What part of the song do you solo over? For example, i'm learning Autumn Leaves right now because i'm just getting into jazz (i barely know enough theory to think i can play a jazz standard) but i don't know what part to repeat or what for soloing.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Depends on which genre of jazz.
Dixieland would be like: one instrument plays the main melody and than improvises using that main melody, than another instrument and so on. Swing would be like: instruments would improvise inbetween melody gaps as fills. Bebop/modal jazz would be like: the main melody plays once through and than all the instruments solo and than the melody plays again. And fusion would be organised like a rock song.
The main form for soloists is based in the bebop tradition: head, solo, head. On a blues, you play the head twice before you solo. Almost all the tunes are AABA or blues.

But on autumn leaves, the whole thing, after you've played the melody once. Once the soloists are done, play the melody again.
Sweet. Thanks demon.

Edit: and thank you Nick_
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Nick_
The main form for soloists is based in the bebop tradition: head, solo, head. On a blues, you play the head twice before you solo. Almost all the tunes are AABA or blues.

But on autumn leaves, the whole thing, after you've played the melody once. Once the soloists are done, play the melody again.

For goodness sake your statement concerning playing the head of a blues twice is not some goddamn hard and fast rule. There are more than enough recordings where they'd play the head once.

The basic bebop style statement he made is correct though, head, solo, head. Make variations on that as you see fit.

Sometimes I get the feeling people here talk out of their ass just to hear themselves talk.
Quote by Guitar_Theory
Sometimes I get the feeling people here talk out of their ass just to hear themselves talk.
Butt howw cunn we haear posts?