I would really like to learn, is there a free tutorial site or an easy method of practicing the guitar? I have no knowledge of the basics. Please help.

Also: I have an acoustic guitar, an Ashton.
If you're on here, you're on the right track.
If you want to teach yourself, like so many others do, go to youtube, and watch some guitar players. Watch everything they do, and slowly do the same thing yourself.
Teach yourself simple songs, play them slow, and speed them up.
Keep practicing!
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
Quote by konkordmusk
If you're on here, you're on the right track.
If you want to teach yourself, like so many others do, go to youtube, and watch some guitar players. Watch everything they do, and slowly do the same thing yourself.
Teach yourself simple songs, play them slow, and speed them up.
Keep practicing!

Whatever you do, don't do that.

A fellow by the name of Justin Sandercoe has created some instructional videos that includes a series of videos specifically designed for beginners. It teaches all the basic fundamentals that every guitarist must know.

www.justinguitar.com

Justin seems like a nice guy. The material is excellent, and it's free. But there are several other free websites that teach the fundamentals.
Get a teacher - not an internet one, a RL one. It'll be so much easier since he/she will will help you 1 to 1.
you dont need a teacher, but one will help you learn quicker.

you could try getting a good guitar book,

or check out the lessons ultimate-guitar.com/lessons
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Quote by GraceKim
Whatever you do, don't do that.

A fellow by the name of Justin Sandercoe has created some instructional videos that includes a series of videos specifically designed for beginners. It teaches all the basic fundamentals that every guitarist must know.

www.justinguitar.com

Justin seems like a nice guy. The material is excellent, and it's free. But there are several other free websites that teach the fundamentals.

Definitely go there and do the beginners course!
This is what im doing...

Steps:
1. Learn the name of the strings, how to strum, how to hold a note
2. Learn how to tune
3. Learn how to read tablature, chord diagrams, scale diagrams
4. Learn the entire fretboard
6. Learn intervals
7. Learn Major/Minor Chords for C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#,G,G#,A,A#,B
8. Learn Major/Minor scales for C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#,G,G#,A,A#,B
9. Learn other chords and scales you want, this will be really easy because since you know the entire fretboard, all you have to memorize are what notes are in the scale. An example is: in C Major Scale there are C,D,E,F,G,A,B so anywhere I can play those notes from c (lowest) to b (highest) i can play that scale. This way you dont have to memorize the patterns. This works for chords to because you can use intervals or memorize what notes make up that chord so for example C Major (C,E,G) anywhere on the fretboard where C is the lowest note, you can play that chord.
10. Practice techniques (alternate picking, hammer on, pull offs, sweep picking, bending, etc.)
11. Play what you wanna play
Find the pick of destiny

Welcome to the guitar, and welcome to the pits
vguitarlessons.com has a 12 part video series. It is really good and it helped me a lot.

I went through a bunch of books and websites and never really found anything that I really liked. The vGuitarlessons videos were great and helped me immensely.
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
Just get your theory down. (Building Chords, Names of the notes on guitar neck, etc.)
After that just practice what you want.