if you do a butterfly vibrato vs. a vibrato where you wiggle finger to move it up and down, do you get a different sound out of it? What type of vibrato is appropriate for wide vibratos?
Normally, those two types of vibrato are called classical and rock. Classical being when you wiggle your finger as violinists do, and rock when you move the string up and down.

I personally think that in order to achieve a wider vibrato the "rock vibrato" is much more appropriate, as you can actually bend the string several semi-tones up in pitch. The same pitch difference would be very hard to get from a "classical vibrato".

Still, I must admit that I much prefer the classical vibrato as it sits under my fingers much better, and to me sounds better.
Last edited by mr_magic at Jun 21, 2008,
Quote by mr_magic
Normally, those two types of vibrato are called classical and rock. Classical being when you wiggle your finger as violinists do, and rock when you move the string up and down.

I personally think that in order to achieve a wider vibrato the "rock vibrato" is much more appropriate, as you can actually bend the string several semi-tones up in pitch. The same pitch difference would be very hard to get from a "classical vibrato".

Still, I must admit that I much prefer the classical vibrato as it sits under my fingers much better, and to me sounds better.

i dont mean the vibrato where you move up and down vertically on the strings, i mean a vibrato where you bend the strings rapidly but have the hand in grasping posistion and obviously a butterfly vibrato is when you flare out your hand like a butterfly.