Is there any significant difference besides the price? Im looking to get one and a new amp but im wondering if it would be worth it to hold out for the MIA (which is out of my price range right now, and will continue to be for quite a while) or if I should just get the other one this week.
know this is stating the obvious but one is made in mexico the other in america :P I would say none, as most fenders dont hold tune brilliantly in my oppinion. I would recommend a blade maybe, much more versatile. But i would say MIA
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
....I dont want to sound like a jerk with my response....but you just said that theres no real difference, and then told me to buy the one that costs twice as much...What am I supposed to get from that, its almost contradictory.
If you have the money to spend, get the MIA.
If you are trying to save money or are on a budget, get the MIM.

I dont think there are HUGE differences between the two.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by Varkunus
know this is stating the obvious but one is made in mexico the other in america :P I would say none, as most fenders dont hold tune brilliantly in my oppinion. I would recommend a blade maybe, much more versatile. But i would say MIA

no differences? The difference is easily noticeable! I own a MIA but I did have a MIM so I am able to compare...

The MIM is a great guitar, but the MIA just felt much nicer, and seemed more playable. The MIM neevr held its tuning that great after lots of bending / heavy vibrato but the MIA holds its tuning extremely well, even after lots of dive bombing. The american also sounds better, the body resonated better and the pickups were better. The tremolo is much better. Overall the MIA's are just better guitars in my opinion. I admit the price difference probably doesnt warrant the improvements though, seems kinda steep but an american strat is a great workhorse guitar. Can't go wrong with it really..
my guitar teacher, a very wise man.. told me it's the same guitar, just assembled in different places. basically.. same parts, but the MIA is more "perfect"
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
There are differences obviously. The MIA's are better quality. That being said, the MIMs are well built and a great value and a good quality guitar for $400.

MIA purists will tell you to buy nothing else. If I was saving for a MIA i would still be saving and missing out on the playability of a strat. Besides, you can always get a MIM, learn some stuff, fall in love, sell it at a good price, and then buy a MIA when you are ready. That is my advice.

Plus, you need an amp, and the amp you chosoe is equally important. It will have more to do with your tone than an MIA vs MIM imo.

Here is a little linky if find helpful.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=101934

What is your total budget and if you decide to go MIM now we can help you find an amp now - or over in Guitar Gear and Accessories.

EDIT: Oh, and use the Search Bar bro this covered just about every day.

my 2 cents
<anti MIM flame blocker>
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 21, 2008,
theres a site where a guy compares the 2 in detail but i cant find it 1 2004 mia and somthin else i think.. with pictures and all
Well... in my opinion MIMs are pretty good actually. You would have to check it first before you buy it though. My tele mim feels great and stuff, but i'll admit that i've tried other mims and they were nowhere near mine in terms of playability.

If you still wanna hold out on buying a MIA you can get a MIM and replace the pickups with the Fender Noiseless or the Custom Shop Cobalt Samarium set (i believe these are the ones found on some MIAs).
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
i seriously think the major differences people say are placebos. How could so many people justify spending twice as much for something that feels almost the same? So they go into really fine details: the MiA stays in tune better, the MiA trem is smoother, etc.

i could be wrong. but i think believe the MiA is better cause it costs so much more.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
Quote by Jammin'
my guitar teacher, a very wise man.. told me it's the same guitar, just assembled in different places. basically.. same parts, but the MIA is more "perfect"

that's not totally true but i'm not going to get into it now.

eithway, the MIM is a well built guitar and will hold value.
Quote by Jammin'

Your guitar teacher is an idiot.

The body weighs more on the MIA

The neck is a different shape on both

The tuners, bridge and pickups are different

The wood/wood qualty is different

The MIA is made from much better materials but you may find the neck shape, body weight, sound is more to your liking on the MIM.

They're both affordable instruments that are well made for the price.
Quote by Skar578
i seriously think the major differences people say are placebos. How could so many people justify spending twice as much for something that feels almost the same? So they go into really fine details: the MiA stays in tune better, the MiA trem is smoother, etc.

i could be wrong. but i think believe the MiA is better cause it costs so much more.

Cost doesn't completely justify quality. Look at Gibson for example: most of their guitars are over-priced only due to aesthetic reasons, the name on the headstock, and because they're asembled in the US. To be honest though their quality control has gone a bit down in the past 2 decades or so yet their prices stay high. I know this because there's several stories here of ppl playing Gibsons that were rather crappy for their price.

Now... the MIA are a bit better than MIMs, but I personally don't think their cost completely justifies that difference. Yes, they do use some better parts but still... If you look around you'll be able to find MIMs that come really close to your average MIA.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Jun 21, 2008,