I've got two problems with the clarity of pinch harmonics, and I don't know what I can do to fix them:

1) I can get clear pinch harmonics out of my Les Paul easily, but with my SG no matter what I do, no matter how much I focus, I can't get them at all. With the LP I can get them to ring out perfectly without even thinking about it, but with the SG, I can't get them at all. Both guitars have been properly set-up, they use the same strings, same tuning, they have the same kind of nut, same scale, same bridges. The Les Paul has Alnico II Gibson BurstBucker pickups and the SG has Epiphone Alnico V pickups - the SG's pickups are hotter, so they should let the harmonics sing out more, right? But it just refuses to. I don't know what I can do to get any harmonics out of the SG. Is a pickup change really all that would fix it?

2) I have two practise amps, an SS I use on occasion for convenience and a tube that I use for more serious practise. With the tube amp with my usual pedals and so on, I can do a pinch harmonic on my LP and it only lasts about half or two thirds of the time that a normal note does. With the SS amp, with the same pedals and everything, I can do a pinch harmonic on the LP and the harmonics with the SS amp last just as long as regular notes do. Why is it that harmonics on the tube amp don't last as long? Are all tube amps like this, is mine ****ed up? Is there something I can do to fix this? The only thing I can really think of is that the SS amp has an on-board EQ that is set for bass to be reduced slightly, but other than that, the SS and tube amps are set up and used exactly the same. Anyone got ideas how I can get the tube amp to provide me with the same sustain on pinch harmonics that the SS gives me?

Also, can a compression/sustainer pedal help with harmonics? I figure since it boosts quieter inputs, it should do, but I don't want to go out and buy stuff without checking...
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
whenever i turn my mids down on the amp pinch harmonics come out easier and longer
Quote by Kensai
It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
the higher the treble the better the artificial harmonic. also make sure your pick up is set to the bridge one for better harmonics i hope that helps
ok i have no idea about the last 2 things you asked, but the first one......sorry if this seems like a stupid suggestion, but where your hand is trying to do the pinch's move it from the back to from until you can hear it, either that or theres something up with your technique, not sure how that could be though

other then that i hope theres someone here that can help with the tube question and for the compression/sustainer deal, just look it up. there is bound to be someone else that has asked that same question lol
Well, I know it's not the intonation, I've had both guitars properly set-up and their intonation (when I test with a tuner) is dead-on perfect. So it can't be that.

I don't think it's my technique either because like I said I can get them out of my LP perfectly (and my Strat too, come to that). It's just the SG where suddenly it all goes very wrong.

Yes, of course I'm using the bridge pickup. I hadn't thought of treble/mid EQ though. I always have treble boosted slightly and bass reduced slightly, I think the SG's pickups naturally have more mid presence though than the LP's. Maybe that's it. I'll have a fiddle with the EQ on the SS amp and see if I can at least get the SG sounding right on that.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Well, I know it's not the intonation, I've had both guitars properly set-up and their intonation (when I test with a tuner) is dead-on perfect. So it can't be that.

I don't think it's my technique either because like I said I can get them out of my LP perfectly (and my Strat too, come to that). It's just the SG where suddenly it all goes very wrong.

Yes, of course I'm using the bridge pickup. I hadn't thought of treble/mid EQ though. I always have treble boosted slightly and bass reduced slightly, I think the SG's pickups naturally have more mid presence though than the LP's. Maybe that's it. I'll have a fiddle with the EQ on the SS amp and see if I can at least get the SG sounding right on that.

They ring out better on tubes maybe new amp?
Quote by zxkevkop
They ring out better on tubes maybe new amp?
No, that's the second problem I mentioned - I have a tube amp, and harmonics ring out much better on the SS amp.

I just tried fiddling with the EQ on the SS amp. Didn't improve the SG's harmonics at all. I tried just putting bass on zero, mids at 3, treble and gain at 10, and added a DS-1 maxed out in front of that, and I still couldn't get a single damn harmonic out of the damn SG. Then I tried the same with the LP and it's harmonic city... sigh.

I'm guessing now it must be the pickups. That's the only thing I can think of; the SG has stock Epi pickups, the LP has lower-output Gibson pickups. It defies all logic but perhaps the lower-output Gibsons actually react to harmonics better?