Page 1 of 2
Whats a good tune for a metal sound? I have a Squirer Start that I wanna make a Metal sound with it.
Any tuning will wound metal wit the right amp and some distortion.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
drop b
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
Drop D/ D standard
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Leave it in standard and start using minor and minor harmonic.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
The tuning is just icing on the cake. Your pickups, amp, and the things you play matter a lot more.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Yeah, a metal sound isn't acquired through tunings.

Some of the best metal bands in the history of...metal have been in standard tuning...metallica, black sabbath, megadeth, etc.

Metal = heavy distortion.
Gee-arr:

ESP LTD Viper 400
Line 6 Spider 75W
Digitech RP350
I like D standard, which is just one step down from standard - Gives you a better sound spectrum imo and helps with bending and what not.

But like others have stated, it's more in tone and your equipment.
You aren't going to be able to make that squier sound like metal by tuning. You need a good amp and distortion. And a better guitar.

Usually the tuning is drop d or drop c.
Quote by virusoflife26
Yeah, a metal sound isn't acquired through tunings.

Some of the best metal bands in the history of...metal have been in standard tuning...metallica, black sabbath, megadeth, etc.

Well, Sabbath used Eb, D, and C# standard along with E standard. "Mob Rules" is in standard, "Paranoid" is in Eb, while "Into the Void" is in C#(at least, that's what it sounds like to me). Man, I love "Into the Void."
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
+1

Good catch, man.

But to be fair, metallica started using dropped tunings later on in their career...i meant for the majority of aforementioned bands careers' they used standard.

But good catch, nonetheless.
Gee-arr:

ESP LTD Viper 400
Line 6 Spider 75W
Digitech RP350
Quote by virusoflife26
+1

Good catch, man.

But to be fair, metallica started using dropped tunings later on in their career...i meant for the majority of aforementioned bands careers' they used standard.

But good catch, nonetheless.

This was just so that James could sing in key easier after he damaged his voice.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by Free to Guitar
Well, Sabbath used Eb, D, and C# standard along with E standard. "Mob Rules" is in standard, "Paranoid" is in Eb, while "Into the Void" is in C#(at least, that's what it sounds like to me). Man, I love "Into the Void."

"Death Mask/Into the Void" is my favorite Sabbath song to play. It is in C# standard, as is all (or most) of the Masters of Reality album.

I love the / Sabbath songs.
most metal bands these days play in drop d and some in drop c or b. But you really just need a good amp to make it sound metal.
drop G awesome

but yeah get some buckers in that strat and a 5150 and youll be metal all the way
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
the "Six String Bass" tuning.

EADGBe

but an octave down.

It's the only way to play metal.

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
I think the best tunings for metal would be E, Eb, D, C#, C, B, A# or A. maybe G or F# if you're avantgarde
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Any tuning.

Please don't be a twat and think "Oh lawd, onlee Drop C and lower is metul!" Play in whatever tuning feels right for you. If you like E play in it, so on and so forth.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
personally i like Drop-C and D-standard.
but the biggest metal bands have palyed standard as well.
It depends on your tone.
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
There is no "Metal tuning", it's how you play in whatever tuning.

I prefer D Standard or Standard.....D Standard give a darker sound than Standard but isn't too low for me......The lowest I think I'll ever go is B Standard/Drop A.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by DCarney9116
Drop c#, palm muting, tremb picking and pinch harmonics, play on the bridge pickup!

*sigh*

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Tunings aren't heavy, the riffs played are heavy.

People don't seem to realize this anymore.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Tunings aren't heavy, the riffs played are heavy.

People don't seem to realize this anymore.

True dat.

Low tuning =/= heavy. If this were true, everyone could go round saying bass guitars are 'heavier' than electric guitars because they're tuned lower.
Quote by Tom_hatton
True dat.

Low tuning =/= heavy. If this were true, everyone could go round saying bass guitars are 'heavier' than electric guitars because they're tuned lower.

I hate this new trend that if you want to be 'heavy' you have to play in Drop C or lower.

Makes us metalheads look like idiots.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Tom_hatton
Drop H.

Please. Q# standard is where it's at.

On-topic, if you're on a budget and don't need to gig, you could just get a decent OD/dist. pedal and something with humbuckers. You'll be hard-pressed to get a "metal tone" as you are.
What sort of metal are you shooting for?

Bands like Iron Maiden would use Stratocasters in unison in Standard to get that fast and rather melodic style to their playing.

As well as the aforementioned bands, it's not so much the tuning that makes the music heavy, rather the attitude and the riff being played.
i use Drop D Standard its really up to u wat tuning you want just try some of the alternate tunings and see wat 1 u like
Concerts I've Been To:
Aerosmith x2
A Life Once Lost
Motley Crue
Pearl Jam
My Morning Jacket
Buckcherry
Velvet Revolver x3
Godsmack
Alice In Chains
Stone Temple Pilots
Iron Maiden
Red hot Chili Peppers
Lamb of God
Killswitch Engage
Quote by Tom_hatton
Low tuning =/= heavy.

True.

Paramore is in Drop C#.

Quo Vadis in standard.

Who sounds heavier?
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
I play metal in standard.
Makes most brutalz sound more trebly, and I like the highs.
Example: Dethklok's Go Into The Water is just as brutal in E as it is in C.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
It's easier to get a Metal sound from drop tunings such as Drop D/C#/C, etc because of the use of barre chords, but you can still obtain a Metal sound from Standard tuning as well, you just have to know which chords sound ~Metal~. Since you are using a Strat, I would stay in Standard or Drop D (unless you apply thicker strings) in obtaining a Metal tone, a Metal amp would help out a lot though.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Page 1 of 2