Ok, so i'm a lefty player, and a reasonably competent one at that, but recently i was given a cheap right-handed acoustic guitar.

So a couple of days ago i picked it up to have a play round and found myself wondering if i could learn to play right handed as well.

And now, just 2 days later, i can play all the basic chords, and some 7th chords and so on the way a right-hander would do so. I'm sure that if i stick at it in a couple of weeks or so i could be perfectly happy playing the stereotypical acoustic songs (wonderwall, time of your life etc) in a right-handed fashion.

Now i know that there is obviously a much greater choice of righty guitars and that being able to play right-handed will mean i can pick up a buddy's guitar no problem, but my question is - is it worth it? will my left-handed playing be compromised because i can play righty, should i learn and stick to righty for the reasons already mentioned? or should i stay as a lefty but learn to play righty as a party trick? I'd love to be able to play both ways but i'm not sure if it's in my best interests to learn how to do so.

Any advice would be much appreciated, i'm in a bit of a conundrum.
Stay left-handed. It's a nice party trick if you would play something and suddenly switch to right handed, but there are a lot of great left-handed guitar players: JIMI HENDRIX!!!!! which just turned right-handed guitars into left-handed.
i prefer to play right handed guitars but turn them round and play them as a left handed would, so they're upside down, if you like. it saves time learning the chord shapes again with your other hand.
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
Man. If I could play left-handed, I totally would do so...
“If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it.”
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16
Well damn. You caught me. I'm horribly gay.

RIP Rev
Quote by PrincessJoe
Stay left-handed. It's a nice party trick if you would play something and suddenly switch to right handed.

He's right, I did it at some music shop and everyone who was looking was amazed. It was nice.
As long as you keep up the practice with your left hand just as much as with your right hand, I don't see anything bad coming from it. Maybe even a bit of extra dexterity in both hands. It could only help your tapping and finger picking...right?
Cheers guys, i think i'm gonna bring my righty playing skills up to a level where, say, in a shop, i can get a good feel for a guitar by playing it right-handed, or at least a good enough feel for it so that i can decide if a i want to order a lefty version, and also so i won't have to turn down offers of playing a friend's guitar when in the vicinity of the girl i like (has happened twice in the last week).

Other than that, i think i'm gonna stay lefty. Looks far cooler
I find it more impressive if you switch instruments all together, me and my buddy switch between drums and guitar. Too bad it's painfully obvious that we suck at eachother's respective instruments
It would be pretty impressive to see someone play good at both, but unless you're gonna double your practice time(to keep practicing as much as left-handed), it's not really worth it.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Ha, I'm in the same boat. I play righty, but I recently restrung my old mexi strat lefty and now I can play some very basic solos and stuff. Also, it has really helped with my seven finger tapping (still can't use the pinky too much). It has improved my right hand dexterity and has opened up a lot of doors tapping wise which I thought to be impossible a few months ago.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Doesn't Michael Angelo Batio play ambidextrously? If you practice both ways I can't see how it would impair you, it would actually be neat if you could play two necks at once MAB style, it would take tons of work though.
Quote by Mass Extinction
Ok, so i'm a lefty player, and a reasonably competent one at that, but recently i was given a cheap right-handed acoustic guitar.

So a couple of days ago i picked it up to have a play round and found myself wondering if i could learn to play right handed as well.

And now, just 2 days later, i can play all the basic chords, and some 7th chords and so on the way a right-hander would do so. I'm sure that if i stick at it in a couple of weeks or so i could be perfectly happy playing the stereotypical acoustic songs (wonderwall, time of your life etc) in a right-handed fashion.

Now i know that there is obviously a much greater choice of righty guitars and that being able to play right-handed will mean i can pick up a buddy's guitar no problem, but my question is - is it worth it? will my left-handed playing be compromised because i can play righty, should i learn and stick to righty for the reasons already mentioned? or should i stay as a lefty but learn to play righty as a party trick? I'd love to be able to play both ways but i'm not sure if it's in my best interests to learn how to do so.

Any advice would be much appreciated, i'm in a bit of a conundrum.

just learn to play righ handed. theres no point in playing left. you dont see any other instrument in left and right handed models.