Page 1 of 3
In a couple of days I'll be buying a guitar and I haven't made up my mind yet. I like the Dean Razorback and the ML but I also like the Jackson Randy Rhoads. By the way I only have money for the NOT USA Razorbacks, I like Pantera but I also like melodeath and some RR too. The models I have in mind the RR1 and the Explosion Razorback. It's by internet so I can't test the guitars.
"We may be human... But we're still animals."
"Walking the fine line between Pagan and Christian."
Last edited by HolyWarsVZLA at Jun 21, 2008,
razorback its more bad ass
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
whichever one feels better to you. but if it was me choosing i'd take the RR.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
if you get a Razorback... modify it or something, just don't leave it stock

The RR1 on the other hand is a piece of craftsmanship

get it.
I would really like an opinion about the sound. :S
RR for the win. Razorback is an overpriced piece of junk IMO.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
If you are spending that sort of money on a guitar you really want to try it out 1st. that Razorback is like £900, you're gonna be pretty pissed if it doesnt play like you imagened it would.
I saved like 2600 dollars, I would get the USA Razorback if I could xD.
Don't get the Razorback, they're awful!
Sound way too bassy & muddy.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by ryanph2421
neither. IBANEZ.end of story

Look, this is what i ment in the Ibanez thread.

I pee on you. You're like what? 12? 13?

On topic: Go for the Jackson man. The razorback lives in the shadow of the RR.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
My friend has a USA Dean Razorback, the Rebel model one. It's decent quality, but sure as **** not worth the $950 paid for it. The neck is a little too big and it cramps my hand up. The stock pickups are not that good either. As another poster said, it's pretty muddy and just overall way overrated/priced. It doesn't respond that well at all to tapping and even pinch harmonics are pretty hard to get out of it. The only positive thing about his guitar is the palm mutes...

His beat up ass Peavey Predator plays, and IMO, sounds better.

I'd definitely go for the RR.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
I was thinking about the Dean Explosion Razorback, does it sucks too? :S. Remember I'm buying by internet cuz in my country dont sell that kind of guitars, just pieces of ****.
A RR1...
Versus a Razorback?

Now, if you said, "An RR1 or USA made Soloist?" or "Hmmm... RR1 or an Ibanez JEM?" That would be a different story. But Razorbacks are lame, IMO. Jackson RR1s are top notch quality.
Quote by NowhereOutThere
A RR1...
Versus a Razorback?

Now, if you said, "An RR1 or USA made Soloist?" or "Hmmm... RR1 or an Ibanez JEM?" That would be a different story. But Razorbacks are lame, IMO. Jackson RR1s are top notch quality.

You'd like egg and bacon, or pile of dung for your breakfast?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
RR1 FTW! razorbacks are over priced.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
The RR1 is warm and huge sounding, with excellent response to pinch harmonics. The Dean literally sounds like a trash can because of how awful the pickups are.
Quote by HolyWarsVZLA
I was thinking about the Dean Explosion Razorback, does it sucks too? :S. Remember I'm buying by internet cuz in my country dont sell that kind of guitars, just pieces of ****.

dude, it's an amazing guitar, i got [it 4 days ago.
****in buy it now.
it's great dont listen to some people who say it's crap
but rr1 is also very good.
(id choose the razorback, well i did)
Jackson, because the Dean looks and plays shit.

But if you get one, you can plays liakk t3h Dim3z Lolooll!!!1!!11!!1one
Quote by Tom_hatton
Jackson, because the Dean looks and plays shit.

But if you get one, you can plays liakk t3h Dim3z Lolooll!!!1!!11!!1one

looks and plays amazing*
Quote by Tom_hatton
No.

yes*
dude, you have to own it to know, if you play it or hear it once and don't have the time to seriously tune it and get the nice sound out of it you wont know.
Quote by Tom_hatton
No.

QTF. All Razorbacks (ones I've played anyways) have horrendously thick, V- style necks (I mean, a thick neck with a good feel to it isn't terrible, like a Schecter or Gibson, but the neck on it is too much), lame body shape (BC Rich on steroids), and pickups that make your guitar sound like it's being played through an MG.
Quote by deanexplosion99
yes*
dude, you have to own it to know, if you play it or hear it once and don't have the time to seriously tune it and get the nice sound out of it you wont know.

You have to play more than 1 guitar till you can say if its good or not...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by deanexplosion99
yes*

I have to own a guitar to know whether its any good or not? Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I played a Razorback a while ago.

1. It looks stupid
2. Its not comfortable sitting down
3. It was rediculously overpriced
4. The neck was horribly thick
5. Some Dimebag fanboy had tried to drop tune it and failed
6. The stock pickups sounded like crap (I was playing through an Engl, so don't even think about it)
7. And you look like a douchebag/fanboy if you play one
A Dean From Hell is a different story, actually. Another buddy of mine has one with a Bill Lawrence L500XL and a Pearly Gates combo and has the 12-22 frets scalloped. That actually sounds damn good, though it's still not that comfortable to play.

But damn that dude can crack your face open when you hear him...

Still, as I said earlier, RR > Razorback.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by NowhereOutThere
QTF. All Razorbacks (ones I've played anyways) have horrendously thick, V- style necks (I mean, a thick neck with a good feel to it isn't terrible, like a Schecter or Gibson, but the neck on it is too much), lame body shape (BC Rich on steroids), and pickups that make your guitar sound like it's being played through an MG.

..... Razorbacks have C. The DFH Dimebag signature has a V neck. I played a stopbar tailpiece Razorback the other day and it will be the next guitar I get. It felt great to me. Those people who say they play like crap just don't like the feel so they say it will feel like crap to EVERYONE. Tone is subjective as well. They are overpriced though. 900$ for an amazing guitar that comes with bad pickups? Thats not cool =( But the higher end ones are nice. Those who say they sound horrible probably used a bad amp or EQed wrong, or don't like it heavy. I was playing Walk, Shout at the Devil, all kinds of stuff and it sounded great. I LOVE the way it felt. I liked the way it sounded. I want one.

My friend has an RR3. Said its amazing.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Last edited by Pinky19 at Jun 21, 2008,
Quote by Tom_hatton
I have to own a guitar to know whether its any good or not? Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I played a Razorback a while ago.

1. It looks stupid
6. The stock pickups sounded like crap (I was playing through an Engl, so don't even think about it)

QFF, quoted for fail.
1) Looks are subjective. I think it looks awesome. I think telecasters look horrible. My friend loves it.
2) Agreed at first, but after 10mins you get used to it.
3) It is overpriced. That much and not a single great pickup.
4) It wasn't that thick.... It was comfortable. Less than a Les Paul in thickness.
5) I'm pretty sure more than just Dime fans play in dropped tunings. And in Pantera he usually didn't go that far down.
6) Already agreed, but they are not that bad.
7) And anyone with long hair looks like a hippie. Anyone with short hair is a douchebag. Those statements are not true, and neither is yours.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
RR all the way, the razorback just lacks something, its just meh nothing special imo and i always consider them very overpriced for the quality and hardware.
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Unless you are getting pro gear Dean I wouldn't suggest the Dean. Id suggest the RR. Its much better quality in my opinion.
Quote by Pinky19
QFF, quoted for fail.
1) Looks are subjective. I think it looks awesome. I think telecasters look horrible. My friend loves it.
2) Agreed at first, but after 10mins you get used to it.
3) It is overpriced. That much and not a single great pickup.
4) It wasn't that thick.... It was comfortable. Less than a Les Paul in thickness.
5) I'm pretty sure more than just Dime fans play in dropped tunings. And in Pantera he usually didn't go that far down.
6) Already agreed, but they are not that bad.
7) And anyone with long hair looks like a hippie. Anyone with short hair is a douchebag. Those statements are not true, and neither is yours.

