hello all. before i get this started in what i want in a new guitar, i have to first say that i am a picky picky bastard. so if u post a guitar that u think would be best for me, dont get all defensive if i turn it down .

here is what im looking for:
price: under $600 (this is a very very strict budget)
humbucker at least in the bridge
tremolo prefered but not required
nothing that only comes in black

tones: i play a lot of hard rock and some metal (think mostly black sabbath to metallica (no emgs)), so i need something that can do them both (not exact, but good enough). if u happen to know a great guitar below my budget that i can swap out the pups to achieve what i need, that would also be appreciated (then a pup suggestion .

right now im looking into a epi lp custom, ibanezes, or maybe a used prs se custom (im a little concerned about the neck size from what i read cause i have small hands) but any suggestions are much appreciated.

im playing thru a valve jr, but please dont say buy a new amp before a new guitar, in order to get the money for a new guitar i have to sell my only current guitar and some pedals cause i am broke (hence the strict budget)

thanks all
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
try schecter

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

i have owned a schecter bass before i started getting into guitar and i loved it. im not a huge fan of the shapes of most them. models to look at would help tho, thanks.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
i was gonna say schecter.

the C-1 is good, though if you want the FR you need the hellraiser model and that comes w/ EMG's and is over your budget.
try the regular C-1 or the C-1 artist. my bands other guitar palyer has a C-1 Artist and its pretty amazing
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
i tried a schecter last time i was a guitar store and it felt really nice. but to be comepletely honest, if i get anything other than a les paul, i really want it to come with a trem (even if i get a lp, im putting a bigsby or kahler on it)
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
schecter blackjack...i think they only come in balck (that might be different now) but its got a neck thru like neck (set neck but feels like a neck thru) real seymour duncan pups and i think they have a FR available now as well $550

or if the black finish is that big of a deal then you might want to get a schecter classic
vine inlay, nickle plated pups (dont member if there real SDs or the SD designed ones) and a beautiful blue finish (theres three colors but..i love the blue one) and i think its about $600 to 650 but its nice as hell

i have the blackjack and i love it ive had it since like 05 and no complaints yet
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
well the blackjack fr with the cream binding helps the fact thats its black (im just so sick of having black guitars haha) but i will try it out next time im at a music store. thanks.

edit: i just looked at it again and it has the jb/59 sd set, which if i were to ever switch out pups, those are the exact ones i would get...

i am now very intrigued...
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Jun 21, 2008,
try a yamaha silent series. they are justover $500 and are technically acoustic-electric but only because u can get one w/ nylon strings. plays basically anything really well. go to yamaha.comm for more info if u want [/FONT]
i just looked the blackjacks now have a white finish and some have the sd active w/e new pups ans some still have the JB/51 combo

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
why do you want a new guitar?

and at your prices you dont really have the money to be picky
The PRS SE series are great guitars for that price. I have small hands also, but I don't find the neck to be too big. I have the SE Singlecut with a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck and I can get basically any sound I want. Of course, if you can, go try one out first and see if you think the neck feels to big.
i think he has quite a bit of selction.......

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by Flamin' Mania
why do you want a new guitar?

and at your prices you dont really have the money to be picky

well im selling a few pedals because I don't use them anymore, and I have been wanting a slight upgrade in quality from my epi lp standard. so i figured instead of buying different pedals, sell my guitar as well and upgrade a bit.

The PRS SE series are great guitars for that price. I have small hands also, but I don't find the neck to be too big. I have the SE Singlecut with a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck and I can get basically any sound I want. Of course, if you can, go try one out first and see if you think the neck feels to big.

thanks for info, i will certainly try it out. how were the stock pickups?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Jun 21, 2008,
The stock pickups were actually pretty decent, I used them for a quite a while. I eventually just changed them because I had some extra money and had heard good things about the two dimarzios.
why dont you just buy new parts and make your own guitar, some places if your lucky you can find what you want really cheap.

there are like whole websites devoted to that too so its not like you need much know how
Quote by PChase
The stock pickups were actually pretty decent, I used them for a quite a while. I eventually just changed them because I had some extra money and had heard good things about the two dimarzios.

do u think they can handle what i need them for? the prs is kinda pushing my budget and idk if i can get it i would need a pup swap (maybe if i just get a bridge, idk).
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
do u think they can handle what i need them for? the prs is kinda pushing my budget and idk if i can get it i would need a pup swap (maybe if i just get a bridge, idk).

Yes, I do think they could handle the bands you listed above. If you haven't seen the following demo, see what you think. He is using the stock pickups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hmDn7hL57s
Quote by PChase
Yes, I do think they could handle the bands you listed above. If you haven't seen the following demo, see what you think. He is using the stock pickups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hmDn7hL57s

i am seriously falling in love. i cant wait to go try one out and see if the neck is ok for me. thanks for the vid!
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
bump

im very torn between the prs se custom and c-1 blackjack. on one hand its another black guitar but it has the exact pups i want, on the other hand, its a prs and the finish is awesome and from the vids i saw it sounds amazing.

still open to other suggestions. thanks.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30