Ok, so i'm getting rid of my Cube in a few months because I don't need all the wattage. And i was just thinking of getting a small practice amp to suit my needs. but of course it was going to be a small SS amp (Microcube).

But I've realized that it's time that i upgrade to tubes. I'm pretty set on getting the Peavey Valveking Royal 8. But I'm going to need some pedals to push it into the Death Metal zone, if it can even get there.

What do I need to push the amp all the way there? You can look on my profile to get an idea of what I play. I don't see myself using that many effects I'm looking at a pretty dry tone. Like a Distortion, Noise Gate, EQ, maybe some Compression.

First of all, can the amp even get there? and what do I need as far as a Distortion pedal to reach it.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Blackstar HT dual? They're valve driven, so you can use that with a SS amp and I imagine it'll sound kind of 'tubey'.

www.blackstaramps.co.uk

EDIT: Just seen you're getting a VK, sorry. Maybe a Tubescreamer, Maxon, RAT?
Last edited by Tom_hatton at Jun 21, 2008,
Quote by Vandals572
I doubt you will get a good deathmetal tone out of a VK

thats what i was thinking, but i wasn't quite sure. if I can't then i'll just stick with getting the Microcube for now then saving up money after i get my 8 string to buy a better rig.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
The cube 60 is a nice amp why do you want to change it. You can turn it down and it still sounds good and you have power should you decide to jam with some friends.
well i find it kind of pointless to have all the wattage and never use it. i'd rather spend the money on something that will sound better.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
My thinking is that by the time you sell the cube 60 will you be able to get anything that really sounds any better. I had a cube 60 and a 5w valve junior at the same time and I can't really say that the VJ sounded any better at low volumes at higher volume the VJ could do that nice tubey break up and would be nicely touch sensetive to how hard you would pick and my wife and kids would scream and the nieghbours would probably complain so the cube 60 was better for playing a lower volumes. Now I have a Traynor YVC20 and that is the same hard to get good crunch at low volumes but the clean it is nice.
Yes I have the small tube combo 5w valve junior a modded one and had the cube 60 at the same time. At the end of the day I could get as good or better sound from the cube 60 at a lower volume. The cube 60 could also give me a wider range of sounds than the VJ. Those small 5w tube amps are not all that great the valve junior needs some mods I didn't like the peavey, the champ 600 was the sweetest sounding stock and clean but a 6 inch speaker is really to small and it came out after I purchased the valve junior. If you want an amp that does a very loud broken up bluesy sound then the small 5 w tube amps are ok but they don't have anywhere near the high gain sounds of the cube 60.