e|-|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|
B|-|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
D|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
A|-|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|
E|-|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|

Instead of starting and ending on the 3rd fret on the A string, would starting and ending on the 5th fret of the A string, and 2nd fret of the D string, ect., be worthwhile practice?

For practice I would say this:

[tab]
o|-x-|-x-|-x-|-x-|
o|-x-|-x-|-x-|-x-|
o|-x-|-x-|-x-|-x-|
o|-x-|-x-|-x-|-x-|
o|-x-|-x-|-x-|-x-|
o|-x-|-x-|-x-|-x-|
[/tab]

Maybe that {tab} didn`t work but doesn`t matter.
If you practice this its the best for your left hand. And change order of the notes.
So not always E - F - F# - G - G#
But sometimes:
G# - E - F# - F - G# - G for instance
Quote by Opalyptica

e|-|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|
B|-|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
D|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
A|-|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|
E|-|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|

Instead of starting and ending on the 3rd fret on the A string, would starting and ending on the 5th fret of the A string, and 2nd fret of the D string, ect., be worthwhile practice?

To be honest I'd put that pattern to one side for the time being, it's not going to be of any great benefit to you on its own.

Learn the scale itself first, as in the notes and intervals it contains and how it relates back to the major scale. Then you'll be able to see how that pattern is just part of a scale that covers the entire fretboard and you'll find it a lot easier to use the scale and move around the neck.

Box patterns have their uses, but they're worthless without a bit of underlying theory - at the absolute minimum you need to at least be able to identify the root note and its octaves.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ahh, but I can already do that
C Major pentatonic scale: C,D,E,G,A

It misses out the 4th and 7th from the Major Scale
Quote by steven seagull
Box patterns have their uses, but they're worthless without a bit of underlying theory - at the absolute minimum you need to at least be able to identify the root note and its octaves.
Not really. It's best for people begining to improvise, as its not only consonant but easy to remember.
Knowing 1 or 2 box shapes will allow enough room for noobs to develop their technique for real improvising. And the consonance of the pentatonic scale will allow noobs to slow down and concentrate on what they feel is the right next note, instead of looking for the notes they want.
Noobs generally dont want to be hit with a wall of theory when begining to solo. They want to rock out and impress their friends with their pentatonic wankery.

To T/S
If you already know all that than start reading up on theory and look for "melodic control" by marty friedman.
True, you can get fairly pleasing results just from experimenting within the shape, but I don't think it's too much to ask that somebody make the effort to at least learn the root note of the scale so they understand how to move it around for different chords. And if you can learn the root note then octaves are pretty simple to learn too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com