i have an epiphone les paul standard and i just cant get it set up correctly.
i adjust the truss rod, change action, intonation etc..
i get it set up perfect and wen i go back to play it the low strings rattle like crazy.
i know for this i should raise the action but that makes the rattle even worse
You adjusted your own truss rod, without experience? Take it to a shop immediately. Who knows what you've done with the neck. Just for ****s and giggles, care to tell us how many timkes you turned the screw in the truss rod, and which direction?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by philipp122
You adjusted your own truss rod, without experience? Take it to a shop immediately. Who knows what you've done with the neck. Just for ****s and giggles, care to tell us how many timkes you turned the screw in the truss rod, and which direction?

heh heh heh, yes, do tell...
take it to a shop..now..don't even waste time here..just run with guitar in hand..now.go
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
Quote by philipp122

And how do you know that he has no experience? He didn't say. And y'know while experience is nice and all...how the f*** you gonna learn if you don't try? I adjusted the truss rod on my first guitar with no prior experience...later a friend(with about 20 years experience playing and maintaining guitars) tells me its perfect(before he knew I adjusted it). Just saying...take it easy on us little(read n00bs) guys, we won't get the experience of you older wiser dudes unless we try and eff up.
Chaos

Quote by Phobos&Deimos
I never brag about how incredibly awesome I am.

Quote by Sykonatiac
And how do you know that he has no experience? He didn't say. And y'know while experience is nice and all...how the f*** you gonna learn if you don't try? I adjusted the truss rod on my first guitar with no prior experience...later a friend(with about 20 years experience playing and maintaining guitars) tells me its perfect(before he knew I adjusted it). Just saying...take it easy on us little(read n00bs) guys, we won't get the experience of you older wiser dudes unless we try and eff up.

Ah... but TS has no experience. You can tell because someone with experience would know what is actually making the rattling noise.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by Xx Andy xX
i have an epiphone les paul standard and i just cant get it set up correctly.
i adjust the truss rod, change action, intonation etc..
i get it set up perfect and wen i go back to play it the low strings rattle like crazy.
i know for this i should raise the action but that makes the rattle even worse

Hmmm... have you checked out the pickups? I have an Ibanez hollowbody and was getting a horrible rattle out of it that was actually coming from the pickup covers. See if they're the problem, and adjust them accordingly if that's the case.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by evening_crow
Ah... but TS has no experience. You can tell because someone with experience would know what is actually making the rattling noise.

True, you do have a point there. But again, we have to get our experience somewhere. Though...if I'd have known then the damage I could have potentially caused when I adjusted the truss rod...I'd have NEVER done it.
Chaos

Quote by Phobos&Deimos

Quote by Sykonatiac
True, you do have a point there. But again, we have to get our experience somewhere. Though...if I'd have known then the damage I could have potentially caused when I adjusted the truss rod...I'd have NEVER done it.

what CAN it do? sorry im a noob
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by Hoodoo Child
what CAN it do? sorry im a noob

Snap the neck in half and make you drop to your knees and cry like a baby.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Snap the neck in half and make you drop to your knees and cry like a baby.

lol yup. Especially when its a $2000 guitar that you spent 6 months saving up for.
Chaos

Quote by Phobos&Deimos

I'll post how to check what's wrong with it in a min. I had edited my last post but my internet froze cuz it was pretty long. UG should check that (a lot of users' browsers freeze with long posts).

EDIT: what string gauge (size) are you using and for what tunning? Light strings will rattle no matter what if used in a low tunning like drop c.

First, check ur neck's bow to see if you need to adjust the truss rod.

Start by pressing down the low e string on the first and last fret and check the gap between the string and the 12 fret while doing so. That gap should be about as thick as a credit card or id. Now do the same on the high e string. If the gap's too big u need to tighten the truss rod (turn right if i'm not mistaken... do 1/8th of a turn at a time whith the strings loose. tune up, check, and repeat if needed). If it's too small or u have no gap u have to loosen the truss rod in the same way (to the left though). If the gaps on both strings are noticeably uneven take it to a shop since the neck is probably warped.

im using .10 gauge strings.
and to be honest i dont have any experience with adjusting the truss rod but im just wondering why the guitar is fine 1 minute then next time i play i get string buzz.
If all that's ok and u still get fret buzz then check the action.

Play every note on every string to find any buzzing. If you have any, raise the action a little bit (usually it'll be a set of frets, like 12-15 or 7-10). If you do that and u still get buzz on one fret then it's probably just a high fret. U can sand it down a little bet to level it up with the others. It's common if u get more fret buzz on the low strings or high strings only due to the difference in sizes.

Quote by Xx Andy xX
im using .10 gauge strings.
and to be honest i dont have any experience with adjusting the truss rod but im just wondering why the guitar is fine 1 minute then next time i play i get string buzz.

Hmm... that's weird. Sometimes the small individual bridges (the ones u move for intonation) get a bit loose and rattle. Also, sometimes the strings may be too small for the wedge in the bridges and rattle there (is the rattling string the b string? i've seen a lot of guitars with that). Try tightening it if possible... or just punch it! It's worked with the guitars i've tried that had that since it kinda settles things in place.

Oh, and sorry if i was rude for saying u have no experience. You guys are right, we need to get experience somewhere. Just do some research to be informed on what it is you need to do and how to do it correctly before u do any adjustments. That's what i did before fixing anything i wasn't sure of and now my friends always ask me to set up their guitars and basses (so far i've set up about 6 instruments... truss rod, action, intonation, and new strings).

Last edited by evening_crow at Jun 21, 2008,
at the moment the only time its buzzing is open A string and a little on the low E string.
it was probably pretty stupid adjusting the truss rod but thats just what im like
Hmm... it could still be the action but to be honest it could also be a warped neck. Take it to a shop just to be safe.

Good luck dude.