Page 1 of 2
i was recently talking to another guitarist when he told me he had just moddod his les paul with the the jimmy page mod. after doing some research, i found out it was a setup where the volume pots are in/ot of phase switchers for each pickup ,and the tone pots are coils taps for each pick up. he said the only thing that was needed of the humbuckers was that they have a 4 wires. after taking my guitat apart, i found that i had the necessary wires.

i asked the guy how much is costed and he said he did it himself. i dont have the necessary skills to pull of this kind of procedure. couls anyone tell me, including labour and parts (pots, wires, etc), how much this would cost?

EDIT: oh, i forgot to add. i am felt handed, so do companies make lefty push/pull pots?
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Jun 21, 2008,
I dunno about labour.. but pots are 2-3 dollars each or so.. and wires are very cheap, that's all you need.

But it's just soldering... you could do it yourself, it's really easy
Chances are, a local guitar store will charge you between $15-40 to do the job for you (greedy bastards...)
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Here, it's the wiring diagram for Page's setup, and another diagram, depending what pickups you have (different wire codes). If you want it done for you, print these off and show them to whoever is doing it for you:

Last edited by Zeppelin_1223 at Jun 21, 2008,
Quote by Shinozoku
Chances are, a local guitar store will charge you between $15-40 to do the job for you (greedy bastards...)
1 - if you can get store to do the job for $15, jump at the chance.
i wouldn't bother to take in any job for less than $50.
not worth the time, space, or bother.

2 - greedy bastard? pfft! quit being a whiny bastard.
the world is not your mama.
they owe you nothing.
don't like the prices?
do it yourself,
or even do it for others and compete with the stores by doing it at a lower price.

3 - prices are set by the market.
set them too low, and you can't pay the rent, electricity, taxes, employees' wages, etc.
you'll be out of business before you even get started.
set the prices too high, and no one will pay.
or others will come along and price lower, diverting business that could be yours.

On Topic:

google "John Hewitt" "Jimmy Page"
Hewitt has a design for this kind of mod that's far superior to the SD version.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Zeppelin_1223
I dunno about labour.. but pots are 2-3 dollars each or so.. and wires are very cheap, that's all you need.

But it's just soldering... you could do it yourself, it's really easy

I've yet to see push/pull pots for that cheap. Please tell us where you're shopping. To do the Jimmy Page mod i can't see them charging less than $60-$75. I mean we're talking 4 pots and all that wiring. I'd say $ 60 would be cheap for all that.
Push pulls are generally 10 bucks a piece and you would need 4 so at 50 bucks at a shop that would be a whole 10 bucks in labor. Expect to pay more for pots and labor. Not all pot shafts are the same size so the holes may need to be enlarged etc. So have your friend do it and show you how to do it or take the time to learn to do it yourself. Its always good to know how to fix your own stuff.
Quote by RicardoB
I've yet to see push/pull pots for that cheap. Please tell us where you're shopping. To do the Jimmy Page mod i can't see them charging less than $60-$75. I mean we're talking 4 pots and all that wiring. I'd say $ 60 would be cheap for all that.

Quote by Tackleberry
Push pulls are generally 10 bucks a piece and you would need 4 so at 50 bucks at a shop that would be a whole 10 bucks in labor. Expect to pay more for pots and labor. Not all pot shafts are the same size so the holes may need to be enlarged etc. So have your friend do it and show you how to do it or take the time to learn to do it yourself. Its always good to know how to fix your own stuff.

Oh ****. I priced in regular pots, not push/pull, my bad
Add lefty push-pulls... and you're talking much more than ten bucks a piece. And really, people will rip you off, do it yourself. That may sound easy to say from me, but it really is much easier than it may seem.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Is there really such a thing as a lefty pot? I thought you could always just reverse the 2 outer lugs. The only problem I see with that is with log pots. I apologize if that was a really retarded question.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
they make lefty pots?????
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Yes epi for some reason decided to use em in their lefty guitars. Their not lefty pots but reverse taper I think. Both my epis had em problem is nobody but epi makes lefty knobs. So way better off putting regular pots in it. Alot easier to find parts for that way.
Most techs would charge you $70-80 to do that.
Just a thought, however:
Don't do it. It deadens the normal tone, it introduces wiring headaches that introduce noise and unnecessary complexity, and Pagey never even used it until years after zeppelin was over. I had it, and some other variations on it, in two of my guitars and it never worked out. It doesn't sound like Jimmy Page, it sounds like a bad strat. If you want to spend $60 on your guitar, get some CTS pots and new caps and a soldering iron, and spend a few hours wiring it different ways to get the sound you want.
I've had some luck with parallel wiring for the coils, and sometimes phase can be fun, but four push/pulls for all that stuff? I'd think twice.
Quote by a4lrocker
Is there really such a thing as a lefty pot? I thought you could always just reverse the 2 outer lugs. The only problem I see with that is with log pots. I apologize if that was a really retarded question.

