I'm hoping to start this to get advice and for noobs or unknowing people to have a place to ask for what kind of pickups they can swap out of cheaper guitars to make them instantly better. Also, what kind of pickups work best with certain genres of music. Seeing as pickup swapping is the easiest and most effective way to change tone I really don't know why one of these is already up and running.

First question... I have an Epi G-400 custom '65 reissue, and I play harder classic rock and metal? What would be the best treble pickup to switch out and have an easier time with pinch harmonics, and generally heavier i.e.(more gain and clarity) tone??
I'm looking at either a Gibson Iommi 'bucker, or a Seymour Duncan (but which one?)
Quote by wannaberocker19
I'm hoping to start this to get advice and for noobs or unknowing people to have a place to ask for what kind of pickups they can swap out of cheaper guitars to make them instantly better. Also, what kind of pickups work best with certain genres of music. Seeing as pickup swapping is the easiest and most effective way to change tone I really don't know why one of these is already up and running.

First question... I have an Epi G-400 custom '65 reissue, and I play harder classic rock and metal? What would be the best treble pickup to switch out and have an easier time with pinch harmonics, and generally heavier i.e.(more gain and clarity) tone??
I'm looking at either a Gibson Iommi 'bucker, or a Seymour Duncan (but which one?)

There's gonna be some trouble in this thread...

Anyways, since you play a lot of metal, you might want to try a DiMarzio pup. Air Nortons are pretty decent, as are Evos for the bridge position.

By the way, what amp are you playing through?
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Right now I play through either a Vox AD30VT, a Epi Blues Custom 30, or Crate 15GLX with 2x12 extension... What I play isn't generally metal, but Sabbath, Zeppelin, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Bush, one or two from Metallica, grungy, not metal...
I'd say go for something PAF-like.
Vintage style, maybe a little overowund on the bridge pickup, and just turn it up and DRIVE THOSE TUBES.
If you're gonna go high-dollar on pickups though, get a gibson 490R/498T.
Or go for the poor man's(i.e. my) alternative.
GFS vintage 59 neck (guitarfetish.com)
Rockfield SWC bridge.

They'll both work, you just gotta remember to work not only on your tone knob, your volume, and your EQ, but also your attack, and height of your pickups.

Consider angus young's rig was a 1964 SG Standard and two marshall 100W heads and 2 4x12 cabinets, all at half volume, you know that with older PAF-pickups are a player's issue, not a gear thing.

You don't have to go high dollar anymore, seeing as the best pickup designs in history are on open season to whoever.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by wannaberocker19

Duncan Custom 5 wins here by a mile.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by forsaknazrael
Not true. Pickup swaps tweak your tone - they don't totally change it. Your amp is far more responsible for your tone than your pickups. So a pickup swap isn't really that effective.

+1

I missed that...the easiest, most effective way to change your tone isn't to perform surgery on it. Things like turning knobs or standing on a pedal are easier, more effective and also cheaper.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Geesh! Srry, but I was talking about like taking a Squier and dropping a Hot Rails in it, and you have an almost awesome guitar, depending on the setup... Like my G-400, the only thing bad on it are the pickups, great action, setup, maestro trem, grover tuners, only thing it needs are new p-ups...
All I can say is...
Bare Knuckle pickups.

/thread
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
Quote by wannaberocker19
Geesh! Srry, but I was talking about like taking a Squier and dropping a Hot Rails in it, and you have an almost awesome guitar, depending on the setup... Like my G-400, the only thing bad on it are the pickups, great action, setup, maestro trem, grover tuners, only thing it needs are new p-ups...

The Hot Rails isn't that good of a pickup, FYI.

I'll agree with you about the G-400 part...but on modeling amps, I don't see much point in a pickup swap. Why not save some cash and get a nice tube combo?