I just bought myself a cry baby and it has quite seriously affected my tone. There is no bass or real power left to it and I was wondering if either the Boss Metal zone or Metalcore boxes would be any good. Im playing metal/hardcore mostly so if any one can tell me which is best or if anyone can recommend something else that would be awesome
i have the metal core and my mate has the metal zone. the metal zone has more distortion i think but the metal core sounds great on palm muting and shredding. the metal zone soudns a bit more punchy on chords. the pickup depends on how mch distortion there is. if you have a high output pickup then go for the metal core dude. there both great pedals though
Metal Zone & Core both pretty poor pedals. There are loads of better distortion pedals out there...

If it is more bass you are after then you would be better off with an EQ pedal.

Danelectro Fish'n'Chips is good if you are on a budget....
They're both terrible pedals.
If you want more bass, as said above, go for an EQ pedal.
If you want a distortion pedal then tell us what you play. (Bands e.t.c)
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Anything by boss, digitech or danelectro with the word "metal" in it usually means "crap". The EHX Metal muffs aren't bad, but the way i see it the only way to get a decent metal tone is to get a high-gain tube amp (or medium gain, modern voiced tube amp and an overdrive pedal to boost it into high gain)

edit: just to let you know, the chances are that both those boss pedals will reduce the bass response even further.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I have a Metal Zone, it is absolutely terrible, i would never ever use it live unless someone was holding a gun to my head.
I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.
Executed by injection, Oklahoma.
~~ Thomas J. Grasso, d. March 20, 1995.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
i played with all the petals at guitar center and i liked the metalcore the best, its very thick sounding distortion, and is great for pulm mutes the metalzone sounds a bit thin to my ear, the metal muff sounded pretty good to. but for as i lay dying, all that remains, the human abstract, bullet for my valentine, killswitch engage, arch enemy, as blood runs black, unearth, inflames the metalcore give you a near perfect tone.
Quote by Blompcube
Anything by boss, digitech or danelectro with the word "metal" in it usually means "crap". The EHX Metal muffs aren't bad, but the way i see it the only way to get a decent metal tone is to get a high-gain tube amp (or medium gain, modern voiced tube amp and an overdrive pedal to boost it into high gain)

edit: just to let you know, the chances are that both those boss pedals will reduce the bass response even further.

+1 to all this. I'd also suggest the Line 6 Uber Metal, on an amp with lots of clean headroom you can get some pretty nice tones out of the "Pulverize" and "Insane" settings.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Quote by Yngwi3
They're both terrible pedals.
If you want more bass, as said above, go for an EQ pedal.
If you want a distortion pedal then tell us what you play. (Bands e.t.c)

+1

If the wah is sucking a bit of tone then an EQ after it will sort the problem out. A piece of crap like the Metal Zone wil probably make things worse.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Tackleberry
If its your wah thats sucking your tone it can be moddified to true bypass.

Having one not true bypass is not going to affect his tone that much.

TS- Is the response only changed when you have the pedal engaged?
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Having one not true bypass is not going to affect his tone that much.

TS- Is the response only changed when you have the pedal engaged?

With the toe forward? Because if that's the case for the loss of bass, serious case of L-O-L.

I keed, I keed...but still.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by dranz1212
Do Not Get Digi Tech Deathmetal Whatever You Do!!!!!!!!!

Its better than both the boss pedals.
I don't know why everybody hates BOSS. I have a metal zone and it sounds killer. I think it's a great pedal. Everybody I know has at least 1 BOSS pedal and we don't have any problems with them. My friend works at our local guitar shop and he says they sell alot of the Metal Zone and has never heard any complaints.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
I don't know why everybody hates BOSS. I have a metal zone and it sounds killer. I think it's a great pedal. Everybody I know has at least 1 BOSS pedal and we don't have any problems with them. My friend works at our local guitar shop and he says they sell alot of the Metal Zone and has never heard any complaints.