1. OK.
2. I don't agree, but OK.
3. Glad you agree.
4. I didn't think it was comfortable. Maybe its cos I'm used to playing Ibanez?
5. Only a 13 year old Dime wannabe would pick up the damn thing IMO. And noobs know better than to down-tune a floyd.
6. True, I suppose you can change pickups if need be.
7. Anyone playing a razorback looks like a Dime wannabe IMO.
I'm personally a huge Dean fan (Current member of the Dean Street Team), but that fact being aside the Razorback is an overpriced guitar. However it still is a shredding machine. I have a 2 tone Razorback and I love that thing to death. Also ironically enough I have owned a RR1 at one point. The RR1 is a great guitar too with nice craftsmanship, but for all out shredding I prefer the Razorback

Now I wanna get something straight to the people dissin on the Razorback

1. It looks stupid
---- Depends on what style you play. Yes playing country with a Razorback would look stupid, but then again so would a RR1

--- Have you ever played a RR1 sitting down??? The only thing uncomfortable about playing a Razorback is trying to play behind your head because there's a point that digs into your neck. It's actually very well balanced standing up, very unlike the RR1

---- I agree with this one. At the price you should at least get a OFR and not a licensed

--- Yes it's not going to a be a Wizard II neck, but it's a very comfortable neck with the V shape. Your hand sits perfectly on the neck to do some crazy ass ****. All set neck Deans have a V shape. Well, most do. Also my hand doesn't hurt after playing a set with the V shape neck. The really really thin necks (Wizards and such) hurt my hands after a long gig

--- Terrible reason to hate something. 'Nuf said.

--- Yes, I'll think about it. The Dimebucker was reverse-engineered off the Bill Lawrence L500XL pickup (the ones built by Bucky at billlawrence.com, not the cheap knock-offs over at billlawrenceusa.com) which is an amazing pickup for METAL. Nothing else, just straight metal. Instead of using individual pole pieces they both use rails, which boosts output tremendously. They sound terrible through a tube amp because they were made for high-gain solid state amps like Randall. Also since rails are something (Relatively) new in pickup design, current amps aren't made to play with such a pickup design. You actually have to change your amp settings for once to play with these pickups.

---- No you don't. I guess you look like a douchebag/fanboy for playing an SG (Angus Young) a double neck (Jimmy Page) or an old beat up acoustic (Willie Nelson)? I can't say I've ever looked at someone playing an Ibanez Universe or JEM series and thought "Wow, this guy's a douchebag/fanboy for playing a guitar designed by Steve Vai"

Sry for chewing your ass out, but I had to make a stand for Dean
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
OK, I'm not going to take every point and argue it because I can't be bothered. Most of the things I said were in my opinion, therefore you can debate them. But I haven't changed view on anything, I still believe they're generally very average guitars (the lower end ones are piss-poor).

I'll comment about what you said on the subject of the pickups though. You said they're designed for high gain solid state amps right? Well, how many advanced metal players have SS amps? Not many I think you'll find.

Plus, who used metal SS amps? Dimebag, wasnt it? Therefore the pickup was designed for people who wanted to play the same type of music and use the same amps as Dime- wannabes. Like it or not, Dean aim these Razorbacks at little noobs who walk around saying 'RIP DIME LOL' to everyone and can't even name the other members of Pantera. Dean go around raping Dimes name for money, thats blatant.
Since when did Dimebag become god among guitarists?

Seriously, i dont think its the right thing to do unless you can try them out first. You can get the sound by YouTube if your lucky, but you cant feel it unless its in your hands. If you dont like it standing up or sitting down, you've got a $1200 paperweight lying around.

Try them out, if you cant, pick which one you think you'll like best because chances are even when you've got one, you'll be wishing you had the other.
My metal is more br00t4lz than yours

Gear:
Squier Strat
ESP B-10 Bass
Peavey Backstage
Page 1 of 3