well as some may remember my blackheart little giant had some problems a few weeks ago. i would be playing for about an hour or more and then all of a sudden it'd fade out with volume and the LED light would fade out also. after waiting a couple minutes i could turn it back on and it would play for a min or two and then fade out again. almost like turning it off was charging it for it's next play time- not that that's how it works but that's what it seemed like.

so i thought it was the receptacle, played it through surge protector and it did the same thing. did it at the church and did the same thing.

so then i thought, ok maybe it's a power tube problem. WRONG again. changed the power tube to a JJ and preamp to a Tung-sol. it did the same thing after an hour of playing at the church again.

luckily, though, it's not even a couple months old and still in warranty. so i take it to the shop, explain the problem, and they're like 'ok we'll test it and call you monday when we know what the problem is'. and then i say, "this is all covered under warranty right? no money coming out of my pocket?" and he replies with, "well we hope so."

FREEZE FRAME. i didn't do a THING to it to cause this. i told him i changed the tubes and he goes, 'well that may void the warranty.' and i told him that changing the tubes is bound to happen sooner or later, so how in the world is that gonna void the warranty? and another worker comes up and says, "unless they're retubed w/ the same tubes it might be considered a void" and i'm just thinking to myself, why in the world would anyone retube w/ the same sh*tty stock chinese tubes?!

it's like these guys are looking for any reason to void the warranty and get money from me. i'm going to look through the manual and see what it says warranty-wise.

anyone who has had experience in this area, please shed some light!!!

what the F*CK is the point of a warranty when it doesn't guarantee that anything that isn't YOUR fault will be fixed free of charge?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
i just read the end of walls of text like this and..yeah..what?? is this just a rant??
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
Just replace the stock tubes and go back then there are different people working, they will give you a brand new one. Theres no way to tell you took the tubes out and put them back in.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
sounds ridiculous.

that's like saying you can't change strings on a guitar under warranty, or else it will void it.

stupid.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
it's like these guys are looking for any reason to void the warranty and get money from me.

Of course they are. That is the real world.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I'm surprised you weren't expecting them to say that.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Yes people try to screw you for money. Welcome to life. Put the old tubes in in and take it back when different people are working.
Quote by kckyle
lol if it was me i would've taken it back and get a new one as soon as i spot one tolex scratch.
That made absolutely no sense.
Quote by MrCarrot
That made absolutely no sense.

i meant you can forget about not working. i would return it if is only a minor scratch on the tolex or a loose knob
i know how shops work, but i didn't think that they could just sit there and say "well even though you have a warranty we're just gonna BS our way into your wallet" and me not have any way of preventing it.

and it's not possible to go while different people are working, they have the same people there each time. it's not a big chain store, it's a lil more of a privately owned store. Their blackhearts are on backorder for a month so its not like they'll just exchange it for me unless it happens to not void the warranty and when they get them in.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Maybe you should've read the warranty terms and conditions.

Or read them now to see if you can con them out of your money.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
it's not guaranteed that they'll void my warranty, but it definitely doesn't sound like they're going out of their way to make sure its covered. all my warranty stuff says is that if it's been altered, modified or abused. all that general stuff.

like the guy said about changing strings on a guitar voiding a warranty, that's a great analogy. it's a bogus claim to void a warranty for that reason. I haven't modified it one bit i only changed the tubes.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Well you should have but the old ones back in before you went back. If you want the warranty don't modify anything.
Yes you can change the strings on a guitar but change the gauge adjust the truss rod and guess what if the neck should break they will try to avoid replacing the guitar and blame you.

The warranty is for the item in stock factory condition so of course they don't want to replace if you have made changes.

On the other hand the tubes are consumable items. I would also guess that you would have a hard time getting a new tube under warranty if the one of the original tubes had failed for some reason.
Last edited by stujomo at Jun 21, 2008,
changing tubes should not be considered a void of warranty am i correct? i understand if i were to change the speaker, but the tubes...no one keeps the stock tubes in there. that seems more like setting people up to void their warranty automatically.

well i guess if they try voiding the warranty i won't really have a choice but to pay, the only thing i can do from there is decide to not do so much business with them anymore. The problem has nothing to do with the tubes, it's the amp itself.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
It's more the fact that you've opened it up and changed a part of the amp different to how it was, not the exemption of tubes itself.

