Hey guys thanks for checking out my question cause I really need an informative answer. Here's the deal: I really want to buy a Line 6 Spider III Head because I love the models and effects and have a really low budget. Can I pair it with a Marshall cab? (I think a 1960a if that helps with the answer). Thanks again for checking out my question. Please don't post any Line 6 hate or anything else like that because I'll just report you and I've heard it all before.
*Hands flame shield*

You have to make the OHMS on the cab and the head match and if they do your all right.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
*Hands flame shield*

You have to make the OHMS on the cab and the head match and if they do your all right.

the flameshield is no match for UG
Yes you can. Many on here forget that fact that the Cab is what actually produces the sound. I say go for it. You can always upgrade the head later, you will have a cab that will do anything you will ever want to do.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal

This. Check the ohms in the back of the head and on the input of the cab. Or it'll say of the site of the amp.
Should work. I'd get the 75 head. Don't be fooled by the 150, it's not 150w, it's 2x75 stereo and you'll only end up using one side unless you use two cabinets.

To any "tube" this, "tube" that, tube combo, etc, etc eeejits. Let him get what he wants.
These go to eleven...
Quote by DW#
Yes you can. Many on here forget that fact that the Cab is what actually produces the sound. I say go for it. You can always upgrade the head later, you will have a cab that will do anything you will ever want to do.

i can't believe i'm actually reccomending a line 6. i agree with DW, you can save up later and buy a nice head, and if you still want all the effects, start buying pedals, or try a boss multiple effects processor (me-50 or something like that)
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Should work. I'd get the 75 head. Don't be fooled by the 150, it's not 150w, it's 2x75 stereo and you'll only end up using one side unless you use two cabinets.

To any "tube" this, "tube" that, tube combo, etc, etc eeejits. Let him get what he wants.

if he gets the 1960 cab, those can be run in stereo.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by party_on_wayne
i can't believe i'm actually reccomending a line 6. i agree with DW, you can save up later and buy a nice head, and if you still want all the effects, start buying pedals, or try a boss multiple effects processor (me-50 or something like that)

well he's not saying he wants a line 6 cuz of the br00talz tonez or anything. he likes the effects and has a low budget. what else can you do?

anyways, yeah the 1960a cab should work. most amps and heads have similar ohm settings, and that particular cab has plenty of watts to handle the head.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by Erock503
if he gets the 1960 cab, those can be run in stereo.
I never see that as true stereo. One cab at each end of the stage or something, yes. But that close together I think would be hardly noticable, although I've never tried it.
These go to eleven...
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
I never see that as true stereo. One cab at each end of the stage or something, yes. But that close together I think would be hardly noticable, although I've never tried it.

If the cab can be run in stereo, it's stereo. It's mono or stereo, no in between. In a live situation the speaker mic channels would be panned at the board, not by physically separating the speakers themselves.
Because the 1960 cab is actually one of the good marshall cabs. Its not an MG cab and the spider is a cheap head unit. So hes actually buying a good cab and it is switchable to stereo. And TS you will still need to shell out more money for a pedal controller for the head unit. Its why spider amps are so cheap they dont come with a footswitch. So for the money spent on the cab (700) and the head (249) and a controller (99 to 250) you could get a really really nice tube combo amp and a good multi FX.
Quote by MAYNARD
If the cab can be run in stereo, it's stereo. It's mono or stereo, no in between. In a live situation the speaker mic channels would be panned at the board, not by physically separating the speakers themselves.
Well I've never played anywhere with a stereo FOH system. =/ Most sound guys I've had to deal with are fussy and only really like one amp and one mic.
These go to eleven...
Um, get a cube 60 is you want the effects. Better amp, less money. Very simple choice no?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
my suggestion would be possible be get a Roland JC-120 (i fell in love with one of these in the city the other day) And run a damn good multi effects pedal into, such as a boss gt-8/10 or the Line 6 pod xt/x3.

Thats just my suggestion
Quote by kckyle
that head is so going to hold back your cab's potential/

....and his own potential to say the least. So many missed notes in the "clutter".

Chris
Oh come on guys. Don't bug him...

Just make sure the ohms match. It should work.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I went through a stage where i wanted many different heads and different cabs. I stuck with the 1960a cab because it pretty much handles any head and has the most versatility and matched to my dsl401. I then saved and worked like a bitch to save for my valve head. In the end, it was worth the 1 and a half year wait.

On topic...check the impendance. The 1960 cab is a great cab.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Quote by Tackleberry
Because the 1960 cab is actually one of the good marshall cabs. Its not an MG cab and the spider is a cheap head unit. So hes actually buying a good cab and it is switchable to stereo. And TS you will still need to shell out more money for a pedal controller for the head unit. Its why spider amps are so cheap they dont come with a footswitch. So for the money spent on the cab (700) and the head (249) and a controller (99 to 250) you could get a really really nice tube combo amp and a good multi FX.

The 1960a isn't that good.
It's like the industrial average cab. It's made out of chipboard as well.

TS, I know, you said no Line 6 hate. But, I recommend something else. The line 6 has a lot of problems, and bugs, and reliability issues.
You could always try a flextone. They have the effects too.
Or you could try a second hand tube combo.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by Moe.
The 1960a isn't that good.
It's like the industrial average cab. It's made out of chipboard as well.

TS, I know, you said no Line 6 hate. But, I recommend something else. The line 6 has a lot of problems, and bugs, and reliability issues.
You could always try a flextone. They have the effects too.
Or you could try a second hand tube combo.

It is actually good. The speakers are the standard yes, but they still produce a good sound. I'd rather that over a Behringer any day.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Quote by b00m_
It is actually good. The speakers are the standard yes, but they still produce a good sound. I'd rather that over a Behringer any day.

Yeah, I would too. And not once did I say the behringer was better than the Marshall.
The Marshall amp is good-ish. But for the price there's so much better out there.
Besides, Marshall's QC hasn't been top notch lately.
Signatures are overrated.
w/e is not the wood, screws or the logo that makes the cab good. is the speakers INSIDE. thats what i like about avatar cab. you can get the same set of celestion greenback speakers in a avatar cab and will sound exactly the same as the 1960 marshall cab with 300 dollar less in price difference.
Quote by kckyle
w/e is not the wood, screws or the logo that makes the cab good. is the speakers INSIDE. thats what i like about avatar cab. you can get the same set of celestion greenback speakers in a avatar cab and will sound exactly the same as the 1960 marshall cab with 300 dollar less in price difference.

You're actually very wrong.
Speakers are a big part but...

How the cab is made makes a very big difference in sound as well.
Otherwise everybody would just buy Behringer cabs and upgrade the speakers.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by kckyle

1960s don't have Greenbacks. They have G12T-75s...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx

Or make the cab from cardboard and gluue and put v30's in it.
Quote by atr5557
Quote by b00m_
Or make the cab from cardboard and gluue and put v30's in it.

EDIT: Maybe they should have that build stickied in the GB&C. Anyone care to try it and tell us how it sounds?
exactly, the acoustics of the cab matter too.
the ported G-Flex cab has better bass response than the Marshalls I have tried, mainly due to its...DESIGN.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Last edited by xMikeyxMetalx at Jun 22, 2008,
ok while everyone is arguing about cabs, TS, yes, you could get the line 6 head and run it through a nice cab. just be sure to match the ohms
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Hey everyone:
Just wanted to say thanks for all of the help you've offered and the great advice you've given. I understand the ups and downs of Line 6 as I've been scouting for over a year now. I'm really proud that UG is competly full of haters.
Quote by sghunter182
Hey guys thanks for checking out my question cause I really need an informative answer. Here's the deal: I really want to buy a Line 6 Spider III Head because I love the models and effects and have a really low budget. Can I pair it with a Marshall cab? (I think a 1960a if that helps with the answer). Thanks again for checking out my question. Please don't post any Line 6 hate or anything else like that because I'll just report you and I've heard it all before.

OH NOEZ ANYTIHN BUT TEH BHANHAMMERRRR
Quote by Say Ocean
OH NOEZ ANYTIHN BUT TEH BHANHAMMERRRR

Decent cab TS, but honestly you could probably find a decent used tube head in that price range. But then again I'm just saying. If you're still trying to find your own sound or need series versatility and your really on a budget get the Line 6 by all means then.
If you can buy a Spider head and pair it with a Marshall (not MG) cab, you don't have a very low budget.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx

yeah i just learned the importance of wood couple days ago. my bad