not sure if its the right place for this but, im in a punk band, and im having trouble writing good solid punk riffs...kind of a punk/grunge band i guess...punk guitar and grungy nirvana type vocals...any help on writing punk riffs?
Power chord + power chord + power chord + one more power chord if you want the progressive element = what you're looking for.
play around the A and G scales if you mean lick

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Last edited by Nagashiro at Jun 21, 2008,
Learn you basic Major and Minor full scales and pentatonics.

lay around with 5 chords, (power chords), get your verses and chorus'es. Then use basic scales to put a lead over it.

If your not keen on thr basic major and minors get a blues scale, I love them and think the blues scale is one of the most versitile scales out there.
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
also mutting

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Quote by Nagashiro
play around the A and G scales if you mean lick

And if he's not in the key of A or the key of G?

Learn the major/minor and major/pentatonics solidly, throw in palm muted power chords and add a lead with a few notes on top featuring a few little slides.
Make up a riff on the the EAD strings that sounds cool repeated. Just do single notes at first maybe sing along to it or something untill you get something that can repeat. Now play the same thing but with powerchords adding palm mutes for spice and let it evolve from their.

Ive never wrote punk stuff but i often make powerchord based riffs while tooling around that sound like punk songs when not trying. Just dont think to much about it just keep ****ing around youll find something sooner or later. Weed helps lol.
pick 3 or 4 chords, any 3 or 4 chords. play fast with a little distortion. sneer.

this is the formula for every true punk song ever written.