It depends how good the mic and P.A is. If you have a standard Shure SM57 going through a mid level P.A, you should be fine. It won't be the exact same sound (depending on how well you can place a mic) but it should be okay
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Most mics do colour the sound, some more than others. But in the more professional range of mics the difference is really only noticeable by audiophiles.
Quote by lpmarshall
is there a loss of tone if you mic your amps and put it into the PA, when using tube amps?

Not unless you have a crap PA and a retarded sound engineer.

Any self-respecting band playing to 200+ people will be micing their amps through a PA, do you think they'd be doing it if it was bad for the sound?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Not unless you have a crap PA and a retarded sound engineer.

No, only if you have a **** mic, the PA shouldn't whatsoever touch the sound, it all comes from the mic, and if it colors the sound, some mics do it a lot, go with the shure sm57.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by DSchmitty
No, only if you have a **** mic, the PA shouldn't whatsoever touch the sound, it all comes from the mic, and if it colors the sound, some mics do it a lot, go with the shure sm57.

Believe it or not, some PA systems have this crazy thing... EQ! And get this... they actually change the sound!
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by DSchmitty

The PA has a massive effect on the sound - there's a reason they invented 31 band graphiq EQs, plus there's usually 2 of them...one for FOH and one for monitors. Then you've the individual tone sweeps on the board and the small matter of balancing levels.

There's a reason you always buy the sound guy a beer at a battle of the bands....
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com