Page 1 of 2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f4VScg2IQrc

"And a former special forces solider turned stuntman, is training for a death-defying jump. He plans to do two jumps from heights up to 120,000 feet, thats more than 20 miles above the surface of the earth. Lets go to that story:

Risking life and limb is all in a day's work for professional stuntman and former special forces soldier Steve Truglia.

Now the 45-year old is preparing for the biggest stunt of all:

Later this year, Truglia plans to pilot a hot air balloon 120,000 feet to the edge of space - then JUMP.
"

do you think it will happen?
That's an interesting way to die.
Proud member of the UG Hate Crew

Laguna Loire of the Final Fantasy Elites - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Later this year, Truglia plans to pilot a hot air balloon 120,000 feet to the edge of space - then JUMP."

He'll end up on the moon, theres no gravity out there

top gun quote
-Geronimo!*jumps out of plane*
-Meeeeeee!*yeah, jumps*
in the original post i see nothing about a parachute, which i assume he'll be wearing?
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by szekelymihai
He'll end up on the moon, theres no gravity out there

top gun quote
-Meeeeeee!*yeah, jumps*

Yes there is. You are 'weightless' because you are in a freefall. He'll burn up on reentry.
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
anyone ever care to think that's there's hardly any air at the edge of space?

there's hardly any air at the summit of Mount Evarest*sp* let alone at the edge of ****ing space.

He'll just have to hold his breath then!
I've heard about some dude falling 50.000 feet and surviving. He didn't do it voluntarily though, his parachute didn't work.
He used some techniques to slow down, and landed in a specific way. IIRC he only broke his leg and dislocated his shoulder.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Quote by szekelymihai

top gun quote
-Meeeeeee!*yeah, jumps*

FAIL, that quote is from Hot Shots 2.

That jump seems quite possible. I mean he is not gonna reach speeds of over 300 km/h or anything
he should be careful he doesn't doze off I mean, it's so high in the sky it must take you ages to get back to earth.
Really badass. It would be more badass if he jumped with a guitar.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by TEK34
Terminal speed for a human is 150mph I think, it will take him under 5 minutes.

That's when trying to slow yourself down. If he goes headfirst, the speed will be much greater.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
He wont get that high. The balloon wont go that high.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

He would burn to death because of the velocity, gravity and air resistance being so high wouldn't he?

But still, it will be amazing.

If the average jump lastas about 3 minutes from jumping to landing, I do wonder how long this will last
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
While I was reading this thread, Free Fallin' came on.
And you would hit terminal velocity a long time before you got fast enough to burn up^.
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
Its going to be funny...at the speed he'll be going, he's going to tear himself apart.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

No he will not, the speed does not depend on the distance fallen but instead the time, and also the acceleration. The person in freefall will after a few seconds reach the terminal velocity, and the person will not exceed that speed no matter how far or for which amount of time the person falls.
Quote by Osten1770
No he will not, the speed does not depend on the distance fallen but instead the time, and also the acceleration. The person in freefall will after a few seconds reach the terminal velocity, and the person will not exceed that speed no matter how far or for which amount of time the person falls.

Not the point.

Once he reaches terminal velocity, he'll be going fast enough so that when his parachute opens, it will either slow him down, or it will rip off of him. If the second occurs, he smashes into the ground at 150 mph. If the first occurs, he's likely to whiplash.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I think that its one of those things where people don't really think it all of the way through... Think of a feather... although the feather is much lighter, all it does is float down. If he finds someway to slow down his speed and "float" until about the height where you sky dive from, he could live... I know a guy that was high when he jumped from skydiving, forgot to pull his parachute and lived, although he broke some bones.
Quote by valennic
Not the point.

Once he reaches terminal velocity, he'll be going fast enough so that when his parachute opens, it will either slow him down, or it will rip off of him. If the second occurs, he smashes into the ground at 150 mph. If the first occurs, he's likely to whiplash.

well, considering that when you jump out of a plane, you are at terminal velocity when you pull the parachute.
Well isn't that only if he decide to reach the highest possible terminal velocity of humans( something like 614 mph). it should be possible to fall in a spread position so that you increase the drag and thus lower the terminal velocity so that you don't rip your chute.

And doesn't parachuters all over the world do the same thing only at lower altitudes but still reaching terminal velocity. They survive without injury(most of them) don't they?
Quote by gm jack
That's when trying to slow yourself down. If he goes headfirst, the speed will be much greater.

no, once you reach a certain speed, you stop picking up..well speed
no sig for me
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
anyone ever care to think that's there's hardly any air at the edge of space?

there's hardly any air at the summit of Mount Evarest*sp* let alone at the edge of ****ing space.

Good catch Sherlock!

I suppose that will mean he will have to do something crazy like use an oxygen tank or something huh?

/extreme sarcasm

Wow, tohugh, that is truly amazing. I wish I had the balls to do something like that, it must be amazing...
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by pbpyro91
no, once you reach a certain speed, you stop picking up..well speed

It's relative to the amount of wind resistance though. Terminal velocity when belly first will be less than when head first.
true, and he will likely be going belly first and not head first, since that would most likely give him the world record of freefalling velocity, wich i might wanna have to. But I'd go belly down
It's the threads like this that show that The Pit isn't a bunch of knobs sitting on computers all day who know nothing other than WoW etc Some ****in smart people in here lol.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Quote by zippidyduda
Good catch Sherlock!

I suppose that will mean he will have to do something crazy like use an oxygen tank or something huh?

I've thought about that but threw away the idea since I thought his parachute was on his back leaving no room for said tank.

Then I remembered S.C.U.B.A divers sometimes carry theirs on long dives.

So there goes my statement
Meh, I've heard of stuff similar.

Reminds me of Joseph Kittinger who did similar jumps back in the 1960s. He jumped from over 102,000 feet.

Here's a video of it, set to Pelican's amazing masterpiece "gw".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n2AICdVv3g

Also, Kittinger's Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kittinger

And the Wiki of what the jumps were for (Project Excelsior): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Excelsior
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by valennic
He wont get that high. The balloon wont go that high.

Yes it will. And no he won't get pulled apart when his parachute opens.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Page 1 of 2