alright , so.. im very new at this ive only been learning guitar a short amount of time , just a few weeks into it right now actually , i bought a us fender strat because ive just always loved the look and always wanted to learn to play and i was going to iraq so what better time to learn right? well anyway

i have some crappy little crate amp right now and its ok i guess but i just think it sounds garbage and ive been looking at so many amps and im just not sure which way to go , i think i want a tube amp but im not really sure whether to go with a combo amp..go for pedals or what , any advice? im mostly interested in rock also if that helps any , but for now i was just thinking of getting the boss OS-2 to give a little something to my **** amp
im willing to spend up to 300 maybe 350 , i dont need anything huge , i was thinking maybe a 1x12 as far as music goes i like to play around with 311 , ozzy , nirvana , stuff like that i cant really say too much because as im just starting out i havent found exactly what im looking to do but id love to get something other than the amp i have , its like driving a lamborghini on firestones tires , im hoping for something that can sound good quiet or loud as well because i do most of my practicing at work
Get a modeling amp. (Roland Cube 30 or a Vox DA 20). until you find out what you like.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
so should i still be thinking about pedals or anything for OD or distortion? or do you think i should wait
So is it safe to say you are in the military and coming home at some point?

What is available over there? Are you there now? I take you are ordering on-line maybe?

Budget is $350 right? Is that $US?

PS. +1 to 311 yo.

The Cubes are nice but if you can get a tube combo and safely carry/transport you may want to look at say a Fender SuperChamp XD (hybrid). And i would personally recommend a Digitech Bad Monkey over that Boss. Need more info bro.
yeah im in the army , ive still lookin at plenty of time over here and yes im ordering online , also yes US$ , i dunno about the hybrid though ive been doin research and i hear its just not worth it not to knock your advice at all because lets face it i dont know what im talking about lol , also im sure a tube amp would be fine through shipping not 100% on that but if it did get messed up through shippind it would be covered
Hey, first of all Hats off to you for doing what you do for our Country despite whether or not us being over there makes sense or not. Personally i think it is good thing so i admire what you're doing. :congrats:

Usually i would not recommend a hybrid, but you are just under the mark for all tube except for these maybe. Look into a Blackheart or Epi Vavlve Jr.

I would recommend a Peavey Valveking112 combo but they are $400 new and like 45 lbs. Will you be gigging over there too?

Roland Cube is still a good option of you don't mind solid state.

here are some used Vavlekings i just found if you decide to go that route.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=peavey+valveking+112&category0=

Actually there is an Epi combo see list below:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tube-Combo-Amps-Combo-Amps3.gc?o=1

Edited for stupidity.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 21, 2008,
alright thanks alot for the help , nah no gigs lol i need to learn first i just like to hear it well while i play so its easier to pick up on my mistakes that and when i do something right i want it to sound right...right
Quote by imnewb
alright thanks alot for the help , nah no gigs lol i need to learn first i just like to hear it well while i play so its easier to pick up on my mistakes that and when i do something right i want it to sound right...right

what you just said makes a lot of sense and wish more people thought that way.

well, you've got some stuff to go on and good luck. come back here and/or ask others opinions or PM me if you want more.

oh, and