Is anyone else intrigued by how ridiculously good sounding the Martin 000-15 is? I know I am. Today I went to a new music superstore north of toronto called Cosmos. On the walls were a few Breedloves made with master grade wood(at about $5000), a giant wall of nothing but GA, GS, and 400 series taylors, and a wall of martins which included a D-41, and a Nancy Wilson HD-35.

I played almost every single guitar in there, but only two really stood out of the crowd for me. One was the Martin 000-15. I was absolutely shocked that the cheapest martin worth buying sounded better than all the taylors and pretty much all the other martins as well. It was ridiculous. The guitar articulated extremely clearly. Every note was defined and tonally complex.

I initially strummed it for a minute or two when I first got into the room and then put it down to play some more expensive guitars. About 10 minutes before I had to leave the store, I picked the 000-15 up again, fingerpicked a few songs I knew, and was just blown away. The 000-15 blew away all those other guitars with price tags up to 5x more.

The only other guitar that stood out was another 000 body martin. I'm not sure what model it was, but it had rosewood sides/back, a 3 piece back and a really yellowish spruce that looked much like the Eric Clapton signature guitar's top. The projection and volume coming out of this instrument was ridiculous. It could definitely compete with a lot of dreads. It was, however, about 4 times more expensive than the 000-15.

Anyway, I just wanted to share with you all about my little adventure and my findings. I think I may need to pick up a 000-15 at the store someday. The sound coming out of that guitar was ridiculously.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
yah i went to a GC today.
what do you think about the taylors like the GA and GS.
i played them all at GC and just wasnt impressed not one bit, for the sound they produce they just arent worth the money, i only played a mahogany, sapele, and ovongkol i think they were all OM's tough. taylors would be great guitars, if only they were cheaper, there just way over priced for what they are, mediocre guitars.

yah but its weird how it works i played several martins, taylors and gibsons at GC and in the end of the day i fell in love with a epiphone AJ-500 that cost like 400 i think.
IMO i tought it did much bettor than the taylors and could compete with some of those martins up there, it goes to show that sometimes you dont need 2000 dollars to get good tone out of a "cheaper acoustic" sometimes youll get lucky and land one that plays like heaven for pretty small price.
Last edited by the-kid44P at Jun 21, 2008,
I didnt particularly enjoy the GA or GS Taylors. I'm generally not a Taylor fan. There's only been one taylor that i've ever really enjoyed playing and hearing, and that was the 414ce koa fall special that was released in 2007. Other than that, I can't honestly say that I really enjoy the sound of taylors in general. I can see the appeal of them, but they just aren't for me.

Seriously, that 000-15 was ridiculously good. I really can't get over it, ahaha.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Not a big fan of Martins. I played the D15 myself and it was pretty bland and I opted for a Guild instead. The only real martin I find really enjoyed was the HD28, but it was way way way out of my price range.
Got myself a Martin 00-15 here, similar story really

Tried loadddds of Martins, Taylors, Guilds, Gibsons etc. and came away with a £400 Martin

Love the thing!