I'm going to california in august and because of thefavorable exchange rate for dollars (1$ = 0.6&euro i was thinking about buying some sheet music books and lots and lots of strings (like, 10 packs or so which probably would be enough for a year or 3). What strings do you recomend ? Currently i'm thinking about either ernie ball's (at 13€ compared to the usual 23&euro or those DR's with the coating (Black Beauties, at 23€ instead of 40&euro but maybe you guys would reccomend me somthing else. Perhaps i sould also buy some flatwounds, cause i've been wanting to try them for quite some time (James Jamerson inspired me)
Maybe you could use this as an opportunity to try out loads of different string brands? I’d recommend at least trying a set of rotosounds if you haven’t done so already.
Quote by Ripper_66
Maybe you could use this as an opportunity to try out loads of different string brands? I’d recommend at least trying a set of rotosounds if you haven’t done so already.

rotosounds are made in uk, hence theyre much cheaper here
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
your going all the way to America to buy strings?!?! wtf are you insane? if i were you i would take the opportunity and buy as many Gibson as possible and then go back to Germany and make huge amount of profits.
Quote by kckyle
your going all the way to America to buy strings?!?! wtf are you insane? if i were you i would take the opportunity and buy as many Gibson as possible and then go back to Germany and make huge amount of profits.

well, actualy, i'm going there on vacation, not just for buying strings, as that would be insane. anyways, i tought about buying a decent quality jazz bass, but i'd probably have to pay more to take it as hand luggage, and i'd probably also have to pay import taxes to take it home (some douche from the customs is most probably gonna think that there's some kind of gun inside of that hardcase). 10 packs of sting aint gonna peak nobody's atention.

also, i know the concept may be hard to grasp for you americans, but Europe is a lot more than just Germany. I'd be taking them home to Belgium

i'll look into the rotosounds, aparently from the prices on the web they do seem to be cheaper in the usa considering the favorable exchange rate
Quote by kckyle
but doesn't gibson cost more in europe?

they do, but as i noted in my previous post, if i have to pay import taxes on it, i'm screwed and probably better off just buying it in europe, and i can't just sneak past the customs check with a les paul hidden under my shirt, or can i?

and also, why'd i want a gibson bass?
Quote by mithrilglove
also, why'd i want a gibson bass?

AMEN.

I've heard Steve Harris Signature Flats are good. My old bass teacher swore by GHS brite flats.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Quote by FenderKid87
My old bass teacher swore by GHS brite flats.
You have a cool bass teacher. I really like GHS strings, they're cheap and last long. Although they smell quite a bit after a while , unlike some other strings. Although, then again it's probably cheap 'cause the company makes 'em nearby to me.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Yeah, I think the fact he likes them so much is that he has a hookup in the company and gets them crazy cheap. He was actually kind of a so-so teacher, he gave me some good insight on classical/upright technique but he was impossible to schedule with.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless