Just bought myself a fender strat and noticed if you look at the strings side on (so the guitar is also thin side on) they start lower then raise in the middle before going lower again is this normal and does how i`ve described make any sense?
Actually makes no sense at all. The strings are going to be perfectly straight lines as long as there's tension on them. They can't raise and lower as you describe it. The neck can though. Maybe that's what you're seeing?
If you're looking at your guitar from the top as you would play it with the Low E at the top and the High E at the bottom and the neck (fretboard) is closer to the strings at the first few frets and last few frets than the middle frets then it sounds like your neck is concave and may be in need of a truss rod adjustment.

A page here describes how to alter your guitar settings.

Bear in mind if you aren't 100% happy doing this yourself then go to a guitar shop with a technician and let them do it (and watch them if they'll let you). It's not too difficult.

If you do it yourself be careful not to damage the guitar and then set the intonation afterwards.
Quote by LeftyDave
Actually makes no sense at all. The strings are going to be perfectly straight lines as long as there's tension on them. They can't raise and lower as you describe it. The neck can though. Maybe that's what you're seeing?

I am pretty sure he is talking about the action and the height of the strings from the body compared to other strings NOT other parts on the same string

I dont know why it is like that........ I guess since it is new, if you take it to your local music store and ask for it to be setup they will be adjusted correctly. I dont' recommend you doing it yourself unless you know what you are doing.

Are you taliing about the height of the strings from the body or from the neck fret board?

Also, are you talking about one particular string goes down and up or the low strings are down and middle strings are high and high strings are low? That sounded very confusing. I guess just dont aswer this one.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Last edited by Polystant at Jun 21, 2008,
sorry what i mean is as you look at the guitar from the side on veiw the strings look like your approaching a hump back bridge lower nearer you getting higher in the middle and lowering off again , this is at the base of the neck where it joins the body
In that case...

Is your fretboard radiused? i.e. not totally flat but raised in the middle of the neck? If so the strings just follow the curve of the neck and it's normal. As long as your strings are in tune throughout their length and you have no problems with the action of the guitar then it's fine.
So, you're saying that the strings are close to the fretboard at the 1-5 and 20+ frets, but high in the the middle?

In that case, I'd raise the action at the bridge and maybe tighten the truss rod a touch.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Why I didn't see this before is beyond me. ruffdog, I know what your talking about now that I think about it differently. What you're referring to is the arc of the strings as they go over the bridge saddles correct? The ones in the middle are higher than the ones to the outside edges. This is normal. The saddles are pre-adjusted to closely match the fretboard radius. The fretboard radius is is an imaginary circle around the fretboard ok. 16" is a normal measurment found on a lot of guitars. Picture a hula-hoop hanging off the fretboard of the guitar as it's laying flat on it's back. The hoop has a diameter of 16". The slight curve of the arc of the hoop that's touching the fretboard would give the fretboard a 16" radius as long as the arc matches that of the fretboard. A 20" radius would equal out to a flatter fretboard because it's a bigger circle and therefor has a more gradual arc, whereas a 14" would have a more pronounced curve on the fretboard because it's a smaller circle.
Sorry for the misinterpretation earlier. For some reason I was picturing your strings being all wavy along their length, which is just weird.
thats it lefty dave , at least it`s normal i must admit it looked too well set for it to be wrong but you never know, thanks