Hey, I've been using the sweet child o mine tone on my pocket pod for a while now, but the time has come to get my second amp to replace the piece of crap i've got at the moment. The main thing I want is a tone like Slash's, not exactly like the one on the recordings of november rain and everything, the tone he has live will do fine.

So, what do i need to get that tone?

Thanks on advance
Well, buy a Slash Signature les paul, and the same stack he uses.

That might help a bit

(sorry for sarcasm)
Search " Noob Want Slash's Tone" and you'll get a rude but good explanation

And Slash Uses a Modded Marshall that cost thousands of dollars
Quote by Demonikk
+1 on everything phip said

Main Gear
PRS SE Custom
Jay Turser Strat
Classic 30
Effects
Beheringer Distortion pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Quote by kckyle
a marshall plexi

yeah thats pretty much it, the slash wah pedal would help also
Marshall MG & a Fender Strat

Edit:
Real Advice:
Some sort of Les Paul (Mahogany Body with Maple Cap I believe), Alnico II magnet pickups (like Saul uses) & a Marshall Tube Amp of some sort, probably a Plexi half-stack would be a better amp for tone,
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re

I lol'd

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
slash uses an unmodified marshall jubilee with an alnico II loaded les paul, jubilees are getting hard to find and theyre expensive so realistically you should be looking for a jcm 800 and a pedal, maybe a marshall guvnor or sumthing along those lines.....
Quote by Kingyem0c0re

Edit:
Real Advice:
Some sort of Les Paul (Mahogany Body with Maple Cap I believe), Alnico II magnet pickups (like Saul uses) & a Marshall Tube Amp of some sort, probably a Plexi half-stack would be a better amp for tone,

I'm sure you mean Squier Strat!

And I bet you didn't know that he used one on Libertad!!

But, yeah, you will need a 1959 Les Paul and a JCM800, I think.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
It's all in the amp.

Slash's tone almost 100% comes from a medium-hot Marshall amp with large speakers, set with medium gain.
The reason Slash uses those famous Alnico II Pro pickups is just because they are low-output, so they won't drive the amp themselves. He gets all of his overdrive/distortion from the amp, he uses low-output pickups so he can have the gain turned off and have a good clean tone while keeping the amp at full volume. In theory though, you can use hotter pickups - basically the key is just to not let your pickups themselves drive the amp.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I've actually been able to bust out a great JCM800 sound on my Traynor. Makes sense as the Blue is modeled after such, but that's always an alternative...
nearly any amp will do, but a les paul and Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro IIs will nail it.
Quote by third-eye
nearly any amp will do, but a les paul and Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro IIs will nail it.

hm not necessarily. i can get a very similar tone from my sg though the hughes and kettner
On a budget, a Traynor YCV50 Blue and something along an Epi/Agile/Edwards/Tokai/Burny Les Paul would do you fine with some Alnico II pick-ups.
Quote by third-eye
Really not. You can get a goo9d Slash tone with single coils on a Strat if you know what you're doing. Slash's tone comes 99% from his other gear, his amp and pedals, and his guitar only contributes a tiny portion to his tone. That's why when he uses his double neck SG or his Mockingbird, the tone still sounds exactly the same.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by CT32
I've actually been able to bust out a great JCM800 sound on my Traynor. Makes sense as the Blue is modeled after such, but that's always an alternative...

Same here, I also have the Blue 50 watt modle your talkin about, it has great tone. And when you throw in a MXC 10 band EQ thru the FX loop that amp is freakin prime.

Edit: This amp is loud, not for anyone who has neighbors.
www.Savetoby.com

Help Save Toby By Clicking Link Above!!!!!
Last edited by joblow at Jun 21, 2008,
Ceriatone JCM 800 copy
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by MrFlibble
Really not. You can get a goo9d Slash tone with single coils on a Strat if you know what you're doing. Slash's tone comes 99% from his other gear, his amp and pedals, and his guitar only contributes a tiny portion to his tone. That's why when he uses his double neck SG or his Mockingbird, the tone still sounds exactly the same.

What? Are you drunk, slash is so freakin fussy about his guitars if one note on any of the strings sounds bad he'll throw it away... And he doesnt rele use any pedals dumb ass.
www.Savetoby.com

Help Save Toby By Clicking Link Above!!!!!
Quote by joblow
What? Are you drunk, slash is so freakin fussy about his guitars if one note on any of the strings sounds bad he'll throw it away... And he doesnt rele use any pedals dumb ass.

By the vehemence in your typing I'd say you were a dick...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Top hat => Cigarette dangling from mouth => Les Paul w/Alnico II pro's and neck tone rolled back => Dunlop wah => Marshall Jubilee/Plexi/JCM800 with medium gain and the power section driven 'till it begs for mercy.

The first two are the most important, you'll never truly nail his tone without them.