I believe I read somewhere on here about using 2 amps for a bass one of them say running a distortion effect and one of them clean, how exactly would something like this be set up and how would it sound?
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
SKAK20BA Practice Bass Amp
Biamping is common for people who either want their highs and lows to sound very different, or who use a lot of effects, and want to keep a clean signal on at all times to maintain the bass register, which can be lost in effects.

However, most of the time, as long as you have bass pedals, there is no need.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I used to do it before I got my awesome 2 channel head.

First thing, you do not need a loud amp for your highs. I literally used a 100W bass and a 30W treble and my treble amp most of the time overpowered my bass amp! Thats because you only need the headroom for the quieter bass frequencies!

Second thing, remember that some effects like chorus sound best going through both amps. So you will want a few effects before whatever splitter you choose.

You can use guitar effects on bass! Hell, sometimes it sounds really damn neat! (Big Muff Pi anyone?)

When EQing your two heads, I'd recommend getting the mid frequencies to overlap between the two! This can make some very VERY interesting sounds!

If you are going to play at a show, and the guy wants to get a DI, I'd suggest getting a small cheap mixer for your bass rig.
Well I had the idea of getting a 1x15 ashdown combo I was planning on an cab to add to my current rig but with a combo I would have something that would be easier to carry around if I couldn't transport my 4x10.

Is this a good idea?
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
Whell it depends. Your sound will sound a hell of a lot different with a combo than with another cab.

Whell unless the combo has a speaker out and your willing to take that AND your 4x10 with you, it will sound a lot different.
Would I be better off just get a 1x15 cab then would you say?
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
u have a fender jaguar and an ashdown MAG, u can do whatever the hell u like.... but yes that sounds like a decent idea
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Most effect pedals have a bypass output. I bought a Behringer tuner just for that option.
Governor of the Jersey Rocks group
PM me to join