Well as the title says I've been thinking about learning to ride for the hell of it and so I don't go "Man, I wish I learned" a couple years down the line. If it helps I live in illinois, so foreign laws I'm sure are gonna be different.

Anyways, I'm 17 so I don't think I can legally ride one until I'm 18. Does anyone know when I can get a learner's permit? I know with driving you can get one the year (15) before you're legal so I figured I could get one for a bike now right?

Also what about classes? They're not necessary but recommended right(I do plan on taking them though)? I was looking here for lessons probaby:
http://www.motorcyclelearning.com/

Any help is appreciated.
i tihnk in australia you can get your riders license when your are on your P plates for driving.. im not sure though
Quote by musiclover2399
Well as the title says I've been thinking about learning to ride for the hell of it and so I don't go "Man, I wish I learned" a couple years down the line. If it helps I live in illinois, so foreign laws I'm sure are gonna be different.

Anyways, I'm 17 so I don't think I can legally ride one until I'm 18. Does anyone know when I can get a learner's permit? I know with driving you can get one the year (15) before you're legal so I figured I could get one for a bike now right?

Also what about classes? They're not necessary but recommended right(I do plan on taking them though)? I was looking here for lessons probaby:
http://www.motorcyclelearning.com/

Any help is appreciated.

I live in the big IL too and we don't have to wear helmets. There's no law for it here. I live right next to St. Louis and in Missouri there are. People get ****ed with it all the time.

IMO a helmet should be worn, but I'm not forcing anyone to do ****. Like the Government and seatbelt laws. I don't get it.
Quote by Adam...?
I generally try to avoid being that guy, but I'm not going to lie to you, it's possible that I shit in a friend's dresser once.

Quote by Jackintehbox
Coke tastes like a can of smashed assholes, so yes there is a difference.

I am USUALLY the nicest one here.
^Yeah around here I noticed a lot of people don't wear helmets. I'd get a helmet with a tinted visor for three reasons.
1. Safety
2. See ok when bright out
3. Look badass

No idea for permits or classes though?
Quote by Austiman
IMO a helmet should be worn, but I'm not forcing anyone to do ****. Like the Government and seatbelt laws. I don't get it.

I think it's retarded that you don't have to wear seatbelts due to the first amendment or whatever the hell it is. It's safety, thousands of deaths from road accidents could be prevented from just wearing a damn seatbelt, and if you ride a motorcycle without a helmet you don't deserve your licence.
i crashed off a motorcycle at bout 110 kmph (approx 68 mph) and lived solely casue of the helmet. Id highly recommend one.

Also, if your not used to driving a manual (stick shift), try getting lessons for the motorcycle.
Co-ordination of the clutch and gas is a little tricky at first.
All the best.
Set up:-
Kustom Sound 40W Guitar Amp
Marshall MG15 CD
Zoom 707 II (surprisingly good..)
VOX Tonelab ST
Jackson DK2M (Seymour duncan TB4 and the SD jazz)
Yeah I think that even if it turns out that I don't need lessons I'll get them anyways because I want to be as good as possible so I won't have to worry about accidents as much.
My next door neighbor was in a motorcycle accident about a month ago and is paralyzed from the waist down as a result.
Quote by rossjohnson87
My next door neighbor was in a motorcycle accident about a month ago and is paralyzed from the waist down as a result.

Helmet? He'd have to damage his nerves and therefore his spine right?

Anyways anyone know about lessons being mandatory or not?