and his friends who are also kind of my friends say that it's like working in a really busy library.

is not busy at all lol. its busy in the holidays but not too busy. you just get bothered with being asked "do you have a wii?" 20 times a day.... and the rock band songs on the advertisement tv but its all good. its seriously like the most chill job.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Just be prepared for people who want Battletoads.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

Quote by les.is.more
1 i'm pretty sure you wont get the job at 16 unless they are desperate

2 I started at $8 an hour and got no hours to work so i quit but that was just the one i worked at

3 You can rent games for 4 days and if you return them in mint condition its free if not you buy the game

4 if you get the job its fun if you love video games and that stuff but you need to know your product and the register can be a pain at times with reserves, edge cards, and trades in and the likes.

over all its a pretty solid job for a teenager (better than a fast food joint), doesn't beat the movie theater i'm at now though

actually id say the register is the most fun part. doing busywork sucks. its not a pain once youve been working there for a month you learn the computer system and its a peice of cake.

^^^lol the battletoads prank. you can get arrested or fined or something for that now. they trace calls all the time now. lol weve actually called some people back to tell them that there copy of battletoads came in.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150
is not busy at all lol. its busy in the holidays but not too busy. you just get bothered with being asked "do you have a wii?" 20 times a day.... and the rock band songs on the advertisement tv but its all good. its seriously like the most chill job.

Location makes a difference. My gamestop is in a wealthy area with no other game stores within a 20 minute drive from the shop.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Last edited by BleedDeathMetal at Jun 21, 2008,
Ok well on their website it says they hire at 16 but I don't know if they would rellay hire someone at 16 if you know what I mean....

There is a regal cinemas in the area aswell, and one of you guys said you like your job at the theater...how is it there?
Quote by conquistador
Ok well on their website it says they hire at 16 but I don't know if they would rellay hire someone at 16 if you know what I mean....

There is a regal cinemas in the area aswell, and one of you guys said you like your job at the theater...how is it there?

have you read any of my posts? im theonly actual gamestop employee on here lol i said i got hired when i was 16. just today i even heard my manager say you have to be 16 to get hired.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Taco Time?

Yeah, it's definitely better.

I think its mainly a northwest corporation, but yea I work there as a frycook and it well....sucks to be honest

But in the area were I want to work there is a safeway,target,walmart,gamestop,regal cinemas, fred meyer, cold stone ice cream, albertsons, hollywood video, and a jamba juice..

Out of all those I like

1. Gamestop
2.regal cinemas
3.coldstone
4. Hollywood video

So if anyone has worked or is working for these companies any help would be appreciated

The area is bonney lake washington if any of you have heard about it so if you know of any other good places to work there that would be sweet

There's also a blockbuster there too I'd rather work there than hollywood video
Quote by conquistador
I think its mainly a northwest corporation, but yea I work there as a frycook and it well....sucks to be honest

But in the area were I want to work there is a safeway,target,walmart,gamestop,regal cinemas, fred meyer, cold stone ice cream, albertsons, hollywood video, and a jamba juice..

Out of all those I like

1. Gamestop
2.regal cinemas
3.coldstone
4. Hollywood video

So if anyone has worked or is working for these companies any help would be appreciated

The area is bonney lake washington if any of you have heard about it so if you know of any other good places to work there that would be sweet

There's also a blockbuster there too I'd rather work there than hollywood video

ive heard that coldstone is really really awesome
Yea I bet cold stone is awesome, except for having to ****ing sing for tips haha

Anyone ever work there wanna tell me how it is at coldstone?