So Im looking for good pickups for my Gibson Les Paul. I want something really mellow; something that just pours good, flowing tone. I really like the original PAFs, and was considering the following:

Gibson Burstbuckers (1, 2, Pro)
Gibson '57 Classics
Duncan SH-55
Duncan Model 59's

Ive heard fantastic reviews for the SH-55's, but Guitar Center doesnt stock them, and as an employee I wouldnt easily get a discount. Im wanting them for Jazz/Blues. Im going to want to throw some heat on them from time to time, but really really high output isn't preferred. The model 59s got above average reviews, and I could get them for cheap.

Anyone have any experience with these pickups or something else that might work?
first, what is your amp?

about the SH-55, they're good for what you want. i wouldn't go for Gibson pups because of price. duncan also has the SH-PG1, which has slightly more output than SH-55.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Right now Im playing this marshal Mg series I got like 5 years ago. Im soon getting a Fender Twin Reverb Reissue or Boogie Express (probably).

For the record, I can get Burstbucker Pros for about 80$, while Id probably have to pay full price for the SH-55s. The Model 59's I can get for about 30$. Price really isnt a huge issue here, but if the sole reason from diverting from Gibson is price, know that Im not paying retail.
Last edited by fallingwalls at Jun 21, 2008,
I emailed Tim at Bareknuckle Pickups and i said i wanted a kinda Aerosmith, AC/DC crunchy chord humbucker. He said that i should get the Riff Raff humbucker, meant to sound like the 60s PAF humbuckers. I've listened to sound demos, and my god is he right.

If you live in the UK, its worth the extra 20 quid from something like Seymour Duncan humbuckers
My metal is more br00t4lz than yours

Gear:
Squier Strat
ESP B-10 Bass
Peavey Backstage
Quote by fallingwalls
Right now Im playing this marshal Mg series I got like 5 years ago. Im soon getting a Fender Twin Reverb Reissue or Boogie Express (probably).

For the record, I can get Burstbucker Pros for about 80$, while Id probably have to pay full price for the SH-55s. The Model 59's I can get for about 30$. Price really isnt a huge issue here, but if the sole reason from diverting from Gibson is price, know that Im not paying retail.

Wait until you get a new, better amp. THEN you can decide how your tone needs to be tweaked to to get your tone.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Wait until you get a new, better amp. THEN you can decide how your tone needs to be tweaked to to get your tone.

Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC