Alright i'm still pretty much a nub at guitar. I'm just wondering what are some ways to train your ear for good tone? My amp settings...I think something is bothering me about the way it sounds. i'm not very good with messing with settings though but I know it can sound better.
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
Just toy around with the settings until you find one you like.
Quote by musicianamedave
I tell them that I'm happy with my current church, the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Then I ask them if they would like to be touched by his noodly appendage.

Quote by filthandfury

YES.
Like a russian doll, with balls.

I love The Pit.
set everything in the middle. Then play a riff, lower the bass, play the riff, make the bass higher... Do that until you find where you feel the bass should be. They do the same to mid and treble. Then once that is done, go back and tweak.

Too many people don't do that, and never find a completely effect-less tone they love. They just buy pedals to mask the tone. You should NEVER use an effect to MAKE your tone. You should use effects to add subtleties and nuances to your tone, or to drive it more. But you should always have a tone that you just love with nothing.
Thanks for the help dudes. I'll make sure to follow that.
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
Set everything at 5 or noon and add what you think your sound needs and take away what you think your tone doesn't need. First get good settings with 1 piece of equipent them move to the next like find best settings for your bugera then add the Bad monkey and modify the settings slightly to tighten it up. Also for the Bad Monkey Level 10 gain 0 is the really the only setting you should use if your playing metal IMO.