today im going to buy a guitar an expensive one or one that is awesome quality

i have many many many questions
i been looking at the brand taylor since everybody seems to love them for a reaon beside they look cool as hell

1st question
is taylor overpriced?

like i know gibsons are overpriced just because of the brand name
for example i went to samash once tried a few expensive gibson guitars and i fell in love with the jh-600 esp the action was smooth fingerboard was ebony had floyd rose and everything

2nd question?
what are somethings that i need to look for an acoustic?

i know an eletric you pay attention to pickups and bridge and knobs and switches but i got no idea with an accoustic

3rd question?
i know theres like a special maintenace you have to do on expensive guitars like humidifer and stuff is there anything else i need to do? if so what is it? and do i need a humidifier if i live in south florida?

4th question
what is the difference between guitars that have a body like this
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-314CE-Grand-Auditorium-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=514973

and guitars that have a body like painted like this?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ovation-6778-LX-Standard-Elite-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=513634

any help is appreciated
i post some more stuff later on right now my food is getting cold
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Last edited by stefan1988 at Jun 21, 2008,
You left out the second "this"

Question 1:
Probably, that and martin...
Most guitar are overpriced..

Question 2:

Blemishes.... rattling of pieces...heck, if its a electric acoustic, make sure all that stuff on it is good....doesnt rattle sturdy ect.

Question 3:

Yeah, that might be important, make sure to change ALL the strings when one snaps..

Question 4:

You didnt put a second "this" so i dont know... are you talking about the different finishes?
i perfer the ones that arnt slick...like my arm to stay in place.

Also, just find one YOU like... sounds good to you, thats whats most important.
Guitars
------------------

Epiphone SG w/seymour duncan JB's

Hagstrom Super Swede

Amp
-----------------

Traynor YCV50 BLUE

Pedals
------------------

Line 6 DL-4

Boss TU-2
You left out the second "this"

i just corrected it
i went to get some food and i forgot about it

Blemishes.... rattling of pieces...heck, if its a electric acoustic, make sure all that stuff on it is good....doesnt rattle sturdy ect.

that's good advice but i mean what kind of body do i need to look for like ebony,maple,mahogany? and the fingerboard? and that kind of thing
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Quote by stefan1988
today im going to buy a guitar an expensive one or one that is awesome quality

i have many many many questions
i been looking at the brand taylor since everybody seems to love them for a reaon beside they look cool as hell

1st question
is taylor overpriced?

like i know gibsons are overpriced just because of the brand name
for example i went to samash once tried a few expensive gibson guitars and i fell in love with the jh-600 esp the action was smooth fingerboard was ebony had floyd rose and everything

2nd question?
what are somethings that i need to look for an acoustic?

i know an eletric you pay attention to pickups and bridge and knobs and switches but i got no idea with an accoustic

3rd question?
i know theres like a special maintenace you have to do on expensive guitars like humidifer and stuff is there anything else i need to do? if so what is it? and do i need a humidifier if i live in south florida?

4th question
what is the difference between guitars that have a body like this
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-314CE-Grand-Auditorium-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=514973

and guitars that have a body like painted like this?

any help is appreciated
i post some more stuff later on right now my food is getting cold

1. All good brand names are overpriced, not just taylor. Whether it is worth the money or not is really up to you. I believe that Martins are overpriced, but worth the money. I do not believe that Taylors are worth the price because I've only played 1 taylor that i actually liked.

2. With an acoustic, you just need to look out for the tone and the playability. Those two things make up basically everything important about an acoustic guitar. Acoustics are all about tone tone tone and "OMG, SHE PLAYS LIKE A DREAM". You know?

3. You may not need a humidifier. You might need a DEhumidifier. There is such a thing as overhumidifying your guitar. The results are equally bad. Guitar maintenance is easier than you think. Moisturize your fretboard and bridge every half a year with lemon/mineral oil and clean it down with a damp cloth and a nice solid rub.

4. I dont quite get your question, but I'm assuming it's asking about painted guitars. Painted guitars lose tone, it's as simple as that. Gloss loses some tone as well because it hinders vibration. Gloss however, is a protective measure while paint is not. The tonal hinderance of paint probably isnt noticeable, but it does indeed kill some tone.