Probably because your ear isn't trained to know what sounds good? And the reason they sell so much is because Boss is a VERY big name, they're like the Marshall of effects.

I own a Metal Zone and though I liked it when I got it (3 years ago) and didn't know what good tone was, I absolutely hate it now. There's no comparison between it and a good amp distortion. It sounds thin, harsh, muddy and just overall horrible.

Quote by troy88
but for as i lay dying, all that remains, the human abstract, bullet for my valentine, killswitch engage, arch enemy, as blood runs black, unearth, inflames the metalcore give you a near perfect tone.

Ummmm... no.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
What sounds good is called preference. You are saying his ear is not trained to your preference?

The digitech death metal pedal IS horrible i will give you that. it has an alright distortion but you cant change **** with it. The boss pedals are more versitile but not tame whatsoever.

Do not listen to people who want you to use what they use. If everyone were to do what people on the internet suggested there would be 7/8 of the guitar playing population with the same gear.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79

Yes, Boss is a repuatble company with lots of solid effects, but the metalzone/core are not their best work.

Good metal tones come from a good metal amp.

You can get decent ones with digital pedals, but it wont sound half as good as a real high gain tube amp.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Aric666

Do not listen to people who want you to use what they use. If everyone were to do what people on the internet suggested there would be 7/8 of the guitar playing population with the same gear.

7/8 of the guitar population NOT playing Boss metalzones?

I think we would all be just fine with that statistic.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Sansamp GT-2!!!
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

as far as i can tell i havent heard any distortion pedal that doesnt have static and buzzing and humming while your guitar is idling and the pedal is enabled, with the exception for a noise gate. then again i have very sensitive ears. but its all the same ****
Quote by Aric666
as far as i can tell i havent heard any distortion pedal that doesnt have static and buzzing and humming while your guitar is idling and the pedal is enabled, with the exception for a noise gate. then again i have very sensitive ears. but its all the same ****

we're not talking about the static buzzing while the guitar is idle, we're talking about the static buzzing that these pedals mush into the guitars tone. Even my Boss DS-2 has that - but i like the way it sounds for lo-fi distortion and its also quite a nice boost. The metalzone in particular, is absolutely awful though, there is just far too much of that screechy trebly static noise in its tone, you can get rid of it by reducing the treble, but then it ends up sounding dark and muffled.

edit: also mothership, +1 to the Sansamp GT-2, thats a really nice pedal, in "california" settings it should do some good metal tones.. i think.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 13, 2008,
Quote by the*matt
I just bought myself a cry baby and it has quite seriously affected my tone. There is no bass or real power left to it and I was wondering if either the Boss Metal zone or Metalcore boxes would be any good. Im playing metal/hardcore mostly so if any one can tell me which is best or if anyone can recommend something else that would be awesome

First off... don't jump to a quick pedal purchase, especially those pedals.

And, don't worry about true bypass vs buffered pedals..... but thats a whole different topic all together for another thread, if you are curious you can search for it... point being buy what sounds good to you, not what is being MARKETED to you by a manufacturer as "superior".

I think to better help you we are missing a few things. What other gear do you have/are currently using? and, could you be a bit more descriptive as to how the Wah is affecting your tone.... when you sweep a wah pedal it *will* seriously effect your tone.... Are you experiencing volume drop as well? Also, are you using any other pedals with it now, and what order do you have them in...

Until these questions are answered, I think that we are all just blindly throwing darts backwards at target thats not even on the wall....
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
I don't think the metalzone is a terrible pedal. Granted, I only got mine because the other guitarist in our band had one and loves it so he said he wasn't gonna budge and my band told me to get the same one to match tones. However, I've been able to find some decent sounds out of it but I'm quite positivie some of the other pedals suggested would be better.

Edit: And when I got my crybaby wah it f*cked over my tone hardcore too so i quit using it.
Quote by podliver
Get a EHX Metal Muff, it has a much better tone in my opinion.

+1