alright so i always make good sounding bassline's,and i can play anything i want on bass,but it seem's like every time i make a bassline it sounds a little bit like a bassline from some of the bands i listen to.i don't know if im being to critical of myself or if i should try and make more unique basslines.so do'es anyone else have this problem?and if so how should i get over it.
Yep, I'm from Kentucky all right! yee haw!

Quote by Zycho
Who says you need a band? A bass can do just as much exciting shit as a guitar can.
well, if you are making a bassline to a song using the root notes of the power chords,
You're gonna end up with something similar to lots of others
My bass teacher makes me take little licks from current songs and put them into my solos as influence. It allows me to write my own stuff much easier, and I've just written a bassline I'm really happy with, which doesn't sound like anything else.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
What is that favourite line in interviews of musicians?

"What were your musical influences?"

You are the sum of your musical influences parts. Its perfectly natural that when you start playing, you are going to sound much like the music that influences you. As long as you aren't trying to pedal a song out there for sale that is an obvious rip off of some one else's work, this is OK and normal. Eventually as your playing progresses, and your musical ear broadens, you start taking all of those influences and your own playing experiences and it becomes your own unique style of bass playing.

Years ago, someone did these musical "family trees" that mapped out musical styles and artists and showed how A + B = C (the new style). They were fun to look at because you could see how people were influenced by each other and developed the newer sound and style.

Edit: I remember it was Pete Frame who did those family trees. The only one I can quickly find on line is the one he did for the Eagles:

http://www.eaglesfans.com/info/frame/index.htm
yeah i guess your right about influence's,it's just i thought i was copying the song if there's one part in it that sounds like someone else's,but i realized that's not it at all,i just have to write what i feel,wether or not it sounds a little like someone else's,thanks everyone
Yep, I'm from Kentucky all right! yee haw!

Quote by Zycho
Who says you need a band? A bass can do just as much exciting shit as a guitar can.