You've really no case against it, unless you lie.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i know how shops work, but i didn't think that they could just sit there and say "well even though you have a warranty we're just gonna BS our way into your wallet" and me not have any way of preventing it.

and it's not possible to go while different people are working, they have the same people there each time. it's not a big chain store, it's a lil more of a privately owned store. Their blackhearts are on backorder for a month so its not like they'll just exchange it for me unless it happens to not void the warranty and when they get them in.

Then I would contact LOUD TECH directly. Their phone number should be in the back of the owner's manual. Don't tell them you changed tubes, just in case, and put the originals back in if they tell you to send it back to them. Also, if they want you to send it, tell them you want them to issue a "call tag." Don't ask, just tell them to.
Quote by Yngwi3
Of course they are. That is the real world.

agreed.

i always advise (and do the same myself) that if something is still under warranty that you should do NOTHING to attempt to fix it yourself. bring it straight back to the store, and let them fix it (or give you a refund/replacement).

That being said, this:

Quote by thefrigginbob
Just replace the stock tubes and go back then there are different people working, they will give you a brand new one. Theres no way to tell you took the tubes out and put them back in.

might be worth a try, if you haven't left it with them (it sounds like you have).

if you don't get a satisfactory resolution, what I would do is:

(a) immediately tell them to call you before repairing anything which will cost you money.
(b) go and get your amp.
(c) tell them that you're going to get it repaired elsewhere.
(d) tell them that unless they repair it free of charge that they've lost your custom for life, and that furthermore you will tell everyone you know (including on internet guitar forums) to avoid their shop as they failed miserably in customer service.
(e) finally tell them that you hope it was worth it to save $150 (or whatever the blackheart costs).

They may be technically correct in what they do in the eyes of the law; however, you're also allowed to shop where you like, and to tell others of shops which you recommend and those which you don't.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
(can't edit or computer will crash)

It might also be worth sending an email to blackheart to see what they say.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
slash rocks, that just plain sucks
bad luck
hope that never happens to me... lol
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
What store? GC, or samash?

EDIT: nvm its neither.
Last edited by esp1234 at Jun 21, 2008,
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) immediately tell them to call you before repairing anything which will cost you money.
(b) go and get your amp.
(c) tell them that you're going to get it repaired elsewhere.
(d) tell them that unless they repair it free of charge that they've lost your custom for life, and that furthermore you will tell everyone you know (including on internet guitar forums) to avoid their shop as they failed miserably in customer service.
(e) finally tell them that you hope it was worth it to save $150 (or whatever the blackheart costs).

They may be technically correct in what they do in the eyes of the law; however, you're also allowed to shop where you like, and to tell others of shops which you recommend and those which you don't.

I agree with these wholeheartedly, I was actually going to post a couple of them myself.

a) This is what they will hit you with next. Oh we repaired your amp, thats $200. Please don't fall for it.
b) Definitley the solution to ^.
c) Don't even tell them that, the less they know the better.
d) This is what might clinch it for you. Losing custom is the one thing the managers hate. Because of this, a few of the employees might start getting cold feet about conning you. Particularly if this is a smaller shop.
e) And that's the nail in the coffin^

And just for the record, I don't think that bringing it back now will work, particularly if you've left it with them, there will be paper records of them taking it in etc.

Good Luck!
^ good point about (c), you're right, it might be better not to tell them that.

The main thing is that you immediately want to phone them up to make sure they haven't fixed it and then tried to charge you money. Assuming they haven't, tell them not to. If they have, refuse to pay it since you didn't authorise the repair (at least, I assume you haven't if you have any wit).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Its business. They are in it to make money. So yea if they can find a way to void the warranty they will. If they fix it under warranty it costs them money. If they void it they come out ahead. And they probably could care less if your happy or not. Most shops and companies could care less if you buy something from them again. Bigger the place the less they care. Way they see it is you opened the amp and did who knows what, yes all you did was swap the tubes. But how many put the wrong tubes in, put em in backwards, short something while trying to do it etc etc. You would be really surprised at the things people will do and try to get it covered under warranty. Wasnt long ago there was a whole thread dedicated to how a person could screw up their amp to get a new one under warranty. So maybe it will all work out you get your amp fixed problem solved. Just dont be surprised if they say your SOL. But from now on if its under warranty and has any problem take it back get a new one.
uumm yeah...put the old tubes back in and start over.

i think it was Bartdevil who made the comment that dealers keep records but i don't know if they somehow report back to Blackheart that your amp was in or not. I hope not.

you may want to contact Blackheart directly and talk it thru with them as they may point you in a different direction. Maybe tell them you are willing to get a Blackheart tatoo or something.

also, the fact that you were having this fade in and out problem to begin with seems aweful strange especially now considering it was not the tubes to begin with.

again, maybe call Blackheart and tell them about the fading problem and ask them if new tubes would fix it and see what they say. First. then take the next steps.

and yeah, unfortunately, if you open the box it typically voids the warrenty no matter what. again, unfortunately as changing tubes is a fact of life.

sorry bro
Quote by Dave_Mc
(can't edit or computer will crash)

It might also be worth sending an email to blackheart to see what they say.

yeah, i've been having some serious crash issues with UG site lately despite broadband issues as other sites seem fine. maybe it is time for a server upgrade idk.

sorry - off topic.

SlashRocks - I PM'd you.
311zoso
thanks for the tips Dave.

but yea i made sure they will call me FIRST before TOUCHING it. well repairing anyways. These guys aren't the most unreasonable guys out there, it's just that they were so casual about it being voided and they know i am a dedicated customer there...that is what is keeping me somewhat positive on the fact that they will make sure it's covered. but you never know. like everyone has said, that's business and the real world. this would make the second awesome tube amp to become mine and then something screw up on it's own in less than a couple months....

i gotta drop my randall off in Raleigh in a couple months to get it fixed and im praying it's under warranty. i hadn't changed the tubes or ANYTHING in that, only two fuses.

oh and 311zoso, where i stated about altering the amp, modifying it, etc., that's the general idea of voiding the warranty. that and misuse of course. nowhere does it say you can't change the tubes.

uh thanks for all your support an all and just wish me luck with this and even MORE with the randall...as the randall is a much heftier price tag in general, who knows how much they'd charge to fix if it weren't under warranty.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
good luck bro

and the other thing i wanted to mention is that Shops get paid one way or the other. It's not like if they do warrently work they don't get paid. They just submit reimbursment back to Blackheart so if Blackheart says a tube change voids warrenty then your shop is just covering their a**.

later
yea i was just thinking about that, the shop doesn't have to screw me over just to get their money. but it would sure as hell be faster that way.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
maybe - but for all you know they are supposed to take pictures and stuff and document the fact that it hasn't been opened or modded.

what is the warrently anyway on a Blackheart?

If it is a year - i guess i could understand but if it was like 5 years, hell you know you are going to have to replace tubes after a year or two so does that mean you are supposed to take into a shop the get the exact same tubes put back in?

that holds true for all amps. let us know what the true problem is 'cause it still baffles me but i'm not an amp expert or technician but it would seem to have something to do with the power condenser/converter or whatever it is called.

your experience has got me wondering now what to do on tube change 'cause it doesn't make sense to pay a certified peavey tech to do it when i can do it myself which begs the question if a certified tech does it does it stay in warrenty?

idk
Quote by MrCarrot
It's more the fact that you've opened it up and changed a part of the amp different to how it was, not the exemption of tubes itself.

You've really no case against it, unless you lie.

Yeah. Slashrocks while changing tubes seems like changing guitar strings it is probably going to void the warranty because you didn't get a qualified guitar tech to do it.

All you can do now is put the stock tubes back in, and i recommend forgetting you ever switched the tubes out.
Well I don't know if it will help but on my amp (Peavey Valveking) I had two seperate warranties, one for the amp and one for the valves. The amp was three years, the valves 30 days. Surely that type of warranty specifies you CAN change them if needed? I had my power valves changed the other day by a tech (yeah I thought that the amp was cathode biased; thanks HC) and he was talking about sending it back to Peavey for this minor hum problem (which I didn't care about really). So it doesn't seem (with my amp at least) that changing the valves voids the warranty.

My point is that is there not a seperate warranty on the valves in your amp?
It very well may void the warrenty.

The Bugera's warranties are voided if you change the tubes yourself and don't have a Behringer tech do it. Stupid, I know, so maybe Blackheart is the same.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 22, 2008,