If you know who he is, awesome! For those of you who don't know, James Murphy was probably the most sought after death metal guitarist of the '90's. He has appeared on albums from Cancer, Death, Obituary, and Testament. He also put together his own band, Disincarnate, who released only one album titled Dreams of the Carrion Kind. In addition, he also released two solo albums titled Convergence and Feeding The Machine which stray from the usual death metal formula, but are fantastic records nonetheless. He is largely unspoken, but deserves just as much credit as well known '90's death metal giants Trey Azagthoth or Chuck Schuldiner, so I made this thread for him. The last I'd heard, he was on "hiatus" from music while recovering from brain cancer... I'm not too informed on his current state of recovery, but I hope to see him make music again one day.

So feel free to find his genius and discuss!
Thanks for the history lesson. It was most informative...

Anyway, last thing he did that I heard bout was a few guest solos on the Roadrunner United album. Good ****, as usual for James Murphy.
Obituary's Cause of Death has the greatest metal solo ever made.... and who's it by? our man James Murphy.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Quote by to_the_grave
Thanks for the history lesson. It was most informative...

Anyway, last thing he did that I heard bout was a few guest solos on the Roadrunner United album. Good ****, as usual for James Murphy.

oh yeah, I forgot about the RRU thing...

well, then, he can obvoiusly play still, so what the hell is he doing now?
Mikael shoulda picked him up...
goddamn, that woulda been awesome!
James Murphy
LOVE his solos on Spiritual Healing specifically on Living Monstrosity and Low Life.
Cause of Death and Infected solos are purely orgasmic.
Never actually hears any of his Disincarnate stuff
Must.
Buy.
Solo.
Records.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by Shining_Yrael
Must.
Buy.
Solo.
Records.

yes... they are probably his best work.
I really liked his performance on Testament's Low and The Gathering, but he does some really wicked stuff on the solo albums... plus, some of the best tone ever put to digital disc.
He has quite a distinct style/sound. I've been preaching about him to my Music loving mates, and showing them his "style" that has influenced so many other Metal Guitarists, it seems .
I think he's the most overlooked death metal guitarist... even just metal guitarist in general. I get the feeling that there isn't anything he couldn't play... a true master of his axe. Seriously, y'all should check out Disincarnate... the vox are kinda "standard issue" death metal vox, but he lays down such a thick and heavy groove on that album. I think it's kinda cool how he didn't put together an "all star cast" like he could've anyway... just a coupla "regular guys" playing some seriously brutal death metal!
I reckon I will check that album out then

But I just looked up his Solo stuff on MA...... and WOW what a line-up list he had, on both albums, I'm looking into getting them now .

(I've been branching out into a lot of Jazz Fusion / Soloist / Instrumental stuff lately, so I think this will do nicely)
Quote by Monkey_Bassist
I reckon I will check that album out then

But I just looked up his Solo stuff on MA...... and WOW what a line-up list he had, on both albums, I'm looking into getting them now .

(I've been branching out into a lot of Jazz Fusion / Soloist / Instrumental stuff lately, so I think this will do nicely)

might be n00bish question, but what's MA?
Metal Archives....

... n00b.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Great technician and stylist, but like many professional band *****s, he was too often not willing to adapt his style to the bands he joined (I love Cause of Death, but at times his signature style clashes with Obituary's basic approach). Personally, I'd say most of his best work is concentrated on Disincarnate's Dreams of the Carrion Kind.
he was a good guitarist

theres a guy at my school called james murphy, he plays with warhammer and inspects peoples sandwhiches
Ok got and listened to his Solo Album "Feeding Machine" excellent upon first impression, lots of variation and HEAPS of his signature sound/feel . Just listening to the other Solo Album "Convergence" now
Overrated. But good nonetheless.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
the Disincarnate record is a great piece of death metal
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by Laeth MacLaurie
Great technician and stylist, but like many professional band *****s, he was too often not willing to adapt his style to the bands he joined (I love Cause of Death, but at times his signature style clashes with Obituary's basic approach). Personally, I'd say most of his best work is concentrated on Disincarnate's Dreams of the Carrion Kind.

Maybe so, but a band like Obituary must be aware of the kind of player he is and what he's likely to bring to the table... I think if a band is going to recruit a new memeber they should "take him as he is."

(listening to As I Am by DT right now, so that kinda fit... )