Been playing for about a year and a half but never bothered with setting the action until now.

Question: I know it has something to do with the hole at the top of the neck, but what do you use, and which direction do you turn to make action lower??

i have a standard strat
your an idiot.. you don't turn that "thing" in the top to lower or raise the action..

1. do you know what the action is? it's the string height from the neck
2. that "thing" aka a truss rod, keeps the neck straight

you use the little tiny screws on the stop bridge to adjust the action.. you raise them if they buzz, lower them if they don't.. then the neck might become curved, so you turn the truss rod to make it straight
The hole at the top of the neck is the truss rod.
You only want to use that to adjust your action if your neck is extremely warped.
A standard strat has two tiny little holes in each string saddle. Those are adjusted by a very small Allen key.
You can't adjust your action as a whole, but separate saddles, so make sure they're all even.
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
That my friend is the truss rod. dont touch it. You adjust the action on your bridge, use an allen wrench I think for start bridge. You ahve to adjust each individual saddle
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
My bad, my friend told me about the truss rod thing and told me that's how you change the action, good thing i didn't experiment with anything. Wow i feel like a moron now
Yeah just whatever you do, do not touch the truss rod unless you know what your doing... which you obviously dont (No offence there), but yeah, adjust each saddle to a good height, but make sure its not too low that it buzzes or to high that its hard to fret
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
your an idiot.. you don't turn that "thing" in the top to lower or raise the action..

1. do you know what the action is? it's the string height from the neck
2. that "thing" aka a truss rod, keeps the neck straight

you use the little tiny screws on the stop bridge to adjust the action.. you raise them if they buzz, lower them if they don't.. then the neck might become curved, so you turn the truss rod to make it straight

And you're an idiot for saying that to the threadstarter. Until you are sure of your facts, don't go telling someone they are an idiot because you obviously have a lot to learn about guitars too.
Adjusting action won't change the bow of the neck. Changing string gauge will, since you are then changing the tension placed on the neck by the strings. And this is the sole purpose of the truss rod, to counteract the pull of the strings so that the neck is able to maintain it's correct geometry. Otherwise, the truss rod is there to make minimal tweaks to the neck during changes in the weather conditions, such as high/low humidity level changes from winter to summer.