Well I have guitar rig 2 but no interface to connect my guitar into my comp. I heard you can take your guitar 1/4 in wire and make it 1/8in to connect it to your computer's mic jack is this possible? I have a jackson dinky and a peavy vavlve king but no effects and i wanted to tryout the simulated amps+effects on guitar rig.
What about guitar + USB + computer?

Dont wanna hijack thread, but still...
You could go with a vox amplug and a 1/8 in line-in wire and connect it to your computer's mic jack. It's a cheap way of doing it.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
You are gonna need two patch cables.

A 1/4" to 1/4
and a 1/4" to 1/8" (this one may need to be a straight 1/4" with an 1/8" adapter on one end to plug into the computer.

The 1/4 one will be for your guitar to the direct box(to make the signal balanced or line level so you don't fry your sound card or get a distorted sound).

Then the 1/4" to 1/8" to go from direct box to computer.

There is a cable available that does 1/4" to USB, last time I seen one they were going for around 80-100bucks CAD. Never tried them out though, not sure what type of latency they offer.

PS: make sure the direct box is an active one, they handle instruments better than passive.
Quote by SungWismyName
What does sustain,pickup, and humblewockey(its wrong but it sounds liek this) mean on electric guitars?
Also remember stereo vs. mono plugs are different. The guitar cable has 1 black band around it making it a mono plug. One positive contact, and one negative, or ground, contact. A stereo plug will have 2 black bands around it, separating the positives of the left and right channels from the ground. Make sure your mic input of the pc is a mono input or else the jack probably won't work right. The contacts of the jack won't match up to the contacts of the plug. Most pc mic inputs are mono tho, so it shouldn't be a problem. But since there are such critters as stereo mics, it's best to check beforehand to make sure you buy the right thing.
I rekon you'll need one of these and you should be good to go:

Quote by Lastin
You are gonna need two patch cables.

A 1/4" to 1/4
and a 1/4" to 1/8" (this one may need to be a straight 1/4" with an 1/8" adapter on one end to plug into the computer.

The 1/4 one will be for your guitar to the direct box(to make the signal balanced or line level so you don't fry your sound card or get a distorted sound).

Then the 1/4" to 1/8" to go from direct box to computer.

There is a cable available that does 1/4" to USB, last time I seen one they were going for around 80-100bucks CAD. Never tried them out though, not sure what type of latency they offer.

PS: make sure the direct box is an active one, they handle instruments better than passive.
direct input box? remeber i dont want to spend more than 20 dollars on this whole thing
Quote by amd123
direct input box? remeber i dont want to spend more than 20 dollars on this whole thing

direct box cost around 20 bucks, other wise, fry some of your equipment without it, then you'll be paying more than just 20 bucks...
Quote by SungWismyName
What does sustain,pickup, and humblewockey(its wrong but it sounds liek this) mean on electric guitars?
^Care to explain just how he's going to fry some of his equipment without a direct box? Guitar + cable and adapter + PC = guitar recorded on the pc. What's gonna fry? Last I knew, guitars were an unamplified signal, same as line out of a cd player. Or are you assuming he's going to plug an amplified signal from one of his amps into the line in/mic in of his pc? From what I gathered, he doesn't have any effects with his current selection of amps and want's to use Guitar Rig to add some effects to his guitar. It'll work with just the guitar and cable straight into the pc, no amps involved. And with the added bonus of only paying out a couple bucks for the plug adapter.
Quote by LeftyDave
^Care to explain just how he's going to fry some of his equipment without a direct box? What's gonna fry? Last I knew, guitars were an unamplified signal, same as line out of a cd player. Or are you assuming he's going to plug an amplified signal from one of his amps into the line in/mic in of his pc? From what I gathered, he doesn't have any effects with his current selection of amps and want's to use Guitar Rig to add some effects to his guitar. It'll work with just the guitar and cable straight into the pc, no amps involved. And with the added bonus of only paying out a couple bucks for the plug adapter.

maybe maybe.... but a signal coming straight out of a guitar is an unbalanced signal, not line level, like the type of signal required for his input into his sound card.

the direct box 'balances' the signal, making it less 'hot' so he won't fry his card

"Guitar + cable and adapter + PC = guitar recorded on the pc." = risky business, i have recorded before by plugging my guitar directly into my pc, sound quality wasn't the greatest and gain level or dB rating is almost impossible to control without anything attenuating the signal.
Quote by SungWismyName
Quote by Lastin
maybe maybe.... but a signal coming straight out of a guitar is an unbalanced signal, not line level, like the type of signal required for his input into his sound card.

the direct box 'balances' the signal, making it less 'hot' so he won't fry his card

"Guitar + cable and adapter + PC = guitar recorded on the pc." = risky business, i have recorded before by plugging my guitar directly into my pc, sound quality wasn't the greatest and gain level or dB rating is almost impossible to control without anything attenuating the signal.

Right on. Makes sense. What if the guitar were to have active electronics in it versus passive?
I Think you can have USB... Dosent the Stealth Plug go into USB?
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Quote by LeftyDave
Right on. Makes sense. What if the guitar were to have active electronics in it versus passive?

The active electronics would only give your guitar a kind of 'pre-amp' so the signal from the pickups isn't degraded as it travels along the cable to the amp (this is why they need a battery, not to power the pickups themselves, but a small boost for the signal). Passive pickups loose a lot of their tone, mostly mid and high level frequencies while retaining the lower ones. The signal is still unbalanced, only difference being the range of frequencies being put through to the amp or whatever destination.

As for buying a direct box, they can be purchased from any local radioshack/the source, any music store should have them, or can order them. They are extremely cheap to build also if you got your own soldering gear, supplies are cheap from any electronics store. Biuld it for around 5bucks, or purchase a new one for around 20bucks. There are some that can cost 100's of dollars, but when it comes to direct boxes, all you need from them is the balanced signal they output, so all the other bells and whistles are redundant and are better invested in with higher end equipment.

Make sure it's an active type direct box again. Passive types send a very low level signal, these are better used for vocals and sometimes preferred by bass players.
Quote by SungWismyName
you can save up some money and buy a guitarport.

it's a small red box which connects to your PC with the USB interface so the setup looks like this:

guitar (plug) ==> guitarport (usb plug) ==> PC

it comes with amp/cab/effects simulator software too

i use it all the time at evening/night then i play with my headset on, it's great!
you can record it too (i use adobe audition)
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Lightsnake cable is what you need. The STUSBG10 model.

It's a $30 guitar to USB cable. The USB end includes a signal booster, noise reduction and analog to digital converter. It has a built in splitter so you can still connect to your amp while connected to the USB. It's similar to the Stealth that's been mentioned a view times but it's a thicker more durable cable. It's also 1/4 the price because it doesn't come with any software. There's plenty of free / open source software that works just as well.

I picked one up last month and works fine for what I need. It's a class compliant USB so it doesn't need any drivers like some of the other devices I looked at that only included Windoze drivers. Just plug it in and you're ready to go.