yes, they do make lefty and righty pots. they just reverse the way that they roll. for example, on the les paul studios, they have righty pots on all of them (including lefties). so when i roll the volumeclockwise, when the volume should usually be full, the volume decreases.
Quote by asfastasdark
Add lefty push-pulls... and you're talking much more than ten bucks a piece. And really, people will rip you off, do it yourself. That may sound easy to say from me, but it really is much easier than it may seem.

yeah, i thought it would be easy too, until the guy opened up his LP. it looked like a snake nest. there were so many wires, i couldn't even see the pots. i had a hard enough time trying to rewire my strat!
Quote by rocabillyrollup
ask him to do it?

i would, but i only saw him for a day. he lives in the next province, so i can't really ask him to do it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
There's no such thing as lefty push pulls, or lefty pots. You don't buy pots that decrease when rolled in the opposite direction - You just wire them differently!

Sheesh.

Series/parallel wiring ftw. Coil splits are overrated.

nah. i actually asked about that. They do make lefty and righty pots. i tried to wire the knobs on my dads strat lefty when i play it upside down ,is does nto work. you have to buy lefty pots.
^Thats what i thougt azrael.

I accidentally wired a pot backwards once, you just reverse the lug thats grounded and the input lug.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
Last edited by walker-rose at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by Jhachey22
nah. i actually asked about that. They do make lefty and righty pots. i tried to wire the knobs on my dads strat lefty when i play it upside down ,is does nto work. you have to buy lefty pots.

Wrong.
Trust me.

That's not how pots work. I know because I've wired pots/guitars for left handed people.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jun 23, 2008,
well whatever i did, the pot worked backwards.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
Quote by walker-rose
^Thats what i thougt azrael.

I accidentally wired a pot backwards once, you just reverse the lug thats grounded and the input lug.

Right!

Quote by walker-rose
well whatever i did, the pot worked backwards.

Oh, your post wasn't there when I made mine, sir! I agree with you. Allow me to edit my first post.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Right!

Oh, your post wasn't there when I made mine, sir! I agree with you. Allow me to edit my first post.

ah, so being a lefty shouldn't add to the price?
I have the JP wiring on my LP.

The diagram on the Seymour Duncan site (posted in this thread) DOES NOT WORK. I tried it and it didn't work and I brought it to a tech and he couldn't get it to work either. I did find the correct diagram, based on the Gibson schematic.

http://www.neighborhost.com/images/Jimmy_Page/JP_wiring.png - -that one works. I'm using it and I love it.
there is a diagram in an issue of guitar player (the one with slash on the cover). is that one good?
Quote by Jhachey22
there is a diagram in an issue of guitar player (the one with slash on the cover). is that one good?

I have that issue - it's the same diagram that is posted here from the SD site. My tech (who builds amps) and I both had trouble with it.

We ended up using the diagram that is based on the schematic available at gibson.com - that is used in the Jimmy Page LP.

http://www.neighborhost.com/images/Jimmy_Page/JP_wiring.png
well ,thnks for all your help, gang. i'll be going i to the shop tomorrow for quotes. i'm also gonna take a couple of diagrams to get his opinion on it.
Cheers!
Does anyone know if you can change 2 conductor pickups to 4 for the wiring mod ? I wanted to use A burstbucker 2 and 3 for a vintage tone.
^
I never thought that was possible.. hm, you never know. I wanna see what everyone else has to say
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Your tech sucks. The SD will work. It's not the best way to wire it, but there's nothing wrong with it.

WHY ISN'T THE SD DIAGRAM THE BEST WAY?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Quote by CutlassSupreme
WHY ISN'T THE SD DIAGRAM THE BEST WAY?
there are several reasons, the most important being: if you have your pickups switch in the Bridge position and pull the neck tone to put the pickups in series, your sound goes DEAD. no sound, just hum. if you put the pickups in series using SD wiring, your selector must be in the neck or neck+bridge position.

little surprises like that are a pain in the ass, on stage.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Page 1 of 2