EDIT: tonewoods are completely up to you. It's personal preference. Also, to the poster above. Gibsons are probably more overpriced than taylors or martins. I do believe some guitars are really worth the money though.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
1. if any guitar out there in the market overpriced its taylor sure they make good guitars but once you fork up 2000$ dollars evrything else is mediocre.
I dont believe martin to be overpriced at all if you ask me where else are you ganna find an all american guitar for that amount and tone for 1000 bucks, answear nowhere. honestly i cant find any taylor around 1000$, 1500$ or 1800$ thats plays as good a martin 16.

2. mostly what your looking for is just an all solid wood guitar, solid woods to acoustics is like what tubes are to amps, it generally results in bettor tone, and bettor sound overall.
most of the cheaper guitars are made of laminates i dont want to get into why laminates sound crappy because i dont know the physics of it but a laminate guitar usually results in a bad guitar, but there are some exceptions like takamine and seagull that make really outstanding laminate, but in general most sound bad. Also the tone woods play a major role you got all these difrent woods for back and sides rosewood , mahog, sapele, maple, koa, and you could just go on and on with difrent tone woods for back and sides but whats chief in all is the top. in order to have a descent guitar you need atleast a solid top wether it be a sitka pruce, ceday, or mahogany in some cases many companies like takamine or seagull manage to make good guitars by just getting good solid tops and just using laminates for back and sides.

3.what captive said

4.i guese the difrence is just the shape diffrent shapes are used to produce diffrent voicings.
A dread not is more likely to be bettor for strumming while a guitar like an OM would be bettor for finger picking, not that one cant do what the other does alright but one may do it bettor than the other.

dreadnought
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-D28-1935-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=514690

OM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-OM21-Special-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=513365
thanks a bunch for advice guys

i took a friend with me to check the guitars we played a bunch of guitar for 4 hours

i played a few martins i thought they were good but the problem with most of them they lacked a cutaway which was something i really wanted

the guitar i ended up buying was a taylor 314ce cost me almost an arm and a testicle
the one i really wanted was a taylor t5 my friend played it and i played it that guitar had the sweetest action he plugged in to an amp and he played benighted by opeth i swear when he played that piece it sounded just like the cd recording if not even better but i dint end up buying it because unplugged the sound was not that great and i wanted a guitar i could play for people unplugged

so the best option was the 314ce had a cutaway it was nice the tone was killer the action was great not as good as the t5 but still amazing

i got only a few more questions how do you take care of this guitars?

i know the basic things like cleaning the fretboard but i have no idea about this humidifier thing and i dont even know if i need it like heres some info regarding the climate of ft lauderdale

Fort Lauderdale has a humid subtropical climate
got it from this site
http://wikitravel.org/en/Ft._Lauderdale
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Congrats on the guitar,
on the humid thing....ive never heard anything about it
i usually lay my guitars around my room in no particular
place.

The only bad thing that ever happened was i left my
fender in the car when it was 93 outside and it sat there
in the carr two days, it melted. =')
Guitars
------------------

Epiphone SG w/seymour duncan JB's

Hagstrom Super Swede

Amp
-----------------

Traynor YCV50 BLUE

Pedals
------------------

Line 6 DL-4

Boss TU-2
Quote by stefan1988

i know the basic things like cleaning the fretboard but i have no idea about this humidifier thing and i dont even know if i need it like heres some info regarding the climate of ft lauderdale

You should buy an instrument called a hygrometer, which measures the relative humidity. See what the humidity level is in the area where you keep your guitar. The prime range is between 45 and 55%. If its too low, you need to add moisture to the environment, if its too high you need to remove moisture.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
I think you should just spend ~$400 buying a seagull s6. with the money you saved, you can buy me one too!
Congrats on the guitar,
on the humid thing....ive never heard anything about it
i usually lay my guitars around my room in no particular
place.

you should research it

i saw a video where it showed you all the things humidity could do to your guitar there were cracks on the body i dont rember if it was too much humidity or lack of it and also the were a few parts that the body bend but it was a little hard to see since is a gradual thing

You should buy an instrument called a hygrometer, which measures the relative humidity. See what the humidity level is in the area where you keep your guitar. The prime range is between 45 and 55%. If its too low, you need to add moisture to the environment, if its too high you need to remove moisture.

my dad has one of those round clocks that tell you temperature and humidity
i dont know how exact is it but is around 60% is that good enough?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
^ Is that 60% inside your home or outside?

Because what matters is the humidity in the room where you usually keep your guitar.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
^ Is that 60% inside your home or outside?

Because what matters is the humidity in the room where you usually keep your guitar.

inside my home should i be picky about it and buy hygrometer to check humidity inside case?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff