Hey guys, I've got a small analog delay on my board which I use for short repeats and slapbacks but I need another delay for tap tempo stuff, other ambient sounds, weird stuff and (especially) as a looper. I play in a Jazz/Funk/Fusion/Metal band which (more increasingly often now) dabbles in genres such as Drum N' Bass and House. Would the DD-20 be a better option than the Hazarai? The smooth and twist options interest me a lot. The Hazarai on the other hand, has 30 seconds of looping time (!) which is really attractive to me. Problem is, it doesn't do all the weird and trippy stuff that the DD-20 does (I think... correct me if I'm wrong). What I'm gonna do with the looper is I'm going to layer a vamp maybe or a riff then loop that while I play another part. For example, for a funk tune, I'd vamp the repeating guitar figure on the looper then loop that and play the chords of the song. We do a lot of Jamiroquai stuff with our vocalist so you get the idea (I think hahaha). Also, I want it to be able to add a nice space to my sound I wanna hear your opinions on this as I'm really not so well versed in the intricacies of gear, and MUCH less in delay hahaha (I don't even know what delay gilmour and the edge use.... go figure ) I've been doing some research and a lot of session musicians and my friends recommend these two, I'm also trying to research online but it's a bit hard to find unbiased, mature reviews haha.

To get a better idea of the kinda stuff we play, here's a video of us:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F_vqT9aN0dw
(my solo's after the 1st solo (the bass solo). Forgive the bad playing and bad bending, it's a combination of 3 three ariconditioners behind me knocking my guitar out of tune and bad intonation playing wise haha.)
I think I'm using the current delay pedal on that clip, I'm not so sure...

Much appreciated!
Last edited by CarlosJesena at Jun 21, 2008,
Quote by tombo91
the memory man does do a lot of weird stuff, i have almost lost control of the oscillation before haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrtct-zdU7Q

that video is a good demo of it.

ive never tried a boss dd-20 so i cant say whether to go for that or the hazarai

Hey bro, how do you like the looper on it?
the looping on it is very good, as you said theres about 30 seconds available. you can record anything, have it play and riff over it, slow down or speed up what you have recorded, reverse what you have recorded, all the usual stuff
I found the looping on the DMM to be exceptionally poor. The levels were bad, it was hard to use, etc. The DD-20 has a much more intuitive loop that works very well. The line 6 DL-4 also has a very good looper. I'd suggest either of those two over the memory man if you plan to use it for looping.
I have not tried all the features of the DD20...but I don't think you can tweak the loops like what tombo mentioned with the EHX. If someone knows otherwise, please advise. So far, I have only been able to loop just the straight up loop recording on the DD20...there may be a way?

Quote by tombo91
the looping on it is very good, as you said theres about 30 seconds available. you can record anything, have it play and riff over it, slow down or speed up what you have recorded, reverse what you have recorded, all the usual stuff
TBH I hate both of them. I used to own a DD-20 and I've used the SMM/H. Check out the Nova Delay. Smaller footprint, better sound and easier to use.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
TBH I hate both of them. I used to own a DD-20 and I've used the SMM/H. Check out the Nova Delay. Smaller footprint, better sound and easier to use.

Hey man, I know about the nova delay, a friend has one. Has no looper, though which is a shame because I liked that "dynamic mode" and the dotted note repeats but the delay time was just too short also.
Quote by Fatso Forgottso
your band...

they own.
i especially love your cover of spain, that must he hard.

Hey, thanks for the kind words man We're really workin hard to make up for lost time by practicin a LOT together as we've been around just about a year haha
Quote by CarlosJesena
Hey man, I know about the nova delay, a friend has one. Has no looper, though which is a shame because I liked that "dynamic mode" and the dotted note repeats but the delay time was just too short also.

If you really want a delay/looper I wouldn't recommend either of those. The looper on the Boss stinks, and you can't save a loop, and the SMM/H looper is ok, but really is no frills. If you can't just get two seperate units like an RC-2 and a delay, then I would really reccomend the DL-4.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
If you really want a delay/looper I wouldn't recommend either of those. The looper on the Boss stinks, and you can't save a loop, and the SMM/H looper is ok, but really is no frills. If you can't just get two seperate units like an RC-2 and a delay, then I would really reccomend the DL-4.

Oh I see, noted bro.
Quote by CarlosJesena
DD-7 anybody?

The DD-7 is basically the DD-20 without presets, LED, and tap tempo. It's all right, but I would take a SMM/H over it.
Quote by doggy_hat
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
The DD-7 is basically the DD-20 without presets, LED, and tap tempo. It's all right, but I would take a SMM/H over it.

...it was a led, and tap tempo, with expression pedal capabilites, and better features than the dd-20...
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by CarlosJesena
Really now? Such as? And how so?

I've never used the DD-7 with an expression pedal, but in most cases expression pedals on delay usually control the feedback time.
Quote by doggy_hat
Quote by acdclandon
um i think they are for tap tempo?
its somewhat unexplained as the pedal is brand new:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-DD-7-Digital-Delay-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-104911797-i1398548.gc

Yeah, I'm having a hard time finding extensive reviews/demos/explainations of the pedal which are thorough enough
Quote by CarlosJesena
Yeah, I'm having a hard time finding extensive reviews/demos/explainations of the pedal which are thorough enough

yeah i don't i think its the expression pedal that looks like a volume pedal?
apparently you can change delay times and adjust settings to some degree
sorry for the vagueness
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by CarlosJesena
Anyone for the eventide timefactor?

Amazing pedal. I didn't recommend it because it was 2X as much as your other pedals. Its great if you really like to tweak your sounds, but when your getting in that price range you can snag a used Pigtronix Echolution, which has much nicer sounds IMO.
Quote by doggy_hat
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Amazing pedal. I didn't recommend it because it was 2X as much as your other pedals. Its great if you really like to tweak your sounds, but when your getting in that price range you can snag a used Pigtronix Echolution, which has much nicer sounds IMO.

I'll check out that Pigtronix Echolution haha. I don't mind spending on the timefactor if it's that good. Does it have a looper? How long?
Quote by CarlosJesena
I'll check out that Pigtronix Echolution haha. I don't mind spending on the timefactor if it's that good. Does it have a looper? How long?

It does have a looper. Never messed around with that feature, but I remember reading about how it was different then most loopers. I was very close to buying one, but decided that I'm going to get the Nova because it wasn't worth the price difference to me. The best part about the Timefactor IMO is how the software is upgradable so its constantly being improved.
Quote by doggy_hat
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
It does have a looper. Never messed around with that feature, but I remember reading about how it was different then most loopers. I was very close to buying one, but decided that I'm going to get the Nova because it wasn't worth the price difference to me. The best part about the Timefactor IMO is how the software is upgradable so its constantly being improved.

Oh so as the software gets updated, so does your pedal? Cool!