My uncle keeps showing me this chord, xx212x and insists its a Adim6. The notes are the same as a C#m though. I know chords can have multiple names, anyone care for an explanation? What would the formula for a Dim6 chord even be?

Cheers.

P.S. Whatever it is it sounds pretty good with maj7 chords in the same key.
It's a C#m---C#/E (no3)---E6 (no5)---G#sus4/5+---G#sus4/5 (no5)....
all the same

EDIT: I don't actually know the formula for a dim6.. i just inputed the chord into Guitar Pro chord library and typed all the names it gave me
Last edited by Zeppelin_1223 at Jun 21, 2008,
Yeh, its C#m, no question. C#m/E if you wanna get technical. No idea how your uncle gets Adim6. If you add A as the root note it becomes an Amaj7.
I have never heard a chord referred to as a Dim6 chord.
Quote by tom183
C#m/E if you wanna get technical.

I wouldnt even call it that. That implies it has all the notes of a C#m chord, with the addition of a bass E.

However, C#m/E doesnt have a 3rd interval, therefore not technically making it a chord.
Been away, am back
Quote by Logz
I wouldnt even call it that. That implies it has all the notes of a C#m chord, with the addition of a bass E.

However, C#m/E doesnt have a 3rd interval, therefore not technically making it a chord.

Yeah, that's why I said C#/E (no3).. I think that relates to:
What he's playing is a C# Chord with the root of E, with no 3rd interval
You may want to buy your uncle one of those chord diagram books for his birthday or something
Heh its been a while since hes really played it for a day here and there. What would the formula for a Dim6 be?
Quote by beavers333
Heh its been a while since hes really played it for a day here and there. What would the formula for a Dim6 be?

1 b3 b5 6.
Way, way off.

It's either C#m or Amaj7.

Also, how can you say that C#m/E is impossible because of the lack of a third?
Last edited by CanCan at Jun 22, 2008,
Quote by CanCan
Way, way off.

It's either C#m or Amaj7.

Also, how can you say that C#m/E is impossible because of the lack of a third?

He's saying that "C#m/E" implies a full C#m with a bass of E, but since there's no E other than the bottom that you can't call the chord on top a C#m.