And it didn't go as well as I would have wanted it to. At least on my part. It's not that I had to play anything difficult, but I wasn't able to "rock out" for lack of a better term. One of my friends told me after the show that I should loosen up and that I looked too tense. Thing is, I wouldn't call it stage fright as I've done school plays and whatnot. I just wasn't able to put my heart and soul into my playing.

I was kinda feeling down the rest of the night. But it wasn't because I played a bad show, no, I felt like it was over for me. I felt like i just wasn't cut out for being on stage. Then, I decided to indulge myself in some Good Earth tea (which is heavenly, btw), and the quote on the teabag read: Failure is not falling down, but refusing to give up. Then I started thinking about it, and realized there is no reason to give up on an art for any reason. Isn't sad how many musicians, writers, actors, etc just give up because the industry is not easy on them? They convince themselves that having an office job is a good alternative for being creative and staying in touch with your emotions (and by extension, reality).

So, UG, your thoughts on this? Any tips on being more relaxed on stage? Will that just come with playing more shows? Or opinions on the notion of giving up in general?

btw sorry if this is in the wrong thread. The pit seemed like the best place to put this but what do I know?
Failure is refusing to give up?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I think you'll get it the more often you do it...I wouldn't know though
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
take a shot or two before going on. don't get wasted though
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
You messed up the quote, I think you meant "failure is refusing to get up"

An on this, my band has played 7 shows and the first 3-4 we were all very much like you described, but it might have been due to limited turnout/the fact that not many of our friends could come because they were 18+ shows. But now we've played a few 14+ shows, had our friends there and been able to have some fun, dance and have some banter with the crowd. I think that presence will come with experience and confidence.

Good luck

P.S I agree with the quote, it's quite good.
Quote by Ozy44
You messed up the quote, I think you meant "failure is refusing to get up"

An on this, my band has played 7 shows and the first 3-4 we were all very much like you described, but it might have been due to limited turnout/the fact that not many of our friends could come because they were 18+ shows. But now we've played a few 14+ shows, had our friends there and been able to have some fun, dance and have some banter with the crowd. I think that presence will come with experience and confidence.

Good luck

P.S I agree with the quote, it's quite good.

thats good advice
Drink a little bit of alcohol before going up.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
Quote by Untitled001
+1

Your life is pointless, you're going to die some day anyway so nothing really matters. Now go back to bed, you uppity little bitch boy.

Or at least, thats the lesson I'm walking away with.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Dimebag Dave

not that bad advice actually. just only a teeeeeeny bit, okay?
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
what you're saying is very valid TS,

but at the same time, there are only a select few people who really have the will to really get somewhere with their specific art, in my case music. I'm the only person in my immediate group of friends who isn't working/studying full-time. I earn about 1/8th of what they do...I'm home one week a month on average...I have no monetary assets, my only possessions are my guitars, my gear and my van, no real comforts, i get all my shirts from bands i play shows with...

BUT...

3-4 days every week, i get to do something none of them will ever do, play my own compositions in front of people who actually want to be there. I've seen every major city in my country (at least twice) and i have 6 life long friends out of it.

It's the love of those little things that make it easy to pursue...if you don't have the love you're not going anywhere it's that simple. Regardless of your style of music/art etc.

To give some advice: Don't think about rocking out on stage, feel it, you'll do it without knowing, and you'll feel great. Just throw caution to the wind and let your true self shine
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Last edited by Shredder XXX at Jun 21, 2008,
Quote by Shredder XXX
i have 6 life long friends out of it.
mr popular!!

but seriously - good post. inspiring
Well, my band has performed about 5 times in my college and it turned out the same way you described it for the first 2 times.

I guess the more times you play on-stage, the more immune you'll get. Of course, occasionaly, you'll have a small amount of that stage fright (it's common, by the way) but it's just natural.
i think if you keep performing then you will get into it and it will become easier.

you were probably concentrating on not making any mistakes for your first show, which is why you didnt feel you put your heart into it. but once you are really confident with your material, and you can play it in your sleep, you will have a blast at every gig. and try not to worry too much about making mistakes; its not the end of the world and it is how you gather experience.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by Dimebag Dave

No, never do that, unless you seriously want a crappy show. Just be concentrated on playing as best as you can, entertaining the crowd (standing still is not fun to watch, is it?) and not thinking about 'what if i mess up?' stuff, simple as that. :P Have confidence in yourself, it comes naturally after some time.
Wą.
Quote by Dimebag Dave

whiskey solves all problems, still it just requires experience and it will only get less. If that feeling goes away completely(not nervous I mean) you're not excited enough to go on stage, now that should make you quit.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
It seem to me that any time I see a question asked about why somebody wasn't happy with their stage performance, the main solution suggested by anybody is "Drink a little beer, but don't get wasted". I'm pretty sure the TS is underage, and I think it would be stupid to drink before going on at at SCHOOL GIG. And in general, there are plenty of musicians who go on stage and put on a great show without drinking alcohol.

I think some good advice would be just to not care about what the audience thinks, and that's easier said than done. Remember, they're there to see you, not the other way around. They're there to see a good show, so that's what you want to put on. Besides, it was your first show, and I don't think I've ever seen any band with a truly awesome first show from a presence standpoint. Just have fun, and don't stop playing shows. Good luck!
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by grwr
No, never do that, unless you seriously want a crappy show. Just be concentrated on playing as best as you can, entertaining the crowd (standing still is not fun to watch, is it?) and not thinking about 'what if i mess up?' stuff, simple as that. :P Have confidence in yourself, it comes naturally after some time.

Not even a single for Dutch courage?
cool, i have a similar problem coming up. im in a concert, which involves songs from shows/movies. and i have to play Live and Let Die, from the Bond film of the same name. We are doing it the Guns n' Roses version, mainly because i think it rocks more than the original. but during the practices we have done on the stage. i just cant rock out. in practices off the stage i find it easier. what do you guys think?

personally, i thought adding a bit of distortion (becuase ive been doing it clean) to help me rock out. but i doubt it would work.

another factor i think is contributing is the fact the song has been ****ed about soo much. we have cut pretty much almost half of the song out, which im not overly happy with.

but regardless of this i need to rock out. can you give me any tips which dont involve alcohol. tips on losening up?
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by Shredder XXX

but at the same time, there are only a select few people who really have the will to really get somewhere with their specific art, in my case music. I'm the only person in my immediate group of friends who isn't working/studying full-time.

i want to do what you've said in your whole post but have one problem with it, is it that bad to go to university and get set up for life incase a music career doesn't go how you want it? i play guitar almost nonstop to be the best i can be, but doubt that i'll be able to earn much money without going to college and uni for accountancy of law for instance.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
you can easily get into a band in uni. that is how Queen formed; look at them now.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by LedZeppelin9345
you can easily get into a band in uni. that is how Queen formed; look at them now.

Singer got AIDS and died.

In short, don't form a band at Uni, you will get AIDS.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Quote by DimebagRob
thats good advice

Quote by Dimebag Dave

ZOMG TWO DIMEBAGS TOGETHER

WHICH ONE SHOULD WE SHOOT FIRST

im so so sorry

Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Do you jump around when you jam with your band?

If not, then how are you going to be able to do so on stage? I'm pretty much doing some stupid attention seeking manouvre from start to finish of a gig because that's what I've been doing since I started playing in a band with my mates.

Just have fun whenever you play and it will creep into your stage persona.

Don't drink. Especially if you're underage. I haven't played a gig drunk yet. I barely drink anything even if I do, even after the show. I feel good naturally afterwards and don't need anything.
^Agreed, especially with the alcohol thing. Your tolerance at your age is probably pretty inconsistent (mine sure as hell is), so it might be easy to get too drunk or not feel anything at all. As a solution... and this is going to sound like an incredibly stereotypical UG answer but it works...

Fap.

Really, it helps. I'm my band's singer/ guitarist so I don't have much chance to move around and all that, but during instrumental parts I used to stay in one place, or just stand in front of the mic. Now I move around and all that, shout stuff at the crowd, etc.
Quote by rich_sg
Singer got AIDS and died.

In short, don't form a band at Uni, you will get AIDS.

i lol'd

just keep trying man
The more shows you play, the more you'll loosen up, thats just from personal experience though. If that doesn't happen, just stop being a bitch and move your arse, you won't look stupid, you look worse when you stand still, seriously, I did myself
But good luck bro, and have fun out there