Well I'm getting one of these for my 5150 II to give it a little more punch and tighten it up a little. I have the money for the Maxon but have read alot of good things about the Bad Monkey and that it uses the same circuitry and whatnot. So is it really worth it to spend $90 more for the Maxon?
well if you're a giant tone freak i would say maxon
if you're greedy i would say bad monkey
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
The MAxon is better at giving overdrive a tighter, punchier low end.

In other words, I'd get it.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Well, I really don't want something thats gonna destroy my tone but I'm not really an audiophile either lol. From what I've read the Bad Monkey doesn't really affect the tone that much. I'm leaning toward the Maxon right now and I really don't like Digitech pedals but the Bad Monkey seems to have a pretty good reputation.
I'd go with the Maxon, but conversely, I've hard nothing but positive things about the Bad Monkey.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I'd suggest a Tube Screamer, but since that's not an option... get the Maxon.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Since you have the money, there's no reason not to get the Maxon.
Quote by leondb

They are both ''Tube-Screamers'', the Maxon is the original one.
Last edited by Horlicks at Jun 21, 2008,
Quote by leondb

-facepalm-
the maxon is a tubescreamer
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
haha, they don't make TS' anymore though.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Go with the maxon. it's more expensive but it's worth it. I'm using it more than my OCD!
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
horlicks whats the difference between the ibanez and maxon ts and od 808's?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Thnx guys. I think I'm gonna go with the Maxon. Alot of the stuff I play is in drop b. I'm hoping it will tighten things up a little. I might pick up an EQ as well if I have the money.
Quote by acdclandon
horlicks whats the difference between the ibanez and maxon ts and od 808's?

The OD808's use the original chip in the tube-screamers, Ibanez use a different one. Presumably the Maxon will give a sound more faithful to the original. I know Maxon uses some higher-end components to reduce noise more. Also the EQ on the Maxon is before the distortion circuit wheras the Ibanez has a post-distortion EQ.
Last edited by Horlicks at Jun 21, 2008,
I must say I think the Maxon warrants the difference in price.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
as in it isn't as good?
because it is about 135 usd, and the ibanez is like 160 usd
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Maxon if you have the money to get it.
Bad Monkey is for a decent overdrive on a budget.
Quote by leondb
haha, they don't make TS' anymore though.

Well they do. They're identical, just under different names
Quote by acdclandon
as in it isn't as good?

Maxon > Ibanez.

Basically TS, years ago when the only 'Tubescreamer' on the market was being sold by Ibanez, Maxon and Ibanez were one company, so Maxon made the chip used in the original Tubescreamers (if you open up the original Tubescreamers they'll say "Maxon" on the PCB). When the two companies seperated, Maxon kept the schematic for the Tubescreamers under their name and have been making them since, where Ibanez have had to modify the schematic
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Last edited by Yngwi3 at Jun 21, 2008,
would it be worth upgrading my ts-9dx to in the future? (to a maxon od 808)
i know i have a mg now, but i'm getting a jcm 900, so i'll want and need a tubescreamer
is there a huge difference?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
as in it isn't as good?

I meant in comparison with the Bad Monkey...

I like the Maxon ODs much more than the current Ibanez TSs. The OD-808 and the Bad Monkey seem to be similar in terms of value for money, the OD-808 is better, but is more expensive to match. The Ibanez TS-808 isn't quite as good as the Maxon, and costs more. That's not value for money.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
I tried the OD808 beside the OD-9 and liked the Od-9 better.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore