ive been playing guitar for about 2 weeks now and i feel im stuck,
i can play G,D,C chords but i cant switch to them fast or play them clearly everytime

i dont want to get frustrated and quit..so im basicly asking if 2/3 weeks is a long time to not be playing those chords well yet or if its usual to still feel sucky after a few weeks

this is my first post here,
thank you
Practice, practice, practice. It's true when they say that the amount that you put in, you get back out. Don't worry about trying to play fast. Right now is all about making sure you have the right technique. If you're worried about technique, just look around online for some tutorial videos. Just remember: slow, steady and accurate leads to great, fast playing.
Hey man, just keep practicing. I don't think I learned how to fluently change chords until...6 or 7 months But that's me, I had no real practice schedule and no teaching. So basically, I would get a teacher to help you out, and you start slow, don't rush yourself, and definitely don't get frustrated and quit. Hell, to memorize those three chords it took me about a month.

Just memorize as many chords as you can, and practice practice practice changing them. Once your hands memorize the chord shapes, it'll be really easy to switch back and forth.
at least u figured out how to post here. i think everyone learns at their own speed and u getting a little frustrated shows that u at least want to improve and im sure everyone on here will just tell u to keep practicing. the whole guitar thing is just having ur fingers get used to it and in a way memorize what they should do, so the more practice the better.
thanks for the fast respones fellas, i will not give up

i was curious if some others went through the same frustrations

i have looked and learned some stuff from youtube

also, how do i tell for sure that im playing the (right) handed guitar, i am left handed but i have a right handed guitar..should i be learning on left hand guitar?
try timing you self so you can see improvement
do 2 at a time like G to B over and over then move to A and C ... ect
make sure they sound clear each time you strum them

Quote by perplehaze

also, how do i tell for sure that im playing the (right) handed guitar, i am left handed but i have a right handed guitar..should i be learning on left hand guitar?

Did you change the string order/reverse the guitar/ or playing it like a righty but your lefty?

i dont think it would matter just do what feels good for you

fun fact Will Farrel learn to play a righty guitar for the movie Stranger Than Fiction him being a lefty

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Last edited by Nagashiro at Jun 21, 2008,
Oh hell dude, i definetly couldn't play those chords with just 2/3 weeks. It takes a long time to be able to transtition between them. The hardest part i think is making sure all the notes ring out clearly (you fretting fingers tend to bump into the strings so they get muted).

Keep your head up man. I know exactly what it's like but i kept with it and now i've been playing for 4 years and i love it.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by perplehaze
i can play G,D,C chords but i cant switch to them fast or play them clearly everytime

i dont want to get frustrated and quit..so im basicly asking if 2/3 weeks is a long time to not be playing those chords well yet or if its usual to still feel sucky after a few weeks

thank you

2-3 weeks is nothing, it'll be a good couple of months before the guitar starts to feel like anything other than a stupid plank of wood in your hands.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah, switching the chords fast enough is one of the hardest things to learn to do. I remember the hardest change for me was G to A. I think it took me about 3 months to be able to play it fairly cleanly, but not fast at all.

And don't worry about the whole lefty/righty thing. Just do what you think is comfortable. Although even being right handed, a righty guitar still felt akward!
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by perplehaze

If you were going to play air guitar, which way would you do it? Would you hold your hands like the way you're actually playing the guitar, or would you hold your hands the opposite way? Basically, whichever way feels more naturally comfortable is the way you should be playing.

You can force yourself to learn backwards, but it'll definitely be uncomfortable and a slower process. In my opinion you'd never really reach your full potential either (which isn't to say you won't be great, but it could mean the difference between great and incredible).

Many left handed players playing right handed will argue that it's better since their dominant hand is doing the fretwork. This is a load of crap, because were it true, right handed players would be playing left handed guitars

So if you think you'd be more comfortable playing left handed, play a lefty guitar, or pull a Hendrix and flip the strings. It would mean that you'd have to start everything all over again, but hey, two weeks is a lot better than figuring it out in 2 months, or two years right?

Also, about your progress. It's fine, and fairly normal. The first couple of months can be really brutal, but after that thing's really start to smooth out and become much less frustrating.
i never found it extreamly hard, barre cords are harder to get everything to ring right the first time but with practice you will master them I started counting hopw long i been playing after i learn the basic chords :P

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
my teacher taught me this trick when i started playing to help out with chords. when playing them put each finger on the strings from left to right(ceiling to floor, 6th string to 1st however you want to say it) it is a more natural feeling when playing chords.
thanks so much for the replies guys,

i air guitar with a righty so i suppose i made the right choice as it does feel more natural

thanks again for welcoming me to UG with some positive comments!

i will keep at it
Quote by perplehaze
No. Guitar is completely different than writing, throwing a baseball, and whatever else you use your hands for in normal life. It's a completely new skill to develop. If you play right handed, you'll be able to play normal guitars, not special, left-handed guitars. It's just a whole lot easier to play right handed.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
No. Guitar is completely different than writing, throwing a baseball, and whatever else you use your hands for in normal life. It's a completely new skill to develop. If you play right handed, you'll be able to play normal guitars, not special, left-handed guitars. It's just a whole lot easier to play right handed.

Why do you think it easier?
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Quote by radiantmoon
Why do you think it easier?
There are more options for righty guitars and you can play your friends' instruments and they can play your's.

I don't see how it offers any technical advantage, but it doesn't offer any technical disadvantages either.
Quote by perplehaze

thank you

It takes more than 2 or 3 weeks to get good. Be patient, keep practicing.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by bangoodcharlote
There are more options for righty guitars and you can play your friends' instruments and they can play your's.

I don't see how it offers any technical advantage, but it doesn't offer any technical disadvantages either.

So if what your saying is right, that must mean that a right handed player should be able to play left handed with no disadvantage.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Quote by radiantmoon
So if what your saying is right, that must mean that a right handed player should be able to play left handed with no disadvantage.
I think you would progress at the same rate either way.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I think you would progress at the same rate either way.

There are a lot of roadblocks further down the road though.

The dominant side of our body is the one that naturally keeps track of rhythm. We tap our foot along to music with the dominant side of our body. Our picking hand in most cases is what's keeping to the rhythm while playing a guitar, and having your off hand doing it instead would definitely cause some strange problems, and I've known a few leftys playing righties who've had trouble keeping time, even after playing for many years.

Us lefties are strange creatures though, most lefties including myself actually find that some thing's are more comfortable to do right handed. That seems to be the case here. Your body will naturally tell you which way it wants to do something, and that is the way you should be doing it.

But yeah, it does suck trying to find guitars. We're stuck with the super cheap super ****ty guitars, or the incredibly expensive (and marked up because it's left handed) good guitars. There are actually plenty of high end lefty guitars, lots of Gibsons, Fenders, a few Ibanez here and there, a lot of Schecter, Larivee, Martin, Taylor and so on, but often I've been stuck ordering it in before I could even play it.
I agree with bangoodcharlote. You will progress at the same rate, regardless of which hand is domanint or which type of guitar you are playing. You will have to learn new wrist and arm movements which you have never done before, regardless of which hand you are picking with.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
I have to go and take a shower, so I don't have the time to finish reading all of the thread, but a very, VERY good tip would be to do lots and lots and ****ing LOTS of exercises. I've been playing for almost a year, and because I do lots of picking and fretting exercises I'm already faster and more accurate than some of my friends who have been playing for 4+ years.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by Iron_Dude
I agree with bangoodcharlote. You will progress at the same rate, regardless of which hand is domanint or which type of guitar you are playing. You will have to learn new wrist and arm movements which you have never done before, regardless of which hand you are picking with.

Everything we do with our hands and arms for the first time requires learning new hand or wrist movements.

The first time you picked up a pencil in your life you had to learn how to write. If what your saying is true, teachers would simply make everyone do it with their right hand for the sake of simplicity's sake. This was actually tried at some point, it simply didn't work.

You'll never be able to throw a ball with your off hand as well as you will with your dominant hand. If you make a kid who's never thrown a ball before throw it with their off hand, and then their on hand, there will always be more accuracy and power with their dominant hand.

Recently I got bored and sat down at our drummers kit when he was in the washroom. I have never played drums in my life. I couldn't hold a beat to save my life. I switched the snare and the hi-hat around, and I could hold the beat easily.

Take anything you've never done before and try it the opposite way your body tells you that you should be doing it. Then do it the way that feels natural. Tell me which worked better, and tell me why the guitar should be an exception to this rule?

You basically eliminate all natural ability when you do something the opposite way that feels natural.

edit: that said, I'll shut up now since this is completely off topic, and the TC does feel playing right handed is more natural. Meaning my point doesn't really even apply here
Last edited by icronic at Jun 22, 2008,
I'll tell you this, if you keep practicing, everything you try to play now, will one day be second nature and require no effort. I know it seems like the hardest thing in the world, but don't give up, it's worth it.
Quote by Iron_Dude

Im not sure if I agree with this. The guitar has always felt more natural to play right handed and feels awkward to play left handed.