Later this year I want to buy a new guitar. I play every genre out there save country and rap, but my main style is progressive metal. The guitar I currently play is my own handbuilt Telecaster. I love the tone I get from that guitar through my Peavey amp, but I'd much rather have a super-comfortable guitar than a guitar with perfect tone, honestly. That is where my Tele is often lacking. So last Sunday I got the chance to play my friend's MIM Standard Strat. I played a couple of Dream Theater riffs and the guitar was so comfortable it practically played itself. I know Strats aren't usually associated with metal, but somehow it pulled it off perfectly. In fact, I like the playability of that Strat more than that of his $1600 Les Paul. So, with that in mind...

Before I played that Strat, I was looking at an OLP John Petrucci model, mostly because I love Petrucci's playing style, liked the availability of 24 frets, etc. Obviously this guitar would be pretty subpar compared to the Fender, but they are really two completely different animals. So, my question is, should I try and score a used MIM Strat and get the versatility and playability, or go with the tried and true metal guitar? FYI, I have a price range of nothing more than $350 (meaning I will definitely be looking in the used market), and the reason Ibanez is not in my list of ideas is because I want a whammy bar but I have NO intention whatsoever of getting a guitar with a Floyd, as I often tune down to C-standard or Drop-D or whatever on the spot. Thanks in advance!
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Anyone?